• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Longo eclipses Burton.

I was quite an admirer of Beryl Burton's TT abilities "in the old days", especially as she bettered the mens 24 Hour TT for many years.

However Jeanne's achievements, again in the French ITT champs, are remarkable, especially at 52yo.

No way I was putting this post in the clinic; like Beryl I believe her help was "a nice cup of tea", or perhaps coffee.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
fujitourer said:
The silver medalist was 31 and the bronze medalist was 21.

She is 52. She is as old as both other medalists combined. It is really unbeleivable.

France's cycling talent is in the toilet. If Longo were a U.S. citizen, she would have gotten 4th place at best.

Longo hasn't won a UCI race in years.

TERMINATOR said:
France's cycling talent is in the toilet. If Longo were a U.S. citizen, she would have gotten 4th place at best.

1000x500px-LL-735be6e1_kermit-bale-nod.gif

TERMINATOR said:

1 Evelyn Stevens (HTC Highroad Women) 0:39:22.1
2 Amber Neben (HTC Highroad Women) 0:00:00.2
3 Kristin Armstrong Savola (Peanut Butter & Co. TWENTY 12)0:01:17.1
4 Amanda Miller (HTC Highroad Women) 0:01:33.6

I am really amazed at your ability to gauge Longo's potential in such a narrow window. According to you her 29:45 on the French championship are at best equivalent to 40:55.7 on the US TT, but no way could it be equivalent to 40:39!

Such accuracy, amazing.

France's cycling talent is in the toilet

I assume you are talking about women. On the whole you are right. However there is also prodigious talent among French women cyclist. I suggest you check up on Magdalena de Saint-Jean, 41 years old working ophtalmologist in Marseille and mother of 4. (Finished 3rd on RR), she started biking 4-5 years ago (after 4th kid). She trains between 5 and 7 am.

A

Anonymous

Offtheback said:
No way I was putting this post in the clinic; like Beryl I believe her help was "a nice cup of tea", or perhaps coffee.

I have no doubt this thread belongs in the clinic.

TERMINATOR said:

wow. wish I could check in with you when you are 52 and see how fit you are and how you are 'tearing it up'.
4th place still not shabby for someone that is at least 30 years older than her competition...

I'll write your comments off to immaturity and know that as you grow older you may realize what a true feat of athleticism went right over your head.

Le breton said:

I am really amazed at your ability to gauge Longo's potential in such a narrow window. According to you her 29:45 on the French championship are at best equivalent to 40:55.7 on the US TT, but no way could it be equivalent to 40:39!

Such accuracy, amazing.

Lol very well played sir. Very well played. Love it.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok....<brief Twitter truffle>

Riiiiiiiiiight. Still doesn't explain how she's apparently defying the normal aging process. Unless competitors don't have the same *ahem* advantage. Is she really unique in that respect?

Le breton said:
If Longo goes to the clinic, shouldn't you make a sewer category for Joe Papp?

You can suggest I go wherever you want, but it was inevitable that this thread was going to end-up in The Clinic, since what everyone wants to say/ask/know is whether or not someone knows if Jeannie Longo doped or intended to dope or is a dope...

Chuffy said:
Ok....<brief Twitter truffle>

Riiiiiiiiiight. Still doesn't explain how she's apparently defying the normal aging process. Unless competitors don't have the same *ahem* advantage. Is she really unique in that respect?
Well, compared to men's cycling the talent pool is smaller because fewer women want to ride competitively, and fewer of them get to be actual pros - many having to juggle their training schedules and their studies/jobs. There's also less money involved so presumably there's more clean competitors and a larger gap between different doping programs. All that combines to make it possible for a 52-year-old doper to stay in the game, I imagine.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Le breton said:

Such accuracy, amazing.

France's cycling talent is in the toilet

I assume you are talking about women. On the whole you are right. However there is also prodigious talent among French women cyclist. I suggest you check up on Magdalena de Saint-Jean, 41 years old working ophtalmologist in Marseille and mother of 4. (Finished 3rd on RR), she started biking 4-5 years ago (after 4th kid). She trains between 5 and 7 am.

Like I said, France's women cycling program - assuming you can call it that - is in the toilet.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
wow. wish I could check in with you when you are 52 and see how fit you are and how you are 'tearing it up'.
4th place still not shabby for someone that is at least 30 years older than her competition...

I'll write your comments off to immaturity and know that as you grow older you may realize what a true feat of athleticism went right over your head.

Name a single race that Longo has won in the past 3 years outside of nationals in a country with ZERO talent coming up in the women's rank.

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
Name a single race that Longo has won in the past 3 years outside of nationals in a country with ZERO talent coming up in the women's rank.

Less than 2 sec out of an Olympics podium Beijing 2008 doesn't count, according to your standards, of course...
Not enough talents, there? Bad anti-doping techniques used? I don't think so.
And if she dopes (possible) do you think others don't?
French, not USA, is the berth of new and powerful drugs?
A lot of French TdF favorites, now?
I'm also a skeptic about cycling as a clean sport, but it doesn't change the fact Longo is a fantastic bike racer/talent and is fully passionate for this sport - can you imagine what means at 50+ trying to avoid injuries and wake up every morning following a "pro" training annual plan?

1 United States Kristin Armstrong 34:51.72 Gold
2 Great Britainn Emma Pooley 35:16.01 Silver
3 Switzerland Karin Thurig 35:50.99 Bronze
4 France Jeannie Longo-Ciprelli 35:52.62
5 United States Christine Thorburn 35:54.16

TRENDING THREADS