• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
MajorTom said:
it's the opposite. Jani was 58 kilos all season and Bruyneel required from him to gain 2 kilos otherwise he wouldn't be allowed to start Vuelta

Nope - its says loose weight. El espan~ol en mi lengua nativa y lo entiendo completamente.

Bruyneel does not like it when his riders speak ill if him. Remember Benjamin Noval..

Hey Race Radio - there is another one for your list of anti-Hog quotes. He gave an interview around time of '09 Tour. Was big news back in Asturias. Here is some, I know the whole thing was transcribed in spanish - not sure where though. http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo/noval-bruyneel-apoya-contador/20090702dasdascic_7/Tes

Back on topic - Saw Martin Pederson is rumored to go to Christina Watches. That's like trading in a Mercedes for a Nissan.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
there were a couple of interviews in Slovenian media with Jani in the last days so you'll have to believe me :D

Bicicleta said:
Bruyneel does not like it when his riders speak ill if him. Remember Benjamin Noval..
Jani hasn't said anything bad about him

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Bicicleta said:
Nope - its says loose weight. El espan~ol en mi lengua nativa y lo entiendo completamente.

Hey Race Radio - there is another one for your list of anti-Hog quotes. He gave an interview around time of '09 Tour. Was big news back in Asturias. Here is some, I know the whole thing was transcribed in spanish - not sure where though. http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo/noval-bruyneel-apoya-contador/20090702dasdascic_7/Tes

Back on topic - Saw Martin Pederson is rumored to go to Christina Watches. That's like trading in a Mercedes for a Nissan.

I agree, it does say lose weight....but I think it was miss translated from the original language. Jani's big issue been "Manarexia" he tends to get too light. It really hurts him in longer races.

Ahh, another good quote.

Benjamin Noval
this year the atmosphere in the team has been really bad, but it was bad because of Johan Bruyneel,

Race Radio said:
I agree, it does say lose weight....but I think it was miss translated from the original language. Jani's big issue been "Manarexia" he tends to get too light. It really hurts him in longer races.

Ahh, another good quote.

Benjamin Noval

Poor Jani he knows what 2012 entails. Riding alone in races and non-tour selection. He may even get a loaner bike to ride on now and then.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Read a rumor that Chris Horner and Andreas Kloden will be on the team, but Jakob Fuglsang won't be. Can this possibly be true?

2 old guys vs. a potential future TdF winner. Why go old?

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
At best Jakob could probably place on the podium. This year at the Vuelta was a good chance for him. Monfort did better.

Horner does not seem to understand how many in a team race in a GT. He says something along the lines of ( Horner, Shlecks, Jani and Kloden ) shall be leaders. Then the other 5 will work. Where do riders like Voigt, Cancellara, Zubeldia, Busche and even Bennati fit into that?

Also Andy is a strong enough rider. On his ITTing he just needs to work on consistency, practice more and not have a lopsided position with half his but off the bike.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Think about this though: Klöden or Jani in the form of their life. They blitz the TTT in the beginning Astana-09 style by dropping Andy and Fränk and finishing with Cancellara, Monfort and Fuglsang. In the mountains, they are able, thanks to the pacing of Andy and Fränk, to keep their losses very limited to the more explosive climbers. Klöden kills it on the final ITT of +- 50 km ... first GT win at age 36 ... first German since the Kaiser!

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:
Think about this though: Klöden or Jani in the form of their life. They blitz the TTT in the beginning Astana-09 style by dropping Andy and Fränk and finishing with Cancellara, Monfort and Fuglsang. In the mountains, they are able, thanks to the pacing of Andy and Fränk, to keep their losses very limited to the more explosive climbers. Klöden kills it on the final ITT of +- 50 km ... first GT win at age 36 ... first German since the Kaiser!

The only problem with that is The Frandy riders are not going to let another tour title get taken off them by a team(mate)member again.

Fränk and Andy looked like someone had runner over their dog when Carlos won.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
So far the team looks like:

Of Team LEOPARD TREK:

Andy Schleck, Fränk Schleck, Fabian Cancellara, Robert Wagner, Daniele Bennati, Jakob Fuglsang, Maxime Monfort, Jens Voigt, Giacomo Nizzolo

Of Team RadioShack:

Andreas Klöden, Chris Horner, Janez Brajkovic, Matthew Busche, Nelson Oliveira, Jesse Sergent, Ben King, Markel Irizar, Haimar Zubeldia, Ben Hermans, Grégory Rast, Tony Gallopin

New signing:

Laurent Didier (Saxo Bank-SunGard)

http://www.wort.lu/wort/web/sport/a.../laurent-didier-zu-radioshack-nissan-trek.php

Rumoured:

Bob Jungels (neo pro)

Makes 22 so far

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Anyone know what Hermans' response to the merger has been. IIRC he left Radioshack because he was unhappy with the management, can't imagine he's been that stoked to find out that he just resigned to the same team.

He's a good attacking rider, will suck if he doesn't get a chance to show what he can do.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
So far the team looks like:

Of Team LEOPARD TREK:

Andy Schleck, Fränk Schleck, Fabian Cancellara, Robert Wagner, Daniele Bennati, Jakob Fuglsang, Maxime Monfort, Jens Voigt, Giacomo Nizzolo

Of Team RadioShack:

Andreas Klöden, Chris Horner, Janez Brajkovic, Matthew Busche, Nelson Oliveira, Jesse Sergent, Ben King, Markel Irizar, Haimar Zubeldia, Ben Hermans, Grégory Rast, Tony Gallopin

New signing:

Laurent Didier (Saxo Bank-SunGard)

http://www.wort.lu/wort/web/sport/a.../laurent-didier-zu-radioshack-nissan-trek.php

Rumoured:

Bob Jungels (neo pro)

Makes 22 so far

Interesting group so far.

While I think Frank and Andy won't ride any GT's other then the Tour, it will be interesting how the others get allocated. JB seems to stack the Tour squad then put the leftovers at other races, but perhaps this time he'll take a different approach.

The team's got 8 Riders who are capable of at least a top 15 in the GC of a grand tour. I'm hoping we don't see 6 in the Tour and 1 in each of the other GT's.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
Anyone know what Hermans' response to the merger has been. IIRC he left Radioshack because he was unhappy with the management, can't imagine he's been that stoked to find out that he just resigned to the same team.

He's a good attacking rider, will suck if he doesn't get a chance to show what he can do.

Was Hermans unhappy?

From what we saw, he was the lead Ardennes guy for Radioshack this past year. He left for a team where he'd have to domestique for Frank/Andy in atleast 2 of the 3 ardennes (he might have gotten his own opportunity at Amstel Gold). Perhaps that does indicate he had a problem with something at Radioshack... or it could mean he just got more money when he switched.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Was Hermans unhappy?

From what we saw, he was the lead Ardennes guy for Radioshack this past year. He left for a team where he'd have to domestique for Frank/Andy in atleast 2 of the 3 ardennes (he might have gotten his own opportunity at Amstel Gold). Perhaps that does indicate he had a problem with something at Radioshack... or it could mean he just got more money when he switched.

He was disappointed about not getting to ride a GT. Now his chances look even smaller ...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
He was disappointed about not getting to ride a GT. Now his chances look even smaller ...

You are from Luxembourg Christian? Have you seen anything in the local media about the complete team? I thought it was supposed to be announced yesterday?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
You are from Luxembourg Christian? Have you seen anything in the local media about the complete team? I thought it was supposed to be announced yesterday?

It was supposed to be announced yesterday but now it has been pushed back and will be announced "in due time". I read on facebook that Bruyneel had posted that not everything had been worked out yet.

As for the local media the latest articles in the biggest newspapers were all about Laurent Didier's signing. Wort.lu put up the list that I posted above (link included) but it is not official. There is an interview with Becca in the print edition of the magazine "Revue", I am currently trying to get my hands on that (since I live abroad it's a little tricky). I'm pretty sure though there will be nothing of importance concerning the roster.

As for the DS's, so far it looks like Bruyneel, Andersen and Gallopin are confirmed, with Torsten Schmidt going to the Swiss Federation. Leaves Guercilena, Baffi and Michaelsen from LEOPARD TREK and Azevedo, Demol and Ekimov from Radioshack.

My guess would be that 1 Italian (baffi or Guercilena) gets to stay. Azevedo and Michaelsen might depend on how big the Danish/Southern European contingents will end up to be. Demol and Ekimov I don't know

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Kensuke said:
What a strong team...

I mean if Horner Brajkovic or Kloden will working for Brother's Schleck :confused:

I certainly hope not. Horner should race the schedule he did last year and including the Cali, could do some work for the Schlecks in the Suisse, if he is to do a GT, comeback for the the Vuelta which might suit him better. He has always raced well in the Spain. Klöden for the Giro? JBraj has lost some steam as GT candidate.

This year's TdF proved a disaster for for RS because they had too many GC contenders. In a grand tour, it has always been best to have one leader.

BillytheKid said:
I certainly hope not. Horner should race the schedule he did last year and including the Cali, could do some work for the Schlecks in the Suisse, if he is to do a GT, comeback for the the Vuelta which might suit him better. He has always raced well in the Spain. Klöden for the Giro? JBraj has lost some steam as GT candidate.

This year's TdF proved a disaster for for RS because they had too many GC contenders. In a grand tour, it has always been best to have one leader.

And yet the supposed genius of Bruyneel has insisted on going to the Tour with no designated leader and multiple contenders for the past three years in a row. Supposedly one of the greatest DS of all time, I dont think so.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
BillytheKid said:

This year's TdF proved a disaster for RS because most of their GC contenders either crashed out completely or rode with crash-related injuries.

That's not to say that having multiple leaders is a good strategy, only that this year's failure wasn't due having too many.