• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lets support riders in a dope free culture!

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think we should collect a massive fans vote to press organizers to put together "reasonable" challenges on routes, not pushing riders for cheating ! For example total Km's and mountain finishes should be down to earth NOT pushing competitors to hell ! How can we organize this mass support ?

Riders will dope regardless of how hard or easy, long or short the route is (look at the doping going on in crits, for example). The routes were a lot tougher before the days of scientific doping, with 300 km stages not being uncommon, and the riders managed without EPO or transfusions. What you propose would ruin cycling.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Riders will dope regardless of how hard or easy, long or short the route is (look at the doping going on in crits, for example). The routes were a lot tougher before the days of scientific doping, with 300 km stages not being uncommon, and the riders managed without EPO or transfusions. What you propose would ruin cycling.

thank you for putting into nice words what I felt. still can't get by complete ignorance of people that can't think of that themselves

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Doping (and the omertà culture) ruins cycling, not shorter races.

Making races more "human" is only a small part of the solution. Even more important then shorter stages are shorter transfers.
The whole point is that doping and races being longer have nothing to do with each other. The races are perfectly human. Any trained person could do them - just not as fast.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Bye Bye Bicycle said:

Making races more "human" is only a small part of the solution. Even more important then shorter stages are shorter transfers.

not really. since 1998 cycling has increased populairity more then ever before. because some idiots in the clinic think otherwise means **** after balco scandal hit mlb, revenue more then doubled. most people don't care. they want entertainment and rightfully so.

and your idea of shorter tranfers is even more stupid as by your logic means more time for transfusions. :rolleyes:

hrotha said:

indeed, any1 that think like OP must have never ridden a bike in his life. the idea that riders dope to finish races is beyond idiotic, they dope to finish them first otherwise there would be o doping o 100m races as even my 78 year old grandfather could run them, so that's as human as it get's.

also this thread belongs in the clinic so i am moving it there

Parrulo said:
indeed, any1 that think like OP must have never ridden a bike in his life. the idea that riders dope to finish races is beyond idiotic, they dope to finish them first otherwise there would be o doping o 100m races as even my 78 year old grandfather could run them, so that's as human as it get's.

Is there any need to be condescending with a first-time poster? Or the fact that he never has ridden a bike (according to you) an issue? :confused:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:

No. You are making a mistake thinking the problem is at the athlete's level. The problems are at the IOC/UCI. Focusing the blame on the athlete distracts the casual sports fan from the IOC's role in promoting doping.

The anti-doping system is an elaborate IQ test designed so everyone but the dumbest athlete passes. Olympic sports federations like the UCI have complete authority over the anti-doping process.

The doping will flourish as long as the sports federation (ex. UCI) has total doping authority.

Ryo Hazuki said:
not really. since 1998 cycling has increased populairity more then ever before

More people riding bikes recreationally? Yes, but it has nothing to do with competitive cycling. It has everything to do with bike selection and a couple of other geographic factors.
More people racing? Not in the U.S. The number of USAC members is flat excluding special circumstances. The number of spectators has declined dramatically.
More live viewers for cycling events? I don't think so, but that's me.
More video viewers for cycling events? Thank the Internet, not something the UCI is doing.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:

this post is moderator unworthy.

hate to break it to you, but the fact is that a lot of cycling spectators (perhaps not racers themselves) believe there is a logic correlation between the amount of PEDs used in cycling and the extreme toughness of the races, especially the TdF.

Perhaps not the idea a 'racer' would come up with, but it's a natural thought and quite common among normal cycling spectators.
Not idiotic (or beyond).
And the forum isn't just for racers last time I checked.

if you feel like moderating, tell Ryo Hazuko to chill.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Bye Bye Bicycle said:

Shorter races actually encourages one to dope.

diminse said:
I think we should collect a massive fans vote to press organizers to put together "reasonable" challenges on routes, not pushing riders for cheating ! For example total Km's and mountain finishes should be down to earth NOT pushing competitors to hell ! How can we organize this mass support ?

May I recommend that you go watch your local club's industrial park criterium races, as that sounds like what you would consider a "reasonable" challenge. You know, not too difficult and 0 elevation gain. Your chances of seeing a clean race, however, are slim as there are so many master's-level guys out there recapturing their youth with pharmaceutical help.
I say let the professionals earn their pay and make that sh*t difficult. I want to see more races like the Vuelta this year. Maybe you should watch golf instead.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
Is there any need to be condescending with a first-time poster? Or the fact that he never has ridden a bike (according to you) an issue? :confused:

Business as usual, keeping up the CN Mod omerta, not one other mod will say anything either. But let it be one of us and bans a plenty!

Then all our attempts at a conspiracy theory thread are negated because we can't have that now can we :rolleyes:

Hate threads, no way, but hate is ok.

sniper said:
<snip>

No kidding.

ElChingon said:
Business as usual, keeping up the CN Mod omerta, not one other mod will say anything either. But let it be one of us and bans a plenty!

Then all our attempts at a conspiracy theory thread are negated because we can't have that now can we :rolleyes:

Hate threads, no way, but hate is ok.
That's what I thought. This mod has done similar things in the past to other posters, including to yours truly. Is any Admin going to do anything about this mod Parrulo? Just wondering. :confused:

sniper said:

hate to break it to you, but the fact is that a lot of cycling spectators (perhaps not racers themselves) believe there is a logic correlation between the amount of PEDs used in cycling and the extreme toughness of the races, especially the TdF.

Perhaps not the idea a 'racer' would come up with, but it's a natural thought and quite common among normal cycling spectators.
Not idiotic (or beyond).

Well he is stating that the OP must've never used his bike, which is hardly offensive, is it?

Luckily the clinic has never offended any new member.

cineteq said:
No kidding.

That's what I thought. This mod has done similar things in the past to other posters, including to yours truly. Is any Admin going to do anything about this mod Parrulo? Just wondering. :confused:

Nope. There is one rule for some and another rule for others. If you are have the 'correct' views you can say what you like to people. If you have 'incorrect' views then you'll be banned and warned for saying boo to a goose.

TRENDING THREADS