• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
eleven said:
This year's TdF proved a disaster for RS because most of their GC contenders either crashed out completely or rode with crash-related injuries.

That's not to say that having multiple leaders is a good strategy, only that this year's failure wasn't due having too many.

The more leaders you have the more chances of crashing ! :p

thehog said:

In saying that I think Hog has his work cut out for him.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andy-schleck-talks-about-his-tooth-problems
Next year, Schleck will ride for RadioShack-Nissan-Trek, which he inisists will be registered in Luxembourg.

“One thing is for sure, the team will remain a Luxembourg team. As for any further details I can only refer you to the management and the next press release,” he said.

He also knows one other thing definitely: he and brother Fränk will continue to ride together. “There is nothing to it,” he said of the rumours that his brother might leave the team. “In the future we will always ride on the same team.”

"During this year's Tour de France, Bruyneel had confirmation that RadioShack and Nissan would continue as sponsors for another two years, but has revealed to Het Nieuwsblad that there would be “budgetary limitations”

So is Polish going to come back and tell us how right we were when we pointed out that RadioShack probably didnt have the budget to run a full ProTour team.

So as said countless times, RadioShack had greatly reduced their budget and Becca wanted to reduce his investment so they pooled resources and left a lot of guys dangling.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
pastronef said:

This is the team details he was talking about? Not much info.

Interesting he confirms that his team's budget was cut and did not have enough funds to be competitive next season so he went begging to Becca......looks like the consensus was right again, sponsors cut their budget. Sponsors no longer see CSE as a good investment but they were desperate to remain relevant, even if it meant fielding a weak team

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
I lost interest when the thread became an endless argument about which poster knew what and which poster was wrong. BillyTheTroll has not helped matters.

Your name suits you well. Name calling is a advanced debate tactic that all can respect. Highly intellectual. I entertain a hypothetical because we do not know all the facts and you shouldn't really draw any complete conclusions from reporting that grabs a few quotes. Like I said, if the deal falls apart over the MBL contract, then I'll have egg on my face. Again, I wager not.:D

pmcg76 said:
And yet the supposed genius of Bruyneel has insisted on going to the Tour with no designated leader and multiple contenders for the past three years in a row. Supposedly one of the greatest DS of all time, I dont think so.

Bruyneel´s greatness was having Armstrong....period.....then Contador.....period. He´s done nothing to justify the title of greatest, since. He thought he could pull one out of the hat with multiple leaders and we´ve seen how that has worked for him. Now he´s jumped yet another ship to follow the current best bet (can´t work with Contador until he is cleared, if Contador would work with JB again). The only way JB will get a win with AS is if he can get him to listen to him above listening to his brother, during the race. I think that is the AS biggest problem, outside of racing against a fresh Contador. The brother´s may follow and listen to their directors most of the time, but when it really counts they rely more on each other, may wait for each other and basically if they are riding together cause great damage, but don´t go home with the win.

Another thing I can´t see happening is Horner going back to helping someone else win the tdf. For whatever reason, he is riding his best, has a shot a the podium and is willing to give that up in one of his final seasons? I just don´t see him doing that. Unless he´s planning to pull a TOC, and if he´s feeling it try riding away from AS in the tdf. Don´t see that either, but who knows.

my two cents

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
"During this year's Tour de France, Bruyneel had confirmation that RadioShack and Nissan would continue as sponsors for another two years, but has revealed to Het Nieuwsblad that there would be “budgetary limitations”

So is Polish going to come back and tell us how right we were when we pointed out that RadioShack probably didnt have the budget to run a full ProTour team.

So as said countless times, RadioShack had greatly reduced their budget and Becca wanted to reduce his investment so they pooled resources and left a lot of guys dangling.

Wrong again.
Wrong as usual.

Where does it say "Radioshack greatly reduced their budget" lol.

Bruyneel is sending a message to the UCI and others.

'You must approve my SuperTeam"
"If you do not approve, no Radioshack and no LeOpard"
'You MUST approve"

It is not a coincidence that Johan is saying this now during the approval process.
Johan brilliant as usual.
Others wrong as usual.

And pmcg, please provide a link where you have been right about ANYTHING in this thread.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I see no press release about this merger on Radioshack's corporate website.

Therefore, this new sponsorship is obviously not happening. Becca and JB are just making **** up.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Where does it say "Radioshack greatly reduced their budget" lol.

Here is a JB quote on this topic:

During this year's Tour de France, Bruyneel had confirmation that RadioShack and Nissan would continue as sponsors for another two years, but has revealed to Het Nieuwsblad that there would be “budgetary limitations”.
Source: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-looks-to-win-the-tour-de-france-with-andy-schleck

They should undoubtedly go well. At least Bruyneel cannot make Andy worse, than 2nd 3 times in a row. And Bruyneel will probably trust in him unlike Anderson. ( Maybe some training rides with LA might help ) They should also get the teams classification at the TDF and at least 2 other riders in the top 10. Cancellara could win a few classics. All in all they should get a lot of UCI points.

Was this the best option?

During the TdF Bob Stapleton (HTC) hinted he had been approached by someone about a merger. If it was Johan B (who says he didn't start talking to Leopard until after the Tour), wouldn't that have been a better combination? It would have kept one more team based in the U.S, would have been better for the U.S. sponsors, and in the end Tejay van Garderen may be a better all-round GC contender than Andy S.

For the benefit of Polish who wants to know when I ever got anything right in this thread, from Sep 9.

pmcg76 said:
it seems obvious to me at least, that RadioShack/Nissan didnt commit to sponsoring a full team in 2012 and so Bruyneel went looking for a team to merge with. QUOTE]

And now we have Bruyneel saying RadioShack-Nissan did agree to continue but with "budget constraints" so he went looking for a team to merge with.

Of course Polish will try to claim that a reduced budget is not the same as budget constraints

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
For the benefit of Polish who wants to know when I ever got anything right in this thread, from Sep 9.

pmcg sept9 quote=:
it seems obvious to me at least, that RadioShack/Nissan didnt commit to sponsoring a full team in 2012 and so Bruyneel went looking for a team to merge with. end quote

And now we have Bruyneel saying RadioShack-Nissan did agree to continue but with "budget constraints" so he went looking for a team to merge with.

Of course Polish will try to claim that a reduced budget is not the same as budget constraints

How about if Polish claims that the budget of Radioshack and Nissan was NOT reduced at all.
Not reduced "drastically" or otherwise.
Budget probably went up.

And Johan claimed "limitations" not "constraints" btw.
There is a difference.

But more importantly, Bruyneel did NOT go looking for a team to merge with as per your Sept 9 post.
Sorry pmcg - wrong again.

It was Burke, Owner of TREK, who suggested the merger.

Burke was sponsoring LeOpard.
TdF winners without a Pilot.
Lots of bikes...

And Burke was sponsoring Radioshack.
Pilot without TdF winners.
Lots of bikes...

"How about Team PeanutButterCup" suggests Mr Burke.
"Great Idea!" says Bruyneel who wants the Schlecks.
"Great Idea!" says Becca who needs Bruyneel.
"Great Idea!" says Radioshack and Nissan who want exposure.
"Can't call it Team PeanutButterCup" say the lawyers at Reese's.

But all that said, I will admit I was wrong too.
I did not realize that Mr Burke was the Brains behind the merger.
Damn, I wish they were riding Bianchi:(

Where's My Sippy Cup? said:
During the TdF Bob Stapleton (HTC) hinted he had been approached by someone about a merger. If it was Johan B (who says he didn't start talking to Leopard until after the Tour), wouldn't that have been a better combination? It would have kept one more team based in the U.S, would have been better for the U.S. sponsors, and in the end Tejay van Garderen may be a better all-round GC contender than Andy S.

That's where the Armstrong "toxic" comment came from. HTC ran a mile at the mention of Armstrong. Becca has hedged his bets. The risk is big but he might squeeze out a year before it all falls apart. Judging by the way things have kicked off it doesn't look good. Nothing confirmed and Andy hiding away. If he was proud of working with Hog he should be telling the world. He almost looks embarrassed that its come to this.

Where's My Sippy Cup? said:

But would Cav have still rode at HTC. Thtat would not of helped TJVG develop. And they both have super teams with good domestiques. Leopard have great leaders but not other riders capable of owning.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
In keeping with the "I told you so!" theme, I'd like to remind everyone of this stellar contribution from patterson_hood:

just some guy said:
Leopard have released a statement saying it in not true for what ever it is worth.

patterson_hood said:
Well, in the language of the clinic...

They've denied it? Well it must be true, only guilty people deny anything! It's obviously happening and you're an imbecile if you don't wake up and realise it. Even if it doesn't happen it actually really is happening, you either aren't smart enough to see it or are a fanboy blocking it out.

In the real world, I guess it probably means it isn't true. Can't see the reasons why myself.

Edit:
I mean can't see the reasons why they would merge

DOH!

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Can anybody verify/comment on an interview with Becca that apparently appeared in today's L'Equipe? According to the SaxoBank-Sungard team fan forum:

- they are allowed to get 28 riders under contract
- CSE society, who was the owner of RadioShack licence, doesn't exist anymore, so ALL the riders of RadioShack are free, even if they have signed a contract extension (like Horner, Zubeldia, Kloden...)
- ALL the riders contracted to Leopard-Trek for next year are staying, i.e. 20 riders, plus Jens Voigt re-signing = 21 riders
- Only 7 spots to fill (assuming that Didier is one of them)

It looks like this was only the print edition of the paper - I can't find a shortened version online anywhere, so have to quote the post from the Saxo forum.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
Can anybody verify/comment on an interview with Becca that apparently appeared in today's L'Equipe? According to the SaxoBank-Sungard team fan forum:

It looks like this was only the print edition of the paper - I can't find a shortened version online anywhere, so have to quote the post from the Saxo forum.

This is correct. CSE is the team that is folding so all of their riders are out of a job. Some have found work, Paulinho should announce tomorrow he signed with Saxo.

Funny how CSE signed deals with Horner and Kloden, even though they already knew they were not going to be around next year. Horner still does not know where he will be riding next year.

Fuglsang certainly is not happy with the changes
http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article1620742.ece