• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 128 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kiesenhofer is riding on the road. the other issue is the ITT rider must ride in the RR.

With the US only having two spots, it's obviously not the best scenario to have one of them go to a complete joker, but at least Knibb was gonna be in Paris anyway for the triathlon, so they'll save some money there. Also with Dygert keep getting sick and injured, it can't be ruled out that Faulkner will end up getting a spot anyway, if she isn't selected for the track team (I'm not sure how likely that is though).

It's a poor and flawed process.
At least it's better than when they were straight-up manipulating the calendar to qualify Kristin Armstrong because her coach was heading up the selection committee.

I thought we were past the era of the mayfly to a great extent now, but it seems it can still survive. The US nationals have always been a bit of an outlier there though, since they fall a month before most others, and so they require a fair amount of traveling during a busy race period for the European-based riders to participate, making them more susceptible to being won in this fashion. And the fact that the difficulties faced by the US national calendar makes this kind of one-off standalone ITT much more readily available than other road racing means you can see 'outsiders' train well for it and succeed to this day.

Yes, Amber Neben is still knocking around, and Armstrong's racing or lack thereof for several years before emerging at the Olympics twice in a row in the twilight of her career have had plenty said about them (one prominent figure in women's cycling even congratulating Anna van der Breggen on "winning double gold" at Rio, for example), while Linda Villumsen similarly would hide away in the North American calendar and emerge to win TT medals at big events, but really this has become pleasingly rare since the WWT hit its stride; the last Worlds medal for somebody not on a team at the top level was Chloe Dygert winning in 2019, and she was already an established phenom on the track and has since moved up to the WWT; that did get some stick at the time due to how outlying the performance was and the fact she emerged from the Kristin Armstrong's orbit side of US cycling, but her age bought a lot more trust than Neben or Zabelinskaya in 2016 or Armstrong in 2012 and even more so 2016 or maybe Tara Whitten in around 2015-16 to a lesser extent, and at least she didn't have a doping positive in her back pocket like Solovey in 2014.

BUT!

We should celebrate, for it is a fine day for my favourite sprinter in the women's péloton. I really did not expect that when I saw that Wiebes was still in the group and Aalerud was going to be caught. And what about Schrempf managing second after her speculative attempt to solo away with a couple of kilometres to go? I mean, I know things were marred by Balsamo crashing but it was a surprisingly clear win too.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
The US nationals have always been a bit of an outlier there though, since they fall a month before most others, and so they require a fair amount of traveling during a busy race period for the European-based riders to participate, making them more susceptible to being won in this fashion.

Except in the last several years they were held during the same time as most of the other Northern Hemisphere NCs.

Except in the last several years they were held during the same time as most of the other Northern Hemisphere NCs.
Yes, they moved them. Until 2016 they were in mid to late May, and in the mid-2000s they were in July, so they always fell at an awkward time for Europe-based competitors.

Pre-WWT that was less of a problem as the calendar was a bit more disjointed and many of the US' best riders would either stay riding in North America since it was often less worth upping sticks to Europe in the Racing In The Dark era, or would be on US-registered or sponsored teams that would factor the US domestic races and championships into their calendars.

There's really no time that would be perfect.
The same time as everybody else's championships works, because every team will already have the nationals in the calendar at that point, so it's not getting in the way of any other goals.

Hell, for a while the May time was scheduled specifically at the end of May because the WWT would be over for the Tour of California, and that makes sense. Without that Tour of California timing, however, it is an odd time to have the nationals. I mean, only two WT pros entered the men's TT.

I'm guessing that the moves have been more about America's role within the sport though, certainly on the women's side the Americans are much less prominent at the front of the péloton than they were a few years ago with Megan Guarnier, Evelyn Stevens, Tayler Wiles, Katie Hall and so on now retired, and people like Winder having taken time out and Labecki less prominent than she was a few years ago too.

Easy win for Demi in the end, but Muzic looked better than I had feared after her form seemed to be in decline after the Vuelta. I chuckled a bit when Rowsell said that Muzic loved these long, steep climbs, considering it wasn't really one of those.

Swinkels and Rüegg continue to impress me this year.