• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Levi, third or fourth best american rider of all time?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
LeviLeipheimer Levi Leipheimer
Just waking up for the last day here in San Luis, going to breakfast and watch @zdenekstybar go for a hat trick! Who's got the best feed?

Ok, I officialy like Leipheimer even more now, he even likes cyclo-cross :p

A

Anonymous

The second or third best American Responder?

Sounds about right.

the3verB said:
To be exact. Landis won the Tour in 2006. Then he's lost the title in 2007 but maybe one day he will recovered the title (i agree, there is a very slim probability but for example if Pereiro and Kloden admit they were doped..)

Look. Riis won the Tour in 96, lost his title in 2007 then recover it in 2008.
Like Heras for the vuelta 2005. A spanish judge cancelled his condamnation in 2011. There is a important probabity for him to be the only 4-time Vuelta champion again in 2012.

Crossing the line in first place makes you a winner.

I would have to say " you're never really the winner when you dont cross the line first!"
LOL at this. Finally I can laugh again in the forums. I hope they don't ban you soon.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Lupetto said:
1 Lance Armstrong 17363
2 Greg Lemond 14425
3 George Hincapie 10930
4 Levi Leipheimer * 9964
5 Andrew Hampsten 9681
6 Bobby Julich 7025
7 Tyler Hamilton 6207
8 Chris Horner 5008
9 Christian van de Velde 4422
10 Floyd Landis 3639

http://www.cyclingranking.com/rankings/OverallCountry.aspx?country=USA&fyear=1869&lyear=2012

;)

No argument here from me, even though I'm not a big fan of Leipheimer. But the guy has been around for a long time and he's consistently good at what he does (did) best, supporting Lance and winning shorter stage races.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
phanatic said:
I really hate how Hampsten, Horner, Hincapie, and Hamilton are getting such short shrift in this selection.

Hampsten's pro career was too short for better palmares. I think Hincapie's ambitions were higher than Leipheimer's, and he paid for it with inconsistent results. I admire him for that. And Horner may have had better potential, his results were not as impressive.

Face it, Levi's time trialling has always been impressive, his climbing often impressive, and he's managed his career very well. But most of his wins have been races where the big guns were either absent, using for "training ," or simply "not up to form quite yet."

This thread is the equivalent of asking who was the best non-Belgian at this year's Cross Worlds.

You could watch the Albert win, grab a coffee, some breakfast, come back and still have time to see the first non-Belgian cross the finish.

Leipheimer has 3 major stage race wins: the Dauphine, TdSuisse, and Castilla y Leon. That's it. The guy's been a pro for what, 14 years? Seriously, he's a good cyclist. Boring as watching paint dry, but a good cyclist.

That said, he's not even close to LeMond and Armstrong. Next come Hampsten and Hamilton. Then Landis. Leipheimer is maybe 6th or 7th.

A

Anonymous

Moose McKnuckles said:
This thread is the equivalent of asking who was the best non-Belgian at this year's Cross Worlds.

You could watch the Albert win, grab a coffee, some breakfast, come back and still have time to see the first non-Belgian cross the finish.

Good news is they are just remarkably good in the sand.

Clean. As. A. Whistle.

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I would put Levi in third. A consistent long lasting rider, can TT and climb, and if he was on level playing field with top tour riders, may have won the tour, vuelta or giro. We will never know how his competition achieved victory.
Still, great results in GTs and a winner of prestigious one week stage races.
Hampsten was epic also, maybe a tie for third.
I would also put major taylor in the top three.
Lance, Greg, Levi, Hampsten, major taylor tie for third.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The Plediadian said:
I would put Levi in third. A consistent long lasting rider, can TT and climb, and if he was on level playing field with top tour riders, may have won the tour, vuelta or giro. We will never know how his competition achieved victory.Still, great results in GTs and a winner of prestigious one week stage races.
Hampsten was epic also, maybe a tie for third.
I would also put major taylor in the top three.
Lance, Greg, Levi, Hampsten, major taylor tie for third.

...and we know how he (Levi) achieved his results? He's any different than those that defeated him???:(

I agree with the Major Taylor reference.:)

gregrowlerson said:
I think that Levi does have a shot at the Tour podium this year. He is still time trialling really well and can hold on pretty well at times in the mountains.

Yes i agree with that, though he would have to have no bad luck.

I would say Armstrong, Le Mond, Hampsten, Levi.

I would also rate Hamilton better than Landis. They both cheated but Hamilton finished 4th at a TDF with broken parts.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Froome19 said:
I don't understand. Leipheimer won the 2006 dauphine if that is what you mean and he also won the 2011 tour de suisse if that is what you meant. Of course winning those two is more prestigious than winning tds twice
If it weren't for the Giro win, I'd have to agree with you. But Leipheimer has one glaring gap in his palmarès, a Grand Tour. He can win all the Dauphinés he likes, Hampsten still trumps him with the 1988 Giro. In fact Hampsten's Giro is still the only one won by a non-European. Added to the fact that it was hard won it is a very strong trump card, IMO.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
what about John Howard? he deserves top 5, and at least a mention of Johnathon Boyer.
for me the greatest American cyclist would be LeMond, his battles with the Badger and the Professor still can't be touched.
and there is no place for a rat like Landis on this list, strength without brains is meaningless

LeMond
Hampsten
Armstrong
Howard
Hincapie
Levi

just my extremely skewed 2 cents...

Yeahright

BANNED
Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
LeMond over Armstrong...arguable
Hampsten over Armstrong..give me a break.
Hampsten over Levi....Yeah for me though close, Andy had to live in LeMond's shadow for a while similar to Levi with Lance.

For me:
Armstrong
LeMond
Hampsten
Leipheimer
Hincapie

Landis and Hamilton...who cares

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeahright said:
LeMond over Armstrong...arguable
Hampsten over Armstrong..give me a break.
Hampsten over Levi....Yeah for me though close, Andy had to live in LeMond's shadow for a while similar to Levi with Lance.

For me:
Armstrong
LeMond
Hampsten
Leipheimer
Hincapie

Landis and Hamilton...who cares

Landis and Hamilton who cares but Lance, never mind for that matter Leipheimer and Hinchapie

So we left with LeMond and Hampsten

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
No_Balls said:
If this is a sign of hybris i dont know what is....:D

Victory in Januari (Tour de St Luis)= Best american ever?

I think his third in TdF 2007, winning that final ITT, and finishing only 31 seconds down on Contador gives him some bragging rights. Beside's Berto gave him a real challenge in San Luis.

Levi 9 times out of 10 in ITT against Alberto.

This could be another year in TdF for Leipheimer.

BillytheKid said:
I think his third in TdF 2007, winning that final ITT, and finishing only 31 seconds down on Contador gives him some bragging rights. Beside's Berto gave him a real challenge in San Luis.

Levi 9 times out of 10 in ITT against Alberto.

This could be another year in TdF for Leipheimer.

last time I looked at the calendar it was still January

TRENDING THREADS