• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liege Bastogne Liege-7 hour monument, Sunday, April 21, 2024

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• MVDP

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • MVDP

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • MVDP

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • MVDP

• MVDP

• MVDP

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • MVDP

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • MVDP

• MVDP

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • MVDP

• Total voters
The good thing about this predictability in cycling 2024 is that you can easily plan your day around the one relevant moment. I was out the whole day, just got back in time for La Resource, watched 10 minutes and then could have Pog riding solo and a bit of fighting for the podium in the background while showering, cooking etc.
Overall obviously boring stuff but I'm at least happy for Bardet.

In this race how would it have made a difference? The group wouldn't have just let a Bardet stay away imo. That size group could close down 20s in ~7km or whatever if they were racing for the win. Of course they know MvDP is unbeatable in the sprint so there would have been attacks, but I still think mvdps chances of beating the entire field minus Pog would have been greater without Pog up the road.

But if Remco were present that would have also been a problem. So I think we can say MvDP is going to need a lot of tactical luck, a change of course, some freakish weather (?) or some better climbing doms to ever win this race among this generation of riders. Still a podium is mad respectable.
If Pog wasn’t here and Bardet, Carapaz, Bernal, Van Gil were racing for the win, I don’t believe MVDP would have caught them today. That didn’t mean it would be that way in the future —but in the future he’ll have Remco and perhaps someday Vingegaard, as well as Pog to try to hang with.

Van der Poel's result is historic.

Someone of his weight podium iat Lieje is not easy at all, although it is true that the new route makes it easier.

How many Roubaix winners have been on the Liège podium? It's like if Pogacar makes a podium in Roubaix one day, it would be something historic, although we all dream that one day he can win it, but something would have to happen to the favorites, It is not his race, as it's not Líeje of VDP either.
A bit like Wva podium last year?

Reactions: topcat
24 truly is a one-sided affair and not looking up. Cycling can be a tough mistress.
Same last year untill Pogacar crashed in Liege he and Mvdp cleaned house in the monuments i believe. I myself dont see Evenpoel beeing very close, indeed the closest maby Roglic too could muster a good results both most likely better then rest here indeed. To bad they aint here but the result i doubt wouldnt change much .Same for Van Aert in flandern is my belief but however it certaintly would bring more excitement and suspense.

But what a race. chapeau to vdp and Bardet really impressive from both. Van gils aswell starting to really turn into something, Strade, FW and this.

Last edited: