• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liège-Bastogne-Liège: October 4th, 2020

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
24 Big Photos from Liège-Bastogne-Liège 2020 (more to come) — corvos/aso

180-bettiniphoto_0465512_1_2000px.jpg

267-20201004LBL3090-A.S.O.%20Gautier%20Demouveaux.jpg

600-20201004LBL3102-A.S.O.%20Gautier%20Demouveaux.jpg

Ala should be relegated but as Hirchi just said himself when you are stuck to a guys wheel it can happen.

Getting a little sick of all the holier than thou people here who cry when a rider crashes as a result of having his wheel inside another riders buttcheeks.

Edit: He has been rightly relegated
I absolutely hate when sports people acknowledge that they are there for the fans and try entertain them

Sports people only need to race their bike ...preferably in a straight line
They dont need to show boat as that is not my idea of entertainment

And I hate when people try to use sarcasm and completely and idiotically mis the point ...but I guess we don't live in a perfect world

Sports people only need to race their bike ...preferably in a straight line
They dont need to show boat as that is not my idea of entertainment

And I hate when people try to use sarcasm and completely and idiotically mis the point ...but I guess we don't live in a perfect world

Cool lets just have drag races then with lanes like swimming cause descents are the most dangerous of all. How about a GT of 21 TTs and no interviews after. If every rider was a boring Froome or Rogalic I think I would find another sport.

Some of the best moments of the last TdF were the tears of joy from Sam, Ala and others but I suppose thats too much emotion for robot cycling fans

Alaphilippe seems incredibly tense throughout the final kilometres. Tons of turns of direction in the run-up to the sprint and then hazardous decisions in the sprint itself (both the swerve and the decision to celebrate much too early). He really seemed much more twitchy than usual.

Yes today's the worst, it's almost constant anxiety, although it's always been jumpy Julian lately every time he's in focus, he's just different. Just curious: was there ever any rider from the past with such mannerism?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Hirschi would have won that, definitely the unlucky one. But good to see Roglic get it.

In a soccer match many players miss many chances during a game but it is always the guy who missed the final chance or gives away a late penalty is the guy who "lost the game" but its not true as games are a collection of events. If x had not happened then y would have won is a myth and not provable. For instance maybe if Ala had no bike trouble he would have won solo or if Yates did not crash he would have definitely won and not Hirschi

Reactions: Sandisfan
In a soccer match many players miss many chances during a game but it is always the guy who missed the final chance or gives away a late penalty is the guy who "lost the game" but its not true as games are a collection of events. If x had not happened then y would have won is a myth and not provable. For instance maybe if Ala had no bike trouble he would have won solo or if Yates did not crash he would have definitely won and not Hirschi

Metaphysically you're 100% correct. But it's the fan's job to part with metaphysics in order to discuss why x y and z could have/should have/would have happened. That's part of the fun. If I wanted only what is actual and real, I would watch a nature doco instead of a bike race.

Noticed a couple of riders were taken out by exposed/non protected road furniture yesterday, GVA and McCarthy, making GVA (not sure about McCarthy) having to miss the rest of the season (potentially). Would GVA or another rider in other races be in a position to claim against the race hosts for maybe loss of potential earning/winnings in future races that he/they may not be able to enter due to non protection in a race? At what point do the hosts say, we've done our bit, the rest is your responsibility, be careful. Or is it just down to risk of the rider?

I don't know, I've seen Nico Denz catch Mohoric on a descent.
All I know is I've seen Matej saying multiple times when asked that going all out on descent is in fact a dangerous thing to do and only worth doing in certain few situations. Same goes for his (ab)use of "Mohorič" descent style, where you sit on top tube and pedal (a lot of riders have done this in recent times, but he has perfected it), which he really discourages anyone from doing and even says it can be overly risky for him as well, and that looking backwards he was often stupid to do it. (but he still has it when it really matters)

I just wanna add that it's always funny to me, to hear commentators talk about how Alaphilippe is a tremendously great descender, when I remember how Mohorič schooled them on descent in Florence U23 world championship. (it's interesting to note, that on that occasion Matej also dropped Alaph on the hill, not just caught him on the descent).
(tbh really a great race to rewatch)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS