• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liberty Seguros: 3 Strikes in 1!

No great surprises here. Werent Nozal & Riberio bounced from the senior Liberty squad a few seasons ago for failing the haematocrit test, 04 or 05 I think. Guerra has always been suspicous for me as he has always raced for Portugese teams and done well. Surely if he had been good enough, he would have been picked up by a decent Spanish team.

A

Anonymous

Yea, when I read the names I thought "Yep, nothing new there."

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
So does that mean that

2º 1 BLANCO, David ESP PALMEIRAS RESORT-PRI a 01:24

won the tour of portugal!

I love it when we get to relive the whole cycling experience from which some got disqualified. Still remember those sweet Portugues roads, the sunshine and that funny 'portuguese pronunciation', when I watched the pixelated live streams...

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Surely the team pulls out of cycling. Spanish champion will be looking for a team, maybe he will get done too, are there any indications that plaza dopes?

i think i remember plaza being implicated, but never fully charged in anything

it will be interesting to see if any teams pick him up, he's a strong rider and having the spanish champion in your ranks can't be bad for publicity...unless he gets caught

A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:
I wonder if ChrisE will have anything to say about this thread?:rolleyes:

No, Armstrong isn't mentioned. I doubt he even opens it.

A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:

If he does comment it will be a shoulder shrug and a deeply felt "so what?"

Wow, the trifecta! That has got to be a record that Liberty Seguros scores on their way out of pro cycling. But after all that has gone down in the past I get a chuckle out of them saying they are now leaving cycling because of their integrity and company values. Sure seems to have taken them a while to catch on.

A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:
Well, nothing, it appears, changes at good ol' Liberty Seguros.
I watched this race and they were quite clearly uber-charged.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ribeiro-nozal-and-guerra-positive-for-cera

Old OP Nozal up to his old tricks. Was on a different planet at the 2003 Vuelta y Doping.

if it wasnt for the awful CN website giving it away i would think that was old news..

some things just dont change do they.. i actually had no idea they where still in cycling..

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I don't get it. Why is it that every rider busted for EPO this year is using CERA? Once it became detectable, it seems like a very bad choice because it stays in the system so long.

Wouldn't surprise me if they used bags filled with blood drawn prior to the CERA test. This old blood could thus have contained traces of CERA when they were training. On second thought, that seems a little expensive...

Or, CERA is continuously being reconfigured in Eastern European labs, so they hope that it cannot be detected (Is that possible at all?)

Or CERA offers the most bang for the buck, and they think they can get away with it. I mean, they are older riders on a low end team. Would they have the money to invest in high tech solutions? Di Luca as a 2nd place Giro finisher got caught as one of the few, so do we assume no one else uses, or do we assume many slipped though the gaps...

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I don't get it. Why is it that every rider busted for EPO this year is using CERA? Once it became detectable, it seems like a very bad choice because it stays in the system so long.
There could be widespread CERA microdosing so just a few are actually getting caught. Perhaps it's hard to do and easy to **** up. Also could involve new EPO test regulations adopted this spring.

Epicycle said:
There could be widespread CERA microdosing so just a few are actually getting caught. Perhaps it's hard to do and easy to **** up. Also could involve new EPO test regulations adopted this spring.

It seems like an odd product to use for micro-dosing because the purpose of the product is to stay in the system for weeks. It would be like using the steroid DECA, which is detectable a year and a half after use. Taking anything that is detectable that can hang around in your system for a long time is risky.

A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:

ahhh uhhhhh

No he is gone fishing.

What about the blackcat has he crossed the wrong path?

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
No, Armstrong isn't mentioned. I doubt he even opens it.

sure he will.

Armstrong is not the center of the cycling universe ya know.

A

Anonymous

Bala Verde said:
Wouldn't surprise me if they used bags filled with blood drawn prior to the CERA test. This old blood could thus have contained traces of CERA when they were training. On second thought, that seems a little expensive...

Or, CERA is continuously being reconfigured in Eastern European labs, so they hope that it cannot be detected (Is that possible at all?)

Or CERA offers the most bang for the buck, and they think they can get away with it. I mean, they are older riders on a low end team. Would they have the money to invest in high tech solutions? Di Luca as a 2nd place Giro finisher got caught as one of the few, so do we assume no one else uses, or do we assume many slipped though the gaps...

in the end for me anyhow it seems like Risk vs Reward. The cyclist seem to think the risk is still minimum compared to the Rewards.

TRENDING THREADS