• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

liggett and sherwen corporate shills

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm sure everybody here would be slamming their network, UCI, USADA and anybody else about doping and such on the public airways just to prove how ethical and moral you are... :eyesroll:

These guys have jobs and paychecks, what moron would be slamming everybody and making statements to make the sport/network and anybody involved look worse? This applies to any job and career, not just this one.

You wouldn't be employed long. Most of you probably live in your Mom's basement anyway..but that is another issue.

They say some stupid stuff all the time with just basic race related information, that is my biggest issue with these guys. Making up speeds, times and distance covered. The same stories over and over daily. The scripted historical tourist information about scenery Paul reads off like he is some history buff and encyclopedia of knowledge..when we know he isn't.

zigmeister said:
I'm sure everybody here would be slamming their network, UCI, USADA and anybody else about doping and such on the public airways just to prove how ethical and moral you are... :eyesroll:

These guys have jobs and paychecks, what moron would be slamming everybody and making statements to make the sport/network and anybody involved look worse? This applies to any job and career, not just this one.

You wouldn't be employed long. Most of you probably live in your Mom's basement anyway..but that is another issue.

They say some stupid stuff all the time with just basic race related information, that is my biggest issue with these guys. Making up speeds, times and distance covered. The same stories over and over daily. The scripted historical tourist information about scenery Paul reads off like he is some history buff and encyclopedia of knowledge..when we know he isn't.

I think they have their senior moments but at least they have a long history with the sport. In the UK they were really instrumental in raising the profile of the sport in the 1980/90s

:) the historical stuff is meant to be ironic ... We all know he is reading it from a book.

T

zigmeister said:

Main commentator on the biggest channel over here just wrote an article about karma coming back at Lance for being an as*hole in the peloton.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Liggett saying how ridiculous the French to be harassing Armstrong, 40 tests since he has come back, out of competition. I would like to audit those numbers.

Demagogue, channeling Armstrong's talking points on the French.

Liggett, off to the sanitorium for you, you silly old git.

Lets just endorse Armstrong's doping while you are at it.

You'll love what they were saying today.

Every day so far the only mention of LA, Bruyneel and USADA was that Bruyneel had chosen to not attend the Tour this year. Deliberate effort on their behalf to not mention their favourite topic...LA.

So after what happened today, they went into depth. They had to. Phil was neutral, stating the PR line Garmin and others had made. Said that nothing was going on, because JV said so. Nobody has been banned by USADA...blah, blah, basically agreeing with the PR lines. Paul was the more interesting one. Directly said "One day hopefully the truth can come out."

Had me laughing. Paul already knows the truth.

When you get to hear such BS from Phil & Paul., there is a magnificent device that will take away the pain your ears & brains have just suffered:
remote_mute_button_fig1.jpg

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Paul and Phil are commentators. Their job is to make the TDF and any other cycling event enjoyable (or at least as enjoyable as it can be watching cycling for four hours). I am assuming that the average TDF viewer doesn't care to hear about the dark underside world of cycling, and much less about the allegations that Armstrong is a doper. I can totally understand why they would play down the allegations. At the end of the day, NBC Sports is a business. If they want more viewers, it doesn't help to vilify Armstrong.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Armanius said:
Paul and Phil are commentators. Their job is to make the TDF and any other cycling event enjoyable (or at least as enjoyable as it can be watching cycling for four hours). I am assuming that the average TDF viewer doesn't care to hear about the dark underside world of cycling, and much less about the allegations that Armstrong is a doper. I can totally understand why they would play down the allegations. At the end of the day, NBC Sports is a business. If they want more viewers, it doesn't help to vilify Armstrong.

I agree

although I think the pressure cooker will be turned up another notch once the commentating starts with the Olympics to discuss the dark underside.

Key Actors

The role of P&P in this massive sporting fraud should not be underestimated. TW and BS were the masterminds; MF and JB the coal-face tactitions; LA the talent; and P&P's role was to sell the story to average joe punter. Average Joe would watch cycling once a year (TDF), get sucked into the myth by the dulcet tones of P&P, then go out and buy a new Trek bike, oakley sunnies, a set of nike/livestrong clothes and all the other crap that was being pedalled - kachin$.

Were P&P complicit or dupes themselves? I could almost be led to believe that Phil has been duped - he comes from that era when cricket was cricket and heros were just that: heros. Paul on the other hand is much closer to "peleton" and must know the whole story in the same way that Roll surely does. When this is all finally done and dusted I surely hope that they get their comeuppance.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Armanius said:
Paul and Phil are commentators. Their job is to make the TDF and any other cycling event enjoyable (or at least as enjoyable as it can be watching cycling for four hours).

They are indeed commentators, and if that is their brief then they have failed dismally for me. I am not any kind of cycling veteran, but I find their lack of knowledge extremely irritating.

Arm said:
I am assuming that the average TDF viewer doesn't care to hear about the dark underside world of cycling, and much less about the allegations that Armstrong is a doper. I can totally understand why they would play down the allegations. At the end of the day, NBC Sports is a business. If they want more viewers, it doesn't help to vilify Armstrong.

They may well not (though I suspect there is a certain morbid curiosity in the underside). However, there is a real distinction between not mentioning it for perfectly understandable commercial and legal reasons and spreading what you know to be false or misleading information. That is what this pair do - "this is for publicity", "I've looked into his eyes", "waste of taxpayer's money" - all muddying the waters.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
slowspoke said:
http://www.flashsportstreams.tv:)

Although you do have to put up with twice busted Sean kelly

Yeah, I've taken to running the steephill.tv streams off my laptop with the Liggetty commentary on the TV, but it gets a bit out of sync at times. I really like Sean Kelly's commentary, prefer silence while he's thinking to the banal repetitions of P&P.

When doping comes up, Kelly goes silent. Sure it's not ideal, but he knows he's fooling no-one with his silence. P&P actively vilify everyone but Armstrong while defending Armstrong with lies and deceit.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
They're a couple of assclowns.
I honestly thought that the departure of one-nut cancer boy would have brought about a sensible change in these two....But what can you expect from LA fanboys....
Try Eurosport.

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking that Lance must have some real dirt on these two. Their sycophancy is insufferable. Maybe he pays them to shill but maybe he has had PIs uncover some skeletons in their closets.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Armanius said:

Armstrong issue aside, they fail in the bolded part every day. Phil gets the rider on the screen's name correct 21.7% of the time. He only gets the time gap (even when clearly displayed on the feed they are getting right) 17.3% of the time. But 100% of the time, when the subject of Armstrong is raised, he gets some brown stuff on his nose.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Armanius said:

Of course they are not going to bring up the darkside unless they absolutely must. Pro cycling is there bread & butter. Hell, they even appear in a few commercials here in the US.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Armstrong issue aside, they fail in the bolded part every day. Phil gets the rider on the screen's name correct 21.7% of the time. He only gets the time gap (even when clearly displayed on the feed they are getting right) 17.3% of the time. But 100% of the time, when the subject of Armstrong is raised, he gets some brown stuff on his nose.

....having been exposed to that crew since seemingly forever I will say there has always been some brown stuff on his nose anytime any "English speaker" is on the screen or in the conversation...

...but it is true he has a special affinity for all "English speaking" Tour winners...both of the near past and further past variety...a polisher of reputations for the several decades now...

Cheers

blutto

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Andy and Frank get a good showing tho Blutto.

Depends who the rival is. They can define them by their opposition.

...good point...errr...points...though the Shecklets do have that pasty sickly British snotty twit thang going, so maybe Phil just got confused and made a rare booboo:D....

...didn't mean to posit my thoughts about the Phillster as an ironclad rule just a very strong tendancy...heck there may even be some "English Speakers" he hasn't fawned over, but I can't, for the world of me, recall....

...and do keep in mind that during the early part of my interest in cycling, the English mags, would typically include in their coverage of European racing the placing of all " English Speakers"...and Phil is definitely a product of that period...and yes, there was/is more than a tinge of homerism or at worst xenophobia in that tendency...a theme that reached an early fever pitch when the Phil team ( along with CBS who really ramped up the us vs them rhetoric...to the point of nausea in cases ) was polishing GL's rep....it became this weird story of the great white hope complete with the prerequisite heavy moral overtones and everything we dislike Phil for now...to many it was as embarassing in its day as the Phil LA axis is presently...

Cheers

blutto

Houndbike said:
Phil just lost a few more fans with his outburst against BMX and MTB

http://www.theage.com.au/olympics/c...t-liggetts-hurtful-sledge-20120726-22vqw.html

Phil is an idiot and a complete buffoon. As if we needed more proof.

Liggett said adding the two sports to the program had been done at the detriment of track cycling.

He said Olympic founder Pierre de Coubertin ''would laugh his head off'' if he found out BMX was part of the Games.

If Phil is going to cite de Coubertin's goals, then what would de Coubertin say about 'elitist' comentators and 'professional' cyclists 'doped to the gills'?

de Coubertin might have a slightly bigger issue about that. In fact, going by de Coubertin's ideals, BMX and MTB arguably belong ahead of road and track cycling.

On elitism and including sports like BMX:

"All sports for all people."

"Sport must be accessible to working class youth."

"The Olympic Spirit is neither the property of one race nor of one age.”

On doping and cheating:

"Olympism seeks to create a way of life based on the joy found in effort, the educational value of a good example and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles."

Dave.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Phil is an idiot and a complete buffoon. As if we needed more proof.

Liggett said adding the two sports to the program had been done at the detriment of track cycling.

He said Olympic founder Pierre de Coubertin ''would laugh his head off'' if he found out BMX was part of the Games.

If Phil is going to cite de Coubertin's goals, then what would de Coubertin say about 'elitist' comentators and 'professional' cyclists 'doped to the gills'?

de Coubertin might have a slightly bigger issue about that. In fact, going by de Coubertin's ideals, BMX and MTB arguably belong ahead of road and track cycling.

On elitism and including sports like BMX:

"All sports for all people."

"Sport must be accessible to working class youth."

"The Olympic Spirit is neither the property of one race nor of one age.”

On doping and cheating:

"Olympism seeks to create a way of life based on the joy found in effort, the educational value of a good example and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles."

Dave.
BC have poached track riders from BMX, and no doubt road riders from MTB as well.

TRENDING THREADS