• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liège-Bastogne-Liège 2023, one day monument, April 23 (men's)

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pidcock has the cutest little dog.
Clipboard.png

Bring back the old finishes at Cauberg and Ans so everything is decided at the end like FW.
IMO the drag to Ans wouldn't really block the race so long as Saint-Nicolas isn't reintroduced as well. I kind of miss it, it's very much the aesthetic I associate with this race and it's a finish that allows for more excitement than the current one (not the past two years, of course).

Reactions: Red Rick
Pro cycling, and especially the classics, at the moment really needs that more than one of these four shows up and finish without accidents. If there is only one of them, we get races like AGR last weekend and today's race.
Unfortunately, the scenario most of us dream of (Pog/Vinge/Remoco arriving at the start of a Tour de France, all 100% fit, all getting through the race without crashing out) is extraordinarily unlikely to ever occur.

This is just a bad look for road cycling. The GCN commentators can hype it all they want but those phases of super domination never ended well for cycling with a few years of distance.
It isn’t really super domination though. Depending on the race, we have seen 6 riders “dominate,” and if there are 6, it’s not comparable to an era of dominance by 1.
Pogacar
Remco
Roglic
Vingo
MVDP
WVA
All dominant in different races at different times.
Robo Remco Robotnik and his Death Egg laid waste to the peloton once again

Looks like the Death Egg has a bit more power this year compared to last year. As Bruyneel said, no reason to even hold the Giro as it is going to be a slaughter
Where did Bruyneel say this? I agree Remco looks scary strong, but people forget how good Roglic is because he crashes so much. Also, Bruyneel knows Remco’s father and has a bit of personal bias. I will be shocked if the Giro is “a slaughter,” but will not be shocked if Remco wins by 3 minutes or so. I could see it also looking like a slaughter in times of time gaps if Roglic goes Contador, going all in repeatedly and coming up short.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Unfortunately, the scenario most of us dream of (Pog/Vinge/Remoco arriving at the start of a Tour de France, all 100% fit, all getting through the race without crashing out) is extraordinarily unlikely to ever occur.
Yeah, for a GT that is a bit unlikely. But not for a one day race. And I still feel a bit cheated that we still haven't got a real duel between Pog and Remco in neither of the last two LBL, Lombardia last year or AGR last weekend.

Take Aways

Pog, Remco, Rog and Vingregaard shouldonly be allowed into races where one or more of the others are competing

Landa is so unlucky....would have gotten a podium here imo

Pidcock needs to improve his endurance

Healy is the revelation of the Ardennes . Needs better support and I say can get better. Second best on the climbs imo. Can win some of the long uphill stages at the Giro if he keeps form

Where did Bruyneel say this? I agree Remco looks scary strong, but people forget how good Roglic is because he crashes so much. Also, Bruyneel knows Remco’s father and has a bit of personal bias. I will be shocked if the Giro is “a slaughter,” but will not be shocked if Remco wins by 3 minutes or so. I could see it also looking like a slaughter in times of time gaps if Roglic goes Contador, going all in repeatedly and coming up short.

Bruyneel didn't really say it like that, it was in the context when they were talking about remco's weight after catalunya. And Bruyneel stated that if Remco would indeed loose 4kg (based on a rumour he was 4kg packing) the others shouldn't bother to show up. (But those 4kg didn't happen at all, so no worries on that front, other can show up)

Bruyneel didn't really say it like that, it was in the context when they were talking about remco's weight after catalunya. And Bruyneel stated that if Remco would indeed loose 4kg (based on a rumour he was 4kg packing) the others shouldn't bother to show up. (But those 4kg didn't happen at all, so no worries on that front, other can show up)
Is it just me or does he look like he actually gained 4 kilos?

…of solid muscle

IMO the drag to Ans wouldn't really block the race so long as Saint-Nicolas isn't reintroduced as well. I kind of miss it, it's very much the aesthetic I associate with this race and it's a finish that allows for more excitement than the current one (not the past two years, of course).
It's weird but the old route would be raced much harder as well with the current guys.

Honestly it seems like a Liege like route just gets small gaps where it's hard to stay away in spots where everyone is kinda dead. Nobody really gets a big gap anymore.

It's very hard to encourage an aggressive race without deciding the race early.

TRENDING THREADS