• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lessons from Lance

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Net Zero

flicker said:
I am curious to learn this. How many people has Lance as a cyclist and his iconic status brought into cycling?

Also ouside of our circle of these readers how many people has he/will he turn off to cycling?

What would the positive # of people balance with the negative amount of people?

Armstrong hasn't brought more people into cycling. If it was possible he did attract more cyclists, then you'd hear/see it at the bike shops. I still know a few people in the LBS part of the bike business and they tell me the increases in my area are due to improved bike access on roads. Otherwise, the LBS side of the business is as hard-scrabble as it was before the rise/retirement of Armstrong.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Armstrong hasn't brought more people into cycling. If it was possible he did attract more cyclists, then you'd hear/see it at the bike shops. I still know a few people in the LBS part of the bike business and they tell me the increases in my area are due to improved bike access on roads. Otherwise, the LBS side of the business is as hard-scrabble as it was before the rise/retirement of Armstrong.

Not everyone who starts to follow cycling/TdF because of a new national hero, is buying a (new) bike.
Reading and understanding can be an advantage.
I know, I heard, someone told me...bla..bla..wah..wah - no one will really believe that.
But I can imagine that US has a hard fought racebikemarket - baseball bats and basketballs are easier to sell for many reasons. :D

But Anyway, please never try to tell us again that Lord Lance didn't gave American cycling(market) a boost. Could be possible that you finally really believe that yourself, the more often you write that.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
I am curious to learn this. How many people has Lance as a cyclist and his iconic status brought into cycling?

Also ouside of our circle of these readers how many people has he/will he turn off to cycling?

What would the positive # of people balance with the negative amount of people?

In your "logic" then "The end justifies the means"??

The usual responce of the ethicaly bankrupt.:rolleyes:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
In your "logic" then "The end justifies the means"??

The usual responce of the ethicaly bankrupt.:rolleyes:

The thing I wondered is if you think people took interest in cycling because of Lance. I say yes. The other question is if the same people will run from cycling if lance takes a reallyhard spanking in the next couple of year. My opinion is that Lance did bring a lot of people into cycling, Lance and LeMond sold an awful lot of TREKS.

I think if Lance goes down the primery product TREK will lose sales but American cycling may still rise higher. Just my opinion.

I have never given a hoot about Lances' sex life, his ethics, pathos, lies truths, fraud, money in bank,etc. I just like watching the show.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Tim_sleepless said:
I've learned that he's.....

lance is awesome-flickers son

May 26, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
The thing I wondered is if you think people took interest in cycling because of Lance. I say yes. The other question is if the same people will run from cycling if lance takes a reallyhard spanking in the next couple of year. My opinion is that Lance did bring a lot of people into cycling, Lance and LeMond sold an awful lot of TREKS.

I think if Lance goes down the primery product TREK will lose sales but American cycling may still rise higher. Just my opinion.

I have never given a hoot about Lances' sex life, his ethics, pathos, lies truths, fraud, money in bank,etc. I just like watching the show.

show's over:rolleyes: