• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liggettisms TDF 2011

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 4, 2010
Visit site
He's done it again! Just as yesterday within a minute or so of starting the commentary. "It's an early morning breakaway even though they started at one in the afternoon."

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
il_pirata said:
At the end of the stage today, Phil got a bit excited about the Rainbow jersey, as Thor rose up to celebrate, Phil exclaimed 'Both arms in the world.'

It's a tough job, but he really is a poor commentator and that's a reason why we love him I suppose!
People will complain about Phil till the cows come home but the fact remains the first time he isnt commentating we are going to miss him!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
He just declared that HTC was "stringing out that peloton like a flag in the dark". I don't even understand how you get your metaphors that mixed.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Despite having watched Mikhail Ignatief in the break all day he still managed to call him Michel Delage when he and Terpstra were away with a few kilometres to go.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Apparently Cav will be "taking the yellow jersey home to the UK"

Cant wait to see him crest d'Huez 2 hours ahead of Contador and co.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
On Luz Ardiden, did anyone hear him say - when the Schlecks were apparently discussing race tactics at close to max effort while Contador was behind or in between them - something like:

"The Schleck brothers are having a bit of a conversation here. It's good that Contador doesn't understand English very well.[awkward pauze] Nor does he speak German for that matter"

:eek:

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Did anyone else hear him say today something about someone, I think Jens, "pooping" into the picture?

Your ears were not deceiving you, I heard it too.
Then later he said Cavendish was taking the yellow jersey home to where it belongs. I can see commentators making mistakes, it's tough duty.
However, if they were not so focused on the fear of "dead air", and perhaps gave a bit of thought to what they are going to yap about next we wouldn't have so many dumb comments. I don't know why many commentators deem it necessary to constantly foam at the mouth.
I've had the good fortune to have seen some English Premier League Football matches with Martin Tyler commentating. Entertaining and knowledgeable.
I like his style. Any other posters familiar with him?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
On Luz Ardiden, did anyone hear him say - when the Schlecks were apparently discussing race tactics at close to max effort while Contador was behind or in between them - something like:

"The Schleck brothers are having a bit of a conversation here. It's good that Contador doesn't understand English very well.[awkward pauze] Nor does he speak German for that matter"

:eek:

yep - I think Sherwen covered the fact that Contador DOES speak English by suggesting that they were speaking their National language rather than English or German.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
yep - I think Sherwen covered the fact that Contador DOES speak English by suggesting that they were speaking their National language rather than English or German.

Just for good measure he topped that off with "or burg-ish".

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Paul did his tire pressure-BS again today. But the day's favorite from Phil: "After 16 stages of racing even I can recognize the riders". Good to see he has some self-insight

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
"Andy (Schleck) is the people's champ. No one likes Contador and no one knows Cadel."

...and there went the last .000000000001% of credibility he had.

If only there was another HD channel that showed Le Tour in the US.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
"Andy (Schleck) is the people's champ. No one likes Contador and no one knows Cadel."

So glad I missed it...would have thrown something at the TV in anger...which would have not allowed me to watch today's stage on the big screen..

Just when I was thinking he was getting pretty level headed...and Paul and Bob were the haters.

Maybe i should submit an Ask Bobke question...and ask when he he give unbiased commentary?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
sadfitty said:
Paul did his tire pressure-BS again today. But the day's favorite from Phil: "After 16 stages of racing even I can recognize the riders". Good to see he has some self-insight

Priceless explanation.

TRENDING THREADS