• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

liggett and sherwen corporate shills

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Liggett saying how ridiculous the French to be harassing Armstrong, 40 tests since he has come back, out of competition. I would like to audit those numbers.

Demagogue, channeling Armstrong's talking points on the French.

Liggett, off to the sanitorium for you, you silly old git.

Lets just endorse Armstrong's doping while you are at it.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, pretty odd statements from Phil and Paul. Lance is no doubt on the UCI's 50 targeted riders list and, well, targeted riders get tested. Hardly surprising that he has been targeted and tested so frequently considering Lance's suspect history and comments about being the most tested athlete on earth. Is Lance complaining? Other than a running total on twitter, I doubt that he is raising too much of a fuss.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Yeah, pretty odd statements from Phil and Paul. Lance is no doubt on the UCI's 50 targeted riders list and, well, targeted riders get tested. Hardly surprising that he has been targeted and tested so frequently considering Lance's suspect history and comments about being the most tested athlete on earth. Is Lance complaining? Other than a running total on twitter, I doubt that he is raising too much of a fuss.

And to make it even odder, P&P alluded to there being too much testing for many of the riders. Funny, I would have thought they would have put a positive spin on all the testing and that there have not been any positives (yet).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
badboygolf16v said:
Sherwen's in like Flint with Armstrong and Bruyneel. What else do you expect? Sadly, they're part of the problem of doping in cycling.

if they aren't 'in like Flynn' with Lance they'll end up on his troll list and never get an interview. It's all part of Lance's black and white way of looking at the world. I wish that they'd also stop referring to Cadel Evans as 'poor old Cadel'.

ProfTournesol said:
if they aren't 'in like Flynn' with Lance they'll end up on his troll list and never get an interview. It's all part of Lance's black and white way of looking at the world. I wish that they'd also stop referring to Cadel Evans as 'poor old Cadel'.

I wish they would stop the continual orgasm over Wiggins.

A

Anonymous

blackcat said:
Liggett saying how ridiculous the French to be harassing Armstrong, 40 tests since he has come back, out of competition. I would like to audit those numbers.

Demagogue, channeling Armstrong's talking points on the French.

Liggett, off to the sanitorium for you, you silly old git.

Lets just endorse Armstrong's doping while you are at it.

The words that came out of my mouth when they said that cannot be repeated because it would cause mass incontinence because of their intense voracity and vulgarity. But trust me, the people around you will thank me for not quoting them.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I almost choked when I heard that. I think the word 'Ridiculous' was used by Liggett referring to the testing regime. blah blah blah 3 times in 48 hours, is just ridiculous.. blah blah blah.

Unfortunately I blame these two clowns as purveyors of the Armstrong myth. Continually bloating on about him being the most tested athlete, alluding to him being clean and propagating the French anti-LA agenda.

What kills me is that all these casual 3 week fans just gobble up this jargon as they just don't know any better.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
badboygolf16v said:
Sherwen's in like Flint with Armstrong and Bruyneel. What else do you expect? Sadly, they're part of the problem of doping in cycling.
Sherwen was the public relations man for Motorola. He's never left that role.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
badboygolf16v said:

I agree. They are entertainers being fed talking points, and are part of the problem. Look at Kimmage & Lemond, people think they act like total jackasses, but why wouldn't you? Its the only way to get any attention, in the meantime while the press is ignoring the fact that people demonized Kimmage 20 years ago, pretty much everything he said has since been validated. Phil & Paul don't care, they could stand up for what Kimmage stood up for. They could put their jobs on the line and take a stand, but instead they take the easy way, take the money & do what they're told.
and so the facade continues....

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:
I almost choked when I heard that. I think the word 'Ridiculous' was used by Liggett referring to the testing regime. blah blah blah 3 times in 48 hours, is just ridiculous.. blah blah blah.

Unfortunately I blame these two clowns as purveyors of the Armstrong myth. Continually bloating on about him being the most tested athlete, alluding to him being clean and propagating the French anti-LA agenda.

What kills me is that all these casual 3 week fans just gobble up this jargon as they just don't know any better.

Yes, the next thing we are going to hear about is how unfair it is to take blood, and the interuptions to one's day!

The word around the watercooler is that the reason Phil and Paul only commentate on the last 2 hours of each stage, is that the nursing home only lets them out for 3 hours a day.;) So Matt Keenan has to fill in for them for the first hour or so.:rolleyes:

Paul was on the Motorola pay-roll, and both he and Phil Liggett are wrapped up in the whole Armstrong myth. It's a symbiotic relationship: build up the Armstrong-myth, shift more English-language Tour DVDs. It's a shame: what people forget is that these 2 used to be an excellent commentary team. On Friday's stage Paul said, 'I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but [Armstrong wasn't going to be getting the yellow jersey.]' That's some nice objectivity there.

The comments on the testing yesterday were a disgrace. To describe the targeted testing as 'vindictive' was absolutely disgraceful. They also said that 'all the tests have of course come back negative' - of course not true, because they were talking about tests taken that very day. And of course we know that not all Armstrong's tests have come back negative.

I've spoken to Phil Liggett in a relatively private conversation about Armstrong. The most he would acknowledge was that he didn't know as a fact that Armstrong was clean but that he thought that he was.

R.0.t.O said:
I've spoken to Phil Liggett in a relatively private conversation about Armstrong. The most he would acknowledge was that he didn't know as a fact that Armstrong was clean but that he thought that he was.

Do you think he was being truthful with you or do you think that he was not willing to tell you what he really thought? He had to be lying to you, no?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Yea, when I head those comments about the testing of LA I went crazy. WTF? In that one instant, I completely and utterly lost any respect I had for P & P right there!!! They suck..end of story.

BroDeal said:
Do you think he was being truthful with you or do you think that he was not willing to tell you what he really thought? He had to be lying to you, no?

To give him credit at least he was fairly upfront about it - he said basically 'I have no way of knowing this, but I believe it to be true.' At least he didn't try to say that he knew that he was clean. I'd rather get a fairly straight answer like that then when I asked an ex-pro who rode on Armstrong's team and just got some textbook dancing around the question, "thorny subject" etc.

Was Liggett lying? My view is that he's a bit like one of those TV evangelists that just happens to be raking in cash from people's belief. Who knows whether he actually believes himself and the money-grabbing opportunity grew out of the belief, or whether his beliefs were concocted in order to create the money-grabbing opportunity.

(The other possibility for his lying would be that he knows for a fact that Armstrong is doping and is complicit. I do wonder about this and about whether it is really possible to hide systematic team doping when you're staying in the same hotels as journalists. It would certainly be a lot easier if the journalists knew full well what was going on but had been persuaded that it wasn't anything of interest.)

R.0.t.O said:
To give him credit at least he was fairly upfront about it - he said basically 'I have no way of knowing this, but I believe it to be true.' At least he didn't try to say that he knew that he was clean. I'd rather get a fairly straight answer like that then when I asked an ex-pro who rode on Armstrong's team and just got some textbook dancing around the question, "thorny subject" etc.

Was Liggett lying? My view is that he's a bit like one of those TV evangelists that just happens to be raking in cash from people's belief. Who knows whether he actually believes himself and the money-grabbing opportunity grew out of the belief, or whether his beliefs were concocted in order to create the money-grabbing opportunity.

(The other possibility for his lying would be that he knows for a fact that Armstrong is doping and is complicit. I do wonder about this and about whether it is really possible to hide systematic team doping when you're staying in the same hotels as journalists. It would certainly be a lot easier if the journalists knew full well what was going on but had been persuaded that it wasn't anything of interest.)

I think when Floyd came out with his revelation it put an end to the doubt on Armstrong and Liggett. He like most journalists tried to swat away Floyd and derail the crusade. Phil made an on-air statement about book deals for Landis and Armstrong being the most tested and all the other tired clichés. Phil knew exactly what side of the bread is buttered and he’ll say what makes him rich. It should also be stated that both Phil and Paul should declare any financial arrangement they had with Armstrong. This is standard in the media industry.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I just wish Phil and Paul would quit saying anything that the CN forum doesn't like or agree with. (I think that means just about everything - tough crowd to please here)

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
9000ft said:
I just wish Phil and Paul would quit saying anything that the CN forum doesn't like or agree with. (I think that means just about everything - tough crowd to please here)

Why don't you try to add something to the discussion. You seem to be lurking around every corner, ready to jump in and let all, who don't have you on their ignore list, know how stupid they and the CN forum are.:confused:

spetsa said:
Why don't you try to add something to the discussion. You seem to be lurking around every corner, ready to jump in and let all, who don't have you on their ignore list, know how stupid they and the CN forum are.:confused:

Jock sniffers like that are mad as hell that people found that Armstrong is a fraud and even angrier that they talk about it, which lets more people know the truth.

TRENDING THREADS