• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Like a Tiger...maybe Cheetah is better?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Check this out. It gets worse. Karma or reaping what you sow? Doesn't matter, the universe is not on his side anymore. With the Lance/Trek/Lemond court case next February/March and now this, well I'm feeling delighted. Regardless of the machinations and undertakings I'll be entertained for a while.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...to-investigation/story-e6freyk9-1225810890790

Now look at some pictures of Woods from the last five years and compare them to a decade back. Barry Bonds like? All I know is that with that upper body no wonder he blew his knee. He has the chest of a line backer. That takes serious gym time to develop that kind of upperbody muscle. I'm not going to bother questioning the myth anymore, but drugs in the boot at the border! We've all heard that before. Next.

A

Anonymous

I'm reserving judgement on him until they can actually link him to something real rather than hearsay. Everyone wants to kick him when he's down.

As for his body mass a la Barry Bonds. Not a chance. He's no where near as big as Bonds got and I've seen both up close. He looks more like someone that trains hard and takes care of his body. Where as Bonds' head grew enormously along with the rest of his body. If Tiger's head grew Bonds-like than I'd be more prone to say he doped.

He's always had phenominal swing speed which in turn creates awesome torque on his knees. But that's the oddity of a golf swing. A golf swing is just not normal on any body and the knees are an important but also vulnerable part of a swing since you have to keep it in place and not rotate it like a baseball swing. His added strength only added to the torque but I wouldn't blame it on PED's just yet. It was probably bound to happen and will probably be more common as the younger, stronger and more fit players take over the sport.

So, like LA there is circumstantial evidence in regards to Tiger's "Dr. Ferrari" who got caught but again, I'll reserve judegement until they find his "blood bag".

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't think they'll find a blood bag for a golfer. Walking 18 holes is hardly taxing on anyone, even John Daly back when he had an extra 30 kilos. My point was to acquire and maintain that physique with all his partying and course time would be strenuous. I can foresee a number of golfers taking shortcuts rather than flog themselves in the gym.

Drugs in the car at the border check. Management appealing to the press to keep it quiet. Ignoring the sport and athletes name it sounds and smells like a cycling scandal. Don't get me started on the improvements in driving distances over the last decade. Technology answers those questions (or so the documentaries say). Yeah, heard that before as well from cycling. Cycling seems to be the testing sport. Doping scandal. Just copy what the cyclists and UCI have been doing and have benchmarked. Maybe they should patent their excuses and behaviour? Make a buck whilst they can. Or outsource strategic planning for doping scandals.

Golfers are more prone to use beta-blockers to increase concentration and reduce shaking than they are to take steroids. Golf isn't won in the 400+ yard drives (of which Tiger was capable LONG before bulking up). It's won in the putts.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I believe Greg Norman was on record about 3 years back about there being PEDs in golf.

If it aint the guys who get their eyes altered to have improved 20/20 vision, that is, their distance vision I believe, can be improved under surgery, so it is improved versus normal vision, then who else will take the jump.

Woods and Vijay Singh have had the eye surgery. Albeit, Singh had these big Kurt Rambis coke bottle glasses.

I reckon there would be beta blockers, and a little strength products, like testo, if they are not getting home visits by testers ooc. Tiger's facial muscle is also large, and he has this waxy and shiny gleen that hgh tends to give. Definitely not evidence. But Tiger's boyz are Jordan, and A-Rod. A-Rod has been on the gear. Athletes talk. I reckon this is a 1% chance MJ was not on gear in his career. His physique changed remarkably, and he played 100 games a season.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Wallace said:
None of which changes the fact that as a sport golf is significantly less exciting than watching paint dry.

Golf is a game, not a sport. There will be no debate on this.

In other breaking news Tiger Woods has been declared by a panel of US judges to be the sportsman of the decade. 2010 is the last year in the first decade of the second millennium AD. Why is it that a large portion of yanks get this wrong? Don't worry the idiots downunder had it on tv this morning as well. First the millennium was celebrated at the end of 1999, a year early, now they are missing an entire year of sports and declaring a man who plays a game, not a sport, the sports person of the decade! Tiger has enough accolades, does he really need another ego rub? After all, thats part of the reason his failings as a person exist (nobody to keep him in line and call him a ****).

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Golf is a game, not a sport. There will be no debate on this.

In other breaking news Tiger Woods has been declared by a panel of US judges to be the sportsman of the decade. 2010 is the last year in the first decade of the second millennium AD. Why is it that a large portion of yanks get this wrong? Don't worry the idiots downunder had it on tv this morning as well. First the millennium was celebrated at the end of 1999, a year early, now they are missing an entire year of sports and declaring a man who plays a game, not a sport, the sports person of the decade! Tiger has enough accolades, does he really need another ego rub? After all, thats part of the reason his failings as a person exist (nobody to keep him in line and call him a ****).

Lance came in second.

I think Tiger should get an asterick and Lance given the Win:)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091216/ap_on_sp_go_ne/glf_athlete_of_the_decade

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
I have read that Tiger has gone from an unable to gain weight 152 to the 180s the past few years.

Unfortunately - this can be a factor of maturity - I went from 155 and not being able to gain in my 20s to about 190 in my late 30s. I started dropping the weight about three years ago but cannot seem to get much below 165 even when I am putting in 200 mile plus weeks.

CentralCaliBike said:
Unfortunately - this can be a factor of maturity - I went from 155 and not being able to gain in my 20s to about 190 in my late 30s. I started dropping the weight about three years ago but cannot seem to get much below 165 even when I am putting in 200 mile plus weeks.

And was your activity level at the time the same as a pro golfer with enough spare time to bang a plethora of bimbos?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
And was your activity level at the time the same as a pro golfer with enough spare time to bang a plethora of bimbos?

Not really - mostly working 18 hours a day while sitting down. But, in my 20s I could eat like a horse, lift weights, ride and swim, and when attempting to gain weight could not. Now, I am careful about what I eat, have had some fairly high levels of exercise, and cannot lose weight.

CentralCaliBike said:
Not really - mostly working 18 hours a day while sitting down. But, in my 20s I could eat like a horse, lift weights, ride and swim, and when attempting to gain weight could not. Now, I am careful about what I eat, have had some fairly high levels of exercise, and cannot lose weight.

Ha, thought so, hard to get one of them lawyer degree things and have a life at the same time. Wait till you get in your 50's it only gets worse. I weighed about 185 when I got out of high school, about 168-170 through my 20's to early 30's when I was a "real bike racer" and around 175 up to about age 48 while I was a semi serious master. Now that I'm in my mid 50's I can't seem to get on the right side of 200.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
The article about the Canadian Dr. was much more smoke than fire. That said I wouldn't put doping past anyone. A few weeks ago I would have thought Tiger clean, but I also thought he was a bit of a homebody and a boy scout. And yeah, he did look pretty jacked in recent years. I can see tossing on a few lbs. as you get into your 30s, but the guy started to look really big the the shoulders and back.

A question for me is why would a guy like Tiger get on the sauce? How much better does he need to be? I don't see golf like cycling where the guys get on the lube as soon as they hit the pro ranks. I would think a guy at the end of his career would be more likely to dope in order to wring out a couple more years.

bike-breath.comSimple. Chronic.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
BikeBreath said:
The article about the Canadian Dr. was much more smoke than fire. That said I wouldn't put doping past anyone. A few weeks ago I would have thought Tiger clean, but I also thought he was a bit of a homebody and a boy scout. And yeah, he did look pretty jacked in recent years. I can see tossing on a few lbs. as you get into your 30s, but the guy started to look really big the the shoulders and back.

A question for me is why would a guy like Tiger get on the sauce? How much better does he need to be? I don't see golf like cycling where the guys get on the lube as soon as they hit the pro ranks. I would think a guy at the end of his career would be more likely to dope in order to wring out a couple more years.

bike-breath.comSimple. Chronic.

I doubt he would have been using for the sport, possibly for his personal self imagine - sort of like actors and other narcissists. But then again he just might have aged and put on the pounds while lifting a few weights.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not going to say there is no way tiger is doped up but I find it unlikely because golf is a sport of precision more than power or speed, although you do need to hit the ball far there are other mediocre golfers that can hit the ball farther than tiger.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
I'm not going to say there is no way tiger is doped up but I find it unlikely because golf is a sport of precision more than power or speed, although you do need to hit the ball far there are other mediocre golfers that can hit the ball farther than tiger.

Golf, or everything bar putting is all physics. Power and speed of the club to increase velocity of the golf ball. More muscle helps. Mind you since I don't follow the sport or the man I was surprised when this tramp business erupted to see how much he has physically changed. His upper body is far too large. Adam Scott and Geoff Ogilvy (best aussie golfers) are not that large, so why did Tiger's physique increase? He wasn't as large five years to a decade ago as he is now. Muscle does not increase that much without resistance training and/or drug supplementation.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:

But you also need to recover quickly from injury, and I would think HGH would help with that.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:

They used to say this about baseball players and then those guys started smashing a century's worth of records.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
They used to say this about baseball players and then those guys started smashing a century's worth of records.
Yeah, and guys are failing left and right...big names too!

I have no doubt that Tiger is jacked up he bulked up like Barry just not as extreme.

Another suspicious fella is Phelps.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
lwebb12 said:
Yeah, and guys are failing left and right...big names too!

I have no doubt that Tiger is jacked up he bulked up like Barry just not as extreme.

Another suspicious fella is Phelps.

the golf forums are in denial about it.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
the golf forums are in denial about it.
One day they too will see enlightenment!

Set your mind free from the "magic" and the "against all odds" mindset and you can see a sickening pattern.

The only people who really lose out are us fans.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
July 18, 2007

http://www.worldgolf.com/news/pga/gary-player-says-steroids-in-use-on-pga-tour-5728.htm

Gary Player: Steroids in use on PGA Tour

From WorldGolf.com News Services

Gary Player created waves at the British Open Wednesday when the South African legend said he had personal knowledge that performance-enhancing drugs were in use on the PGA Tour.

Steroid testing for golfers? The debate is heating up

Tim Finchem slowly waking up to reality of drug-testing in golf

Player said "it would not surprise me" if golfers tested positive for steroids. "I know there are golfers, some of them are doing [them]."

Player declined to name names, but his comments quickly made the rounds at Carnoustie.

Asked to comment, Tiger Woods said, "I haven't seen anything. This is the first I've heard of it."

Irish golfer Paul McGinley said he welcomed drug testing on the PGA Tour to reinforce to the world "just how clean our sport is."

Player's remarks come as PGA Tour officials have been slow to address the growing call for random drug testing on tour.

TRENDING THREADS