• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
HL2037 said:
Yes I was kidding a bit, but I have no doubt that this new team headed by Andy Schleck will target the US. Radioshack the company has no presence in Europe. They simply have no shops here, no costumers. So they will only be seen at US races and then of course the one European race that americans know: tdf.

The Schlecks have been riding the Amgen Tour of California for many years now.
With CSC/Saxo and then with LeOpard.
Frank has won a stage.

They also rode the inagural Tour of Colorado with LeOpard.

I would expect that trend to continue.
The Tour of California is good Tour Prep BTW.
And the Tour of Colorado is an awesome post-Tour race.

A

Anonymous

Polish said:
Story up on CNN:
Nicely written....

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/06/sport/cycling-radioshack-leopard-merger/

Great publicity for Radioshack and Nissan and Trek.
Good quotes by Team Boss Johann too.

yes quotes like

we now have the potential to win not only Classics and major stage races but Grand Tours as well.

Erm, hang on a minute. When radioshack was formed, wasnt the plan to win the Tour de France, dominate cycling, win all sorts of races. Now all bruyneel can come up with is Radioshack have dominated the American domestic scene.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
They also rode the inagural Tour of Colorado with LeOpard.

They certainly did, Polish. In the words of a confused american cycling fan on RS's homepage:

"What about Levi. He beat both Shleck brothers in Co."

That is my point, Polish. The Schleck brothers should stick to the European scene and leave the really tough races like Cali and Colo to hardmen like Levi Leipheimer and Chris Horner. I hold the tour of California responsible for Andy's lack of succes in TdF. ToC is simply too hard, it leaves a young and unexperienced rider like Andy exhausted and burned out before the tour.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I'm hoping they can get Livestrong all over the jersey's. They'd better be some yellow banding around the arms on the jersey's. I want to see Andy & Frank doing their bit for awareness as well. Caps, t-shirts – you name it – they’d better be wearing it. Maybe even see Lance on the training camp riding with Andy and Frank?

I also want to see Andy pacing Horner up Bald Man's mountain in Cali and not hitting the clubs at night. They also need to smash Levi into the ground and make sure the Levination documentary doesn’t get any distribution rights.

But most of all I want to see Lance, Andy, Frank and Alfonso in the new Radioshack commercials.

At the end of the day does it really matter and does anyone care if they still have Liverstrong on there or not

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
moi123 said:
And where does this put Contador...:rolleyes:

As the best GT rider on the planet, and still the odds-on favorite for any GT he enters - right?

I don't think the biggest threat to Contador's dominance comes from another rider or team.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
An ownership stake and a controlling interest are not the same thing. Fundamentally not the same. And I'm not sure why Becca making a comment about the current Team Leopard or next year's combined staffing somehow contradicts anything I've written.

I've said all I care to say on the matter (well, and all I know on the matter!)
Agree, which is why it still seems that Becca is the owner of the licence and JB is the DS and CSE are doing the marketing.
Which to me makes perfect sense for all concerned.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
i remember the last time that radioshack put together a team that would win things

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-confirmed-for-team-radioshack

Back then, they even said Landis might join, with Lance himself saying "I wouldn't rule anything out, [Floyd Landis] is a great rider, a tremendous story."

And we all know how that turned out. :D

Well, Floyd Landis did have a story to tell, the old man didn't lie about that :p

TeamSkyFans said:
yes quotes like
Erm, hang on a minute. When radioshack was formed, wasnt the plan to win the Tour de France, dominate cycling, win all sorts of races. Now all bruyneel can come up with is Radioshack have dominated the American domestic scene.

Bruyneel cannot hide his happiness after realizing he's back once again at the top level of the sport with Andy Schleck as a "truly" Tour de France Contender-he knew after Contador's departure, he had lost the chance to glow again in France with his roster (no offense to Kloden, Horner & Leech-heimer:D)

As far the other "goals" for the rest of the races? the entire world already knows Bruyneel only breaths & lives for the Tour-So does Andy-I guess Cancellara needs to ready himself to accept that reality...

sherer said:
At the end of the day does it really matter and does anyone care if they still have Liverstrong on there or not

Tell that to the 28 million sufferers world wide that the new team will be riding for. Ask them if they care? I bet they say they do. And on that note I expect to see a jersey switch on the final stage without UCI approval.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Tell that to the 28 million sufferers world wide that the new team will be riding for. Ask them if they care? I bet they say they do. And on that note I expect to see a jersey switch on the final stage without UCI approval.

I think 28 jersey switches would be appropriate. How else are we going to beat cancer?

hfer07 said:
Bruyneel cannot hide his happiness after realizing he's back once again at the top level of the sport with Andy Schleck as a "truly" Tour de France Contender-he knew after Contador's departure, he had lost the chance to glow again in France with his roster (no offense to Kloden, Horner & Leech-heimer:D)

As far the other "goals" for the rest of the races? the entire world already knows Bruyneel only breaths & lives for the Tour-So does Andy-I guess Cancellara needs to ready himself to accept that reality...

Bruyneel has already set a strict training regime on Andy. No nightclubs, no girls and he has to complete one chapter of "You might as well win" per night.

Also the Yellow Rose is strictly off limits until after the Tour.

I cannot wait for "You might as well win again" with Andy's face superimposed on Lance's.

wemightaswellwin-bruyneel.jpg

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
moi123 said:
And where does this put Contador...:rolleyes:

Andy still thinks he beat Alberto in the 2010 TdF. We will see.
And both Schlecks beat him in this years TdF.
Nary a bang bang to be seen.
Expect the same next year I would think.

thehog said:
Bruyneel has already set a strict training regime on Andy. No nightclubs, no girls and he has to complete one chapter of "You might as well win" per night.
Also the Yellow Rose is strictly off limits until after the Tour.
I cannot wait for "You might as well win again" with Andy's face superimposed on Lance's.

LOL- but seriously I really wonder how the Andy-Bruyneel relationship is going to work out, knowingly that LA & Contador were very disciplined & goal orientated while the young Schleck is rather laid back & careless if you like......

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
LOL- but seriously I really wonder how the Andy-Bruyneel relationship is going to work out, knowingly that LA & Contador were very disciplined & goal orientated while the young Schleck is rather laid back & careless if you like......

Major teenage rebellion coming up

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
They can call the team whatever they want. None of it matters one bit as long as Andy Schleck can not time trial. In this day the TT is where a tour is won and lost. There is just not enough seperation in the mountain stages between the top riders in the world.

Now if Andy suddenly becomes a world class time trialist after several years of being crap at it; that will certainly raise some eyebrows and the inevitable questions,won't it?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
ScottinPhilly said:
Now if Andy suddenly becomes a world class time trialist after several years of being crap at it; that will certainly raise some eyebrows and the inevitable questions,won't it?

What happens in the wind tunnel stays in the wind tunnel.

hfer07 said:

Interesting question. I've not heard how AS goes about training, or if he really gets after it whole hog. But is AS really careless about training? Or does he care less about training? If the latter, he will never beat AC again without divine intervention... even with Johan.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
yes quotes like

Well, in last 2 seasons, even RS had more success than your skyhigh team.
I am still waiting for the British Tourwinner. Only 2 years left. Perhaps they meant tourstagewinner.

Somehow I find it strange that you use to spend more time and energy on Team RS, L-T, and their players, than on your own British superfutureproject.
What about a TeamRSFans website, proudly presented by middlefingerrecipientofTeamRSteambus.

btw, the only annoying thing I find about Team SKY is you. :D