• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Lotto Dstny Cycling Team

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It now happens all the time.

Goddaert, Goolaerts, Demoitie, Scarponi, Rebellin, Lambrecht, Mäder, de Decker, and so on. Almost every year, at least one pro rider dies on the road, of an accident.

Speeds are increasing, traffic is increasing, and so on.

Many, many accidents happen, sadly… :-(
I gave up riding after almost getting killed recently, when doing nothing wrong on as safe of a road as I can find in my area. I don’t know what the stats say but I’d imagine the majority of serious riders get involved in a life threatening accident at least once in their life. Even a fender bender is just an insurance claim for most drivers but it’s often deadly for cyclists. There’s not many great solutions besides going off road, but in a dream world there would be more large scale cycling/pedestrian only roads.

According to Feltet.dk - though I haven't been able to find the statement from the team itself - the devo riders are, understandably, dropping out of a bunch of races in the upcoming days. Among those (apparently, though I can't find the race in any calendars) a memorial race for Bjorg Lambrecht...

Reactions: Sandisfan
According to Feltet.dk - though I haven't been able to find the statement from the team itself - the devo riders are, understandably, dropping out of a bunch of races in the upcoming days. Among those (apparently, though I can't find the race in any calendars) a memorial race for Bjorg Lambrecht...
Everyone is entitled to his own way of mourning, but I hope they won't forget Bjorg now.

Reactions: Roku and Sandisfan
It now happens all the time.

Goddaert, Goolaerts, Demoitie, Scarponi, Rebellin, Lambrecht, Mäder, de Decker, and so on. Almost every year, at least one pro rider dies on the road, of an accident.

Speeds are increasing, traffic is increasing, and so on.

Many, many accidents happen, sadly… :-(
And distracted driving due to cellphones or overstimulation is another major factor.

It was today. It was won by Floris Van Tricht (yeah, the younger brother of Stan) who dedicated his win to both Bjorg and Tijl.

De Gendt rode like **** again, today. I‘m somehow sick of his complaining about stuff all the time, like last Saturday evening. He complains all the time, but rides *****y nowadays. He was much stronger in 2012 Giro. Maybe he wants to be CPA chief one day, after Adam Hansen leaves.

I would wish de Gendt would stop complaining, and would start to talk about the nice and positive things in life and in cycling. And I wish him his race performances will improve, again - because for the last few years, he rode weakly, and got dropped all the time.

De Gendt rode like **** again, today. I‘m somehow sick of his complaining about stuff all the time, like last Saturday evening. He complains all the time, but rides *****y nowadays. He was much stronger in 2012 Giro. Maybe he wants to be CPA chief one day, after Adam Hansen leaves.

I would wish de Gendt would stop complaining, and would start to talk about the nice and positive things in life and in cycling. And I wish him his race performances will improve, again - because for the last few years, he rode weakly, and got dropped all the time.
He has right to bring up issues in the peloton, why shouldn’t he want to see things change for the better? You say he’s ridden weakly the last couple of years but he did win a Giro stage last year and remember he’s also 36 years old (37 in November), he should be declining.

He has right to bring up issues in the peloton, why shouldn’t he want to see things change for the better? You say he’s ridden weakly the last couple of years but he did win a Giro stage last year and remember he’s also 36 years old (37 in November), he should be declining.
But he also complains a lot about the scientific approach of teams, and how this doesn't match with how he likes to train. Which basically means, just let me do me, and we'll see if it's good enough

De Gendt always has done his own thing / relied on his own wisdom / approach.
He probably complains because he is a bit frustrated that he's getting older and not better, compared to the competition.
It would ofcourse make him look better if he didn't complain, but he's a human and he probably doesn't care too much about his image (anymore).

Well Orbea is definitely a surprise to me. Not sure what to think. Seems like it's financial reasons only. They are bigger so they can spent more money and Lotto is in serious need of more budget, but not sure about the bikes. Decent probably, sure but on top WT level standard? Don't think so. Maybe they want to grow in this market and are planning on investing a lot into innovation for their road bikes.

I think Orbea doesn't leave too much to be desired.
If I may say so, while I have never ever ridden on a Ridley, they have zero appeal to me and seems to be designed to be very much in the middle.

It surprises me too as Ridley is Belgian, and Lotto is Belgian. Moving to a Spanish brand doesn't seem like a logic move, but money makes the world go round.

• Wow
Ewan is the type of rider who will retire when he is no longer competitive, however this is not the case at the moment - The issue will be finding another team - Surely a Direct Energie would be more relevant with Ewan on their books.
If Ewan goes to Total where nobody performs he's better off in retirement frankly!

Ewan was in prime position to win Milan-San Remo in 2021. If he counters Wouts move he's gone I believe. Instead he only covers and is outplayed by Stuyven. From that moment on he had 2 clownish crashes at the 2021 Tour de France & 2022 Giro d'Italia and has never been the same rider ever since. It has to be mental. Because he looked okay again until he lost that sprint due to a twisted finish line and from there on it was downhill again.

That Ewan retirement thing is just some chatter and the press running with it, probably not close to being the truth.

His agent responded again and denied that ofcourse, also keeps playing the victim card like it's disgusting how Lotto-Dstny isn't supporting Ewan, saying they wouldn't do that with someone like De Lie. Completely ignoring the fact that Lotto has supported Ewan for a very long time (like 2 years) while being shiit. Heulot probably shouldn't have said what he said publicly during the Tour, but what he said was just what everyone thought. A boss can be unhappy with an employees performance yk, definitely when that employee isn't giving it his all anymore.

Imagine if Ewan was riding for someone like Lefevere lmao.

Lotto is literally giving him extended paternity leave, I would say that's pretty respectful. Van Aert was still racing 2 days before his kid was born and was back racing 2 weeks later, Ewan has been out for more than a month.

I would wish Skijumper Roglic fan would stop complaining about people complaining.

On a serious note. I wonder which Basque/Spanish riders they will sign. Balderstone, Carlos Canal and the brothers Azparren seem like great, relatively cheap youngsters.