• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Lets Call The Whole Thing Off......

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 31, 2010
541
0
0
Visit site
Punter said:
Geez I know how you feel as I took 5/1 Hushovd for Green and cannot believe what happened.

Waiting for the GC riders from the various teams was one thing but the go slow at the end was pathetic.

What really puzzles me is how they can say that Chavanal's points for the stage win count to the Green Jersey but that those behind him get no points.

The reality is that he is unlikely to be a factor in this classification but what if that had been Hushovd himself up the road as the stage winner - would the same rules have applied?

I have lost alot of respect for Cancellara after todays stage and even more for the organisers who allowed themselves to be bullied.
yeah, whole thing stinks.
 
May 31, 2010
541
0
0
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Who's arguing?? Should Vandeveld be given same time as Andy Schleck because of same crash?

that is bascially what cancellara wanted by his actions. he should be complaining to the directors about this right now unless the whole thing was just a tactic to let the schleck brothers recover
 
Jun 23, 2010
518
0
0
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:
that is bascially what cancellara wanted by his actions. he should be complaining to the directors about this right now unless the whole thing was just a tactic to let the schleck brothers recover

So one rule for the GC riders another for the rest. And there's me thinking the race could be won or lost on any stage..... Whats the point?
 
Aug 6, 2009
1,901
1
0
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Who's arguing?? Should Vandeveld be given same time as Andy Schleck because of same crash?

I though enough was said. If you can't deal with the reality that Saxo Bank didn't drive the peleton at any point after the crash then that's between you an reality. As for Vande Velde if he gets the same time as everybody else I won't whine incessantly about it, unlike you apparently. I don't think motorcycle oil should be a major factor in determining the Tour podium, if you do then we'll just have to disagree on that.
 
May 31, 2010
541
0
0
Visit site
boardhanger said:
So one rule for the GC riders another for the rest. And there's me thinking the race could be won or lost on any stage..... Whats the point?

exactly, which is why cancellara needs to be warned by the directors to keep it shut or go home.
 

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
3,480
0
0
Visit site
scribe said:
Where is that ignore button you guys go on about for BPC???

You need to view the profile of the person, then go to user lists and then add him to your ignor list.

But tree-chisa, is nowhere as annoying as people like ellenbrook, wonderlance, lancewillwin, or BPC. I kinda like most of his/her posts even though most of the time I don't agree
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,245
2
0
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Bunch of ***. If I want to see whining men on a bike I'll watch the Gay Parade, don't want to see that in the TDF

This is why homosexuality in professional sports is still such a tabu. I assume you're a real man and never complain about anything, take pain without uttering a sound. Because if men, even worse male pro athletes, complain about a dangerous stage, that makes them "***", gays, f*ggots.

Just a terrible, terrible comment.

Anywho, I think today's stage was tragic and a great example of sportsmanship. When you look at the pictures of Nicki Sorensen and Jens Voigt giving all they have to bring the bruised and battered Schlecks back to the peloton, that's the stuff the TdF is made of.

And sure Cancellara and the Saxo Bank Directeurs decided to wait for the Schlecks but there is no way Cancellara can convince 150 riders and all their directeurs not to ride either. Ultimately they all decided together, if one team had wanted to pull, they could have done it and everyone would have had to follow. But no one did.

And this has been done for ages, back when Armstrong got his pedal into this little kid's musette and fell, Ullrich didn't pull at the front either. That's called sportsmanship and even if you don't like that I guess you'll have to live with it.
 
Jul 22, 2009
3,355
1
0
Visit site
Barrus said:
You need to view the profile of the person, then go to user lists and then add him to your ignor list.

But tree-chisa, is nowhere as annoying as people like ellenbrook, wonderlance, lancewillwin, or BPC. I kinda like most of his/her posts even though most of the time I don't agree

Done. Thanks. He reported me (got a warning) because I hurt his feelings.
 

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
3,480
0
0
Visit site
Christian said:
This is why homosexuality in professional sports is still such a tabu. I assume you're a real man and never complain about anything, take pain without uttering a sound. Because if men, even worse male pro athletes, complain about a dangerous stage, that makes them "***", gays, f*ggots.

Just a terrible, terrible comment.

Did you ever see the people at the gay parade? I love my gay friends and most gay people, but even these say what a disgrace a lot of those people at the gay parade are
 
Jul 22, 2009
3,355
1
0
Visit site
Christian said:
This is why homosexuality in professional sports is still such a tabu. I assume you're a real man and never complain about anything, take pain without uttering a sound. Because if men, even worse male pro athletes, complain about a dangerous stage, that makes them "***", gays, f*ggots.

Just a terrible, terrible comment.

Anywho, I think today's stage was tragic and a great example of sportsmanship. When you look at the pictures of Nicki Sorensen and Jens Voigt giving all they have to bring the bruised and battered Schlecks back to the peloton, that's the stuff the TdF is made of.

And sure Cancellara and the Saxo Bank Directeurs decided to wait for the Schlecks but there is no way Cancellara can convince 150 riders and all their directeurs not to ride either. Ultimately they all decided together, if one team had wanted to pull, they could have done it and everyone would have had to follow. But no one did.

And this has been done for ages, back when Armstrong got his pedal into this little kid's musette and fell, Ullrich didn't pull at the front either. That's called sportsmanship and even if you don't like that I guess you'll have to live with it.

I think Cervelo is the only one that wanted to run as they made it through unscratched, but it's kinda hard when the whole rest of the peloton is on the asphalt.
 
May 31, 2010
541
0
0
Visit site
scribe said:
Done. Thanks. He reported me (got a warning) because I hurt his feelings.

who me? i would never report anyone on a forum, for anything, i am kinda easy going like that at the end of the day i don't know you and am basically typing stuff into a forum for anyone to read, calm down

internet_serious_business_framed.jpg
 
Jun 18, 2009
2,079
2
0
Visit site
Christian said:
This is why homosexuality in professional sports is still such a tabu. I assume you're a real man and never complain about anything, take pain without uttering a sound. Because if men, even worse male pro athletes, complain about a dangerous stage, that makes them "***", gays, f*ggots.

Just a terrible, terrible comment.

Anywho, I think today's stage was tragic and a great example of sportsmanship. When you look at the pictures of Nicki Sorensen and Jens Voigt giving all they have to bring the bruised and battered Schlecks back to the peloton, that's the stuff the TdF is made of.

And sure Cancellara and the Saxo Bank Directeurs decided to wait for the Schlecks but there is no way Cancellara can convince 150 riders and all their directeurs not to ride either. Ultimately they all decided together, if one team had wanted to pull, they could have done it and everyone would have had to follow. But no one did.

And this has been done for ages, back when Armstrong got his pedal into this little kid's musette and fell, Ullrich didn't pull at the front either. That's called sportsmanship and even if you don't like that I guess you'll have to live with it.

+100 or whatever. Stupid comment.
 
May 15, 2010
833
0
0
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:
who me? i would never report anyone on a forum, for anything, i am kinda easy going like that at the end of the day i don't know you and am basically typing stuff into a forum for anyone to read, calm down

Scribe, it may have been me. I don't pick and choose who I report, if I see just a straight out insult with no other content, I will click the little ! icon and report.

Like I said, I don't do it to 'get' a particular person and I expect to be kept in line by others because I'm not perfect either.
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,245
2
0
Visit site
Barrus said:
Did you ever see the people at the gay parade? I love my gay friends and most gay people, but even these say what a disgrace a lot of those people at the gay parade are

I saw the Vancouver, BC gay parade and thought it was a lot of fun. Most of my friends (gay or straight) love going to Seattle pride, I've never been there though.

On a more pedantic note, people in the parade to everything but whine ;)

I don't want to judge Dekker-Tifosi too harshly, I just think people should be more careful about making connections between "men showing their feelings" and "gay" or "something really lame" and "gay", etc.
 
May 31, 2010
541
0
0
Visit site
bobs *** said:
Scribe, it may have been me. I don't pick and choose who I report, if I see just a straight out insult with no other content, I will click the little ! icon and report.

Like I said, I don't do it to 'get' a particular person and I expect to be kept in line by others because I'm not perfect either.

well, if he has now blacked me, i can say whatever i like about him!!!! bwhahahahahahaha the world is mine!!!!!!!!! :D
 

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
3,480
0
0
Visit site
Christian said:
I saw the Vancouver, BC gay parade and thought it was a lot of fun. Most of my friends (gay or straight) love going to Seattle pride, I've never been there though.

On a more pedantic note, people in the parade to everything but whine ;)

I don't want to judge Dekker-Tifosi too harshly, I just think people should be more careful about making connections between "men showing their feelings" and "gay" or "something really lame" and "gay", etc.

fu fact here in the Netherlands a large majority of the people attending the gay pride, especially unlookers, but also a significant percentage of the people on the floats, are straight.

But on-topic: It really can'be just Canc's decision, other riders eneded to have been in agreement, especially initially once it started it was perhaps a different story, but in the beginning moments others needed to call for a halt as well.
 
Mar 10, 2009
1,384
0
0
Visit site
LugHugger said:
Your point being? Reading that Fred's link many teams had no riders crash. Today has been a salutary reminder why the TdF has increasingly become a laughing stock in recent years. Still, 'cross starts in two months and then it's time for the Classics and some REAL racing.
The article reports at least 30 riders crashing (some more than once) in 200-300 meters. Quite extraordinary if you ask me, even if most riders didn't crash.
 
May 17, 2010
131
0
0
Visit site
I can see the sportsmanship in the main GC guys not attacking and waiting but i cant see why the tier 2 teams who are there for stage wins letting up. This was a great opportunity for a team like Footon to get a win, and they probably wont get another shot.
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,245
2
0
Visit site
Barrus said:
fu fact here in the Netherlands a large majority of the people attending the gay pride, especially unlookers, but also a significant percentage of the people on the floats, are straight.

Well that's the way it should be IMO - gays and straights having a good time and protesting for the more acceptance of homosexuality together.

Oh, and I agree on the rest of your post as well! I think no one really knew what was going on, where their leaders were exactly at ... so better wait and see!
 
I think the right move was made to wait initially, but they should have picked the racing back up at some point and they certainly should have contested the sprint. I think people are going a bit overboard on Cancellara; he's not the only guy out there and while the team has bigger goals, he sacrificed the chance to wear yellow for probably the next 5 days.