• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lets Call The Whole Thing Off......

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
......classic Riis move tell the team to go to the front under the guise of protest of dangerous roads to let Sclhecks get back on. Lets call leTour off now too many crashes. Mother Nature its your fault. If the hill was too dangerous why did you the pro-cyclists not slow down to 20kph it was you who decided to enter.....?? Where does this stop.

The worst thing is there's going to be crashes tomorrow. What then? Do we wait? What if Saxo get on the front and push it and others crash? Do they wait again. What if Sastre falls?

boardhanger said:
......classic Riis move tell the team to go to the front under the guise of protest of dangerous roads to let Sclhecks get back on. Lets call leTour off now too many crashes. Mother Nature its your fault. If the hill was too dangerous why did you the pro-cyclists not slow down to 20kph it was you who decided to enter.....?? Where does this stop.

He could've been pretty sure of the white jersey if they rode today.
Only Tony Martin was in the first group and he is a far worse climber. Kreuziger, A.Schleck etc were already more than a minute behind.

But ok. They decided not to ride. End of.

I just don't get the complaining about this stage. Since when is a normal Ardennes stage deemed 'dangerous'

What's the future, ride on the TacX with a virtual course? Because the real world is 'To dangerous'??

Bunch of ***. If I want to see whining men on a bike I'll watch the Gay Parade, don't want to see that in the TDF

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
.....who does who doesn't

They never waited for Pettachi so he could defend his green jersey. Or Vandenvelde a past top 10 finisher. Oh how Riis has pulled the wool over everyone eyes. Yet again.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
they shouldn't have stopped, they are bike racers. what is this love-in bullshit? cancellara and riis can **** off. will saxo be waiting for cavendish on the hills if he falls off at the bottom? a so called protest was a sneaky way of defending the schlecks as i think they would have been dropped again.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Nwo

Thee_chisa said:
they shouldn't have stopped, they are bike racers. what is this love-in bullshit? cancellara and riis can **** off. will saxo be waiting for cavendish on the hills if he falls off at the bottom? a so called protest was a sneaky way of defending the schlecks as i think they would have been dropped again.

Handbags at 10 paces instead of actually doing the Tourmalet stage is being disscussed by the NewWorldOrder' of cycling.

4a4ea55fcd15fRiis%20Cancell%20CORVOS_00013873-008.jpg

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara was being a pontificating ass once again. For men who pride themselves on their toughness and fortitude, they are acting a wee bit precious.

What are they going to do? Spit 'assassins' at the organisers? It's been done.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Do you remember when the Tour de France was ridden by men?
What a lot of lying tow-rags. This go-slow was to help the Schlecks and other team mates from various teams.
I suppose that the Liege - Bastogne - Liege will be neutralised next season.
Or had the rain got into Fabian's battery?

A

Anonymous

Excellent tactic to get their GC guys back in the mix. Only a handful of teams can pull this off. If the other teams didn't agree then they could have just bypassed Cancellera. But they didn't. End of story. Get over it.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Gee333 said:
Excellent tactic to get their GC guys back in the mix. Only a handful of teams can pull this off. If the other teams didn't agree then they could have just bypassed Cancellera. But they didn't. End of story. Get over it.

as cancellara and the saxos would have bullied them. remember what happened to simioni.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Gamesmanship rather than tactics.

Benders for trying it that way (rather than Canc pulling them back to the bunch) and benders to everyone else for not attacking them.

Like Saxo will hang around if anyone falls off tomorrow.

The harder GC contenders who were still on their bikes could have made Schlecklet suffer and lose some reasonable time today - he wont wait for them on the Tourmalet, descending in ****ty conditions is as much a part of bike racing as going up big mountains, or at least I thought it was...

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Winterfold said:

Benders for trying it that way (rather than Canc pulling them back to the bunch) and benders to everyone else for not attacking them.

The harder GC contenders who were still on their bikes could have made Schlecklet suffer and lose some reasonable time today - he wont wait for them on the Tourmalet, descending in ****ty conditions is as much a part of bike racing as going up big mountains, or at least I thought it was...

totally agree, big con trick today. the other teams should have told cancellara to STFU and attacked. anyway, the scklecks will be in trouble tomorrow:D

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:

Going up mountains is a matter of skill (or physiology rather) avoiding getting tangled in half the peleton crashing is a matter of luck mostly. Especially if it's true that there was in fact oil on the road. You can minimize you risk of crashing by being at the front of cause but at least one of the crashed happened very close to the front.

Don't think including this in the TdF was unreasonable, but it ended up that way. Andy Scleck fell avoiding a motorbike that was avoiding the sliding Gavassi. Hincapie fell twice in 300 meters. Armstrong described it as "ice."

Seems fair and noble to let everyone catch up when virtually all the GC contenders were held up by the crashes.

Real beneficiary was Chavenel; IIRC, gap was down to 40 sec right before the crashes.

Chip

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Going up mountains is a matter of skill (or physiology rather) avoiding getting tangled in half the peleton crashing is a matter of luck mostly. Especially if it's true that there was in fact oil on the road. You can minimize you risk of crashing by being at the front of cause but at least one of the crashed happened very close to the front.

descending too fast and beyond your ability is something you can control. imagine if thor began sprinting up an alp and blew and expected people to wait for him until he had recovered. same thing, bike handling is a skill as is descending. if you can't do it well you shouldn't go above your limit and crash and then expect everyone to wait for you.

they should have taken it easy on the descent and then made the time up to the better descenders on the climbs, if you are not a good descender, you don't go down hills when it is raining full-pelt, fall off, then expect sympathy.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:
descending too fast and beyond your ability is something you can control. imagine if thor began sprinting up an alp and blew and expected people to wait for him until he had recovered. same thing, bike handling is a skill as is descending. if you can't do it well you shouldn't go above your limit and crash and then expect everyone to wait for you.

they should have taken it easy on the descent and then made the time up to the better descenders on the climbs, if you are not a good descender, you don't go down hills when it is raining full-pelt, fall off, then expect sympathy.

You got it all figured out, in spite of nearly all of these guys with ripped hips and forearms, and a few motos with cameras off the road too.

What was going on was exceptional. They couldn't even go in a straight line without the bikes slipping out.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I think that the "big" boys have forgotten where they came from and can only remember their paycheques. Everyone in bike racing has been involved in a crazy situation because of weather, terrain, the tactics of other racers, or a combination of everything. When I hear comments like Levi Leipheimer's saying how chaotic it was because of the conditions and the fact that the directors lost t.v. coverage in their cars so riders like Levi didn't know what was happening, it makes me think that maybe Levi (and others) need to realize that what is happening is the Tour de France and most riders in the pro ranks would give everything for the opportunity to compete in this event. And the last time I checked, the race is three weeks long so there will probably be some difficulties along the way. Otherwise I hear randonneur events are quite popular.

TRENDING THREADS