• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 108 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What? Isn't the current Women's EF team already part of the same organisation as the Men's EF team?

EF is only a sponsor of the team, while the founder Linda Jackson is still owner. Much like how Natascha den Ouden is still the owner owner of AGI-SQS. But it seems EF Pro Cycling haven't been satisfied with the current deal and haven't been able to convince Jackson to hand over full control of the team.

Hopefully this means Jackson thinks she has a chance to keep the team alive with new sponsors. The new EF team won't be a WWT team, unless they either manage to buy Jackson's license or the one left over from the Liv/Jayco merger.

EF is only a sponsor of the team, while the founder Linda Jackson is still owner. Much like how Natascha den Ouden is still the owner owner of AGI-SQS. But it seems EF Pro Cycling haven't been satisfied with the current deal and haven't been able to convince Jackson to hand over full control of the team.

So, less of a connection than between the Uno-X teams, but still some sort of connection?

Nope.
Well, according to the English Wikipedia page for FDJ-Suez they are, but I'm pretty sure that's outdated.
The team had existed for years before FDJ joined as a sponsor, but as we've seen with other teams, it wouldn't have stopped them from being closer connected. It doesn't seem like there's an interest though. Madiot wasn't exactly a fan of women's cycling in the 80s, but I don't know how he feels about it now.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Right, someone needs to come up with a list of which teams are actually related & which ones are misleading the fans.

Same team: Lidl Trek, DSM, Cofidis, ???

Faux teams: EF, FDJ ????

Same team: Movistar, JV, UAE-ADQ, UNO-X, Fenix-Deceuninck, HPH, St Michel - Mavic - Auber93, Lotto Dstny, Arkéa

Faux teams: AGI-SQS, IPT-Roland

But I wouldn't call it misleading the fans, since both the EF team, AGI-SQS and IPT-Roland have ties to the men's teams (some closer than others), but just have different owners.

Last edited:
Same team: Movistar, JV, UAE-ADQ, UNO-X, Fenix-Deceuninck, HPH, St Michel - Mavic - Auber93, Lotto Dstny, Arkéa

Faux teams: AGI-SQS, IPT-Roland

But I wouldn't call it misleading the fans, since both the EF team, AGI-SQS and IPT-Roland have ties to the men's teams (some closer than others), but just have different owners.

You forgot Jayco Alula which are the same team.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
The team had existed for years before FDJ joined as a sponsor, but as we've seen with other teams, it wouldn't have stopped them from being closer connected. It doesn't seem like there's an interest though. Madiot wasn't exactly a fan of women's cycling in the 80s, but I don't know how he feels about it now.

You remember Madiot's attitudes in the 80s? Well, that makes you old!

Right, someone needs to come up with a list of which teams are actually related & which ones are misleading the fans.

Same team: Lidl Trek, DSM, Cofidis, ???

Faux teams: EF, FDJ ????

I wouldn't call FDJ-Suez a faux team. They're not claiming to be connected to the men's team.

You forgot Jayco Alula which are the same team.
Everyone forgets Jayco...
You remember Madiot's attitudes in the 80s? Well, that makes you old!

I wouldn't call FDJ-Suez a faux team. They're not claiming to be connected to the men's team.
I was being tongue in cheek. Tbh, I honestly thought they were the same team, you'd have thought the different kit would've given it away.... :tearsofjoy:

It's a joke that the first 8 in the ITT are part of the WT peleton - They should not be in the race.
Due to the lack of an actual U23 scene with U23 teams, I don't think you can/should deny WWT riders entry to this race. A rider like Nienke Vinke, who has joined a WWT team this year straight out of the juniors, is the perfect example of a rider who'd still benefit from a race like this,

While you have rising stars like Realini, Niedermaier, Kerbaol, Bradbury, Van Anrooij, Van Empel and Shackley, who are clearly too good to race here, you also have riders who might be on a WWT team, but who don't necessarily have the level for WWT racing yet, and/or who don't normally get many opportunities to ride for themselves at their trade teams. I don't think it'll be bad for their development to take part here.