• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races thread 2022

Page 84 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Demare was also way too far back, both him and De Lie looked super fast compared to the rest but you can't win if you start your sprint outside the top 10.

Demare actually had a leadout but they came way too early, De Lie just lacked teammates as expected and still needs to learn how to find his way on his own. Had multiple chances to follow either Groenewegen of the Cofidis wheels but didn't go for it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
His first one was over 4 years ago, about time to get another one after all those top 10 results (has to be an absurd number).

Maybe Cofidis finally realizes now that cycling is about winning and you don't win by trying to sprint with 4 different riders. They do a leadout once and Consonni wins, he can win way more with a good leadout. He's never going to be the fastest man in the race, but he's fast enough to win if the super fast guys have some bad luck or aren't in a good position like today.

Maybe Cofidis finally realizes now that cycling is about winning and you don't win by trying to sprint with 4 different riders. They do a leadout once and Consonni wins, he can win way more with a good leadout. He's never going to be the fastest man in the race, but he's fast enough to win if the super fast guys have some bad luck or aren't in a good position like today.
He also gets over the hills better than most of the really fast guys.

to be fair, he has had loads of opportunities this year, but his sprint has never really been any good. (He is on my cq team, that's why I followed him a bit closer)
The last 2 seasons it looked like he was fighting for a podium everytime he was actually allowed to ride for himself, so you're not wrong.
Still, he got a podium in the Giro, a 2nd place in Limburg against good competition and now this win.
He needs a hilly route to put some fatigue in the legs of the top sprinters. He finished 2nd on that hilly Giro stage that Bettiol won last year and was 3rd on the Queenstage of De Panne in 2017, when Gilbert won (before winning the RVV), he can get over hills rather well.

Binche Chimay Binche (next Tuesday) will apparently have Evenepoel, Gilbert, Stuyven, Pedersen, Laporte, Lampaert, De Lie, Campenaerts, Girmay, Van Avermaert, Naesen, Demare, Ackermann, Gaviria & Merlier at the start.

That's some .1 race... (if true).
It's the last race of both Gilbert and Keisse. Two riders who at some point were mentors in Evenepoel's career. I think that is part of the reason why he has made it the only race to show off his WC jersey.

It's the last race of both Gilbert and Keisse. Two riders who at some point were mentors in Evenepoel's career. I think that is part of the reason why he has made it the only race to show off his WC jersey.

It's Gilbert's last Belgian race; he has a couple of French ones in his programme as well.
And, according to PCS, Keisse is down for Lombardia and also the Memorial Rik Van Steenbergen.
Happy for the organisers though; what a boost that must have been getting a phonemail from Lefereve saying Remco is riding.

It's Gilbert's last Belgian race; he has a couple of French ones in his programme as well.
And, according to PCS, Keisse is down for Lombardia and also the Memorial Rik Van Steenbergen.
Happy for the organisers though; what a boost that must have been getting a phonemail from Lefereve saying Remco is riding.
Ah, huh i guess i must have misunderstood that. I thought it was their last race.

Binche Chimay Binche (next Tuesday) will apparently have Evenepoel, Gilbert, Stuyven, Pedersen, Laporte, Lampaert, De Lie, Campenaerts, Girmay, Van Avermaert, Naesen, Demare, Ackermann, Gaviria & Merlier at the start.

That's some .1 race... (if true).
Awesome! And very cool as it makes Gilbert’s last race on home soil (Walloon) even more special. I bet the crowds will be huge, out to honor Belgium’s past and current world champion.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS