• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

LIVE: TDF stage 2

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
they got caught behind the crash. i saw boonen avoid it and go right (into the wrong road)

Cavendish got lucky with crash, not that he wouldn't have won anyway.

i dont think he got lucky... Columbia did exactly what the best team in the world should do, lead from the front, and keep your star man out of trouble.. they did that job perfectly...

Where cav HAS got lucky, is that hes on 35pts and in green, where boonen is stuck on zero, Oscar Freire has no points... Long way to go till paris, but you never would have thought those two would be on null poit after stage 2

May 17, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
I'm sorry, I wouldn't have said anything if I knew it was just a mistake. Quite simply I've been reading "Friere" constantly in articles recently (cyclingnews articles especially), so I just assumed you thought it was Friere.

My apologies :)
You've probably heard it pronounced 'Friere' as well? From what I've heard, english language commentators just don't seem to give a **** about accurate pronounciation of non-anglophone names.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
they got caught behind the crash. i saw boonen avoid it and go right (into the wrong road)

Cavendish got lucky with crash, not that he wouldn't have won anyway.

Yeah, but it was really a self-made luck given him by the team. What a great lead out. If QS and Rabo would have done their jobs as well, Boonen and Freire would have been there in the finale. Instead, the were getting tossed around in that awful finish.

And what an awful finish! All those traffic islands and curves...I was cringing the whole time. It was absolute chaos up until the very end.:(

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
samb01 said:
You've probably heard it pronounced 'Friere' as well? From what I've heard, english language commentators just don't seem to give a **** about accurate pronounciation of non-anglophone names.

That's true, but about half of commentators in other languages don't care much either :D
The guy over here on TV gets "Freire" right, which is expected over here, but he doesn't get 95% of names even remotely close.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
samb01 said:

that is just stupid could you imagine a commentator trying to pronounce 180 names with the correct pronunciation? I am of Scandinavian heritage and my name is much different than the English version, and although similar, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish do have different pronunciations of the same spelling. So 180 riders you would have to find out how they themselves prefer to be known and then practice some quite unfamiliar inflections, accents and sounds.
that does not sound like a productive use of a commentators time,
simpler to broadcast English version of everyones name