• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liège-Bastogne-Liège 2021 (April 25th)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
First of all, we need more information about The Targnon. It's still a mini mountain mystery. You can't access it on Google Maps and there are no videos or pictures about it. It could be a really narrow dirt track for MTB only.

But 2 km at 13%+ is brutal, even for a muro. I'm not sure we want to turn the race into Il Lombardia.

Any Walloons in here who are willing to torture themselves and take some pictures for us?
Assume it would need a road but I do not see any downside to opening the finale of LBL 50km from the finish instead of on the final climb.

Reactions: Velolover2
Here's a full profile of this, keeping the distance and the first 153 kilometers identical to the current route:
lJxDfxI.png

With a slight extension (5-6k), you could add Niaster right before Redoute like in @OlavEH's route. By taking the route into Bastogne used in 2018 instead (13k shorter), you could add in both that and Mont-le-Soie while keeping the distance basically equal.

Cote de Hezalles would be nice, it’s really steep, it’s steaper then mentioned on your picture.

Reactions: Sandisfan
With a slight extension (5-6k), you could add Niaster right before Redoute like in @OlavEH's route. By taking the route into Bastogne used in 2018 instead (13k shorter), you could add in both that and Mont-le-Soie while keeping the distance basically equal.
Not directly relevant to LBL, but they should really center a stage in the BinckBack Tour around Stavelot and the steep climbs there. Createa a Tirreno-ish stage with a loop around Wanne and Stockeau, doing both of these 2-3 times before a finish in Stavelot.

Not directly relevant to LBL, but they should really center a stage in the BinckBack Tour around Stavelot and the steep climbs there. Createa a Tirreno-ish stage with a loop around Wanne and Stockeau, doing both of these 2-3 times before a finish in Stavelot.
Yeah Binckbank could actually have some really brutal stages in the Ardennes but it tries to be the stage race for classics riders which is fine.

well they posted the group shot for Flèche Wallone too when they knew they had some positives...

But I hope it means good news and they can start. I think Pogacar has never been more eager to race and well we know that that will probably mean fireworks....Formolo is really good at the moment too.

I am so gutted I cannot go and see the race live tomorrow....Belgian authorities seem to be very strict for supporters while for example in spain there are many people on climbs already (not saying that is wise)

well they posted the group shot for Flèche Wallone too when they knew they had some positives...

But I hope it means good news and they can start. I think Pogacar has never been more eager to race and well we know that that will probably mean fireworks....Formolo is really good at the moment too.

I am so gutted I cannot go and see the race live tomorrow....Belgian authorities seem to be very strict for supporters while for example in spain there are many people on climbs already (not saying that is wise)
Formolo hasn't raced since MSR (no idea why), so his form is a bit of a question mark. That said, he's the kind of guy who they should send on the attack on la Redoute.

Indeed. Slovenians being there, not just those two, that has always been a recipe for a great race. Don't see a particular reason on why it would be different this time, considering this might be the last time they face each other before the Tour. Roglič can race relaxed and have fun, he always is good in such conditions. Pogačar has something to prove and we all know how he is in such situations. Mohorič was always considered to perform better on such races, compared to the duo, lets see what he does this year. Alaphilippe would for sure like to soft-pedal, but good luck with that. Too bad Pidcock got injured and won't participate. And then there is a plethora of other riders, perfectly capable of approaching this race tactically and position themself in a way to get an advantage. The route allows that.

Personally i feel that they will race openly on this race. No.1 in the world decided that in 2021 season and the rest will likely follow.

The age of excessive control is likely over.

No 1 in the world did hang on last year with the other greats, then won because of Alaphilippe being Ala and Hirschi and Pogacar being cut off.
I'll readily admit that he might not have been at his own best last year, but please don't make it sound like he won the race last year because he was such an aggressive rider.

Wonder if McNulty could get a free role? Unfortunately I suspect that he's going to be behind the likes of Hirschi, Formolo and Costa because of their previous proven results in this race even though their current form is questionable
With all respect for McNulty, but when Pogacar is at the start, the team will have to ride for him because he is their best bet. Always. They learned that the hard way.

Formolo said in an interview he is not in this race to just pull for Tadej this time....

I hope for Formolo he will be in the mix, I really like him, but I think this will be the Pog and Rog show with some French twist in it...

Should clarify it more as i was not talking about last years LBL. Before Roglič it was all about Sky/Ineos, basically hog the races with excessive control and having a stellar all around roster. Roglič and JV decided OK, lets beat them at their own game and they did just that. Pogačar softened it after further more, TDF 2020, and it just doesn't make much sense anymore, to result to such tactics in 2021.

The turning point, for me, was Roglič willingly giving away the leaders jersey at Tour of the Basque Country. By doing that a new era of cycling was born.

P.S. Think of it we are giving back something now, the Slovenians, to cycling. Similar in how Dončić is redefining the NBA.

TRENDING THREADS