• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Low Carbs Intermittent Fasting Diet

Just came across articles on Low Carbs Intermittent Fasting Diet. There are quite a few scientific studies showing its benefits particularly for Type 2 Diabetes individuals. This link http://lowcarbediem.com/surprising-benefits-of-if-on-a-low-carb-diet/ is a start. Does anyone have experience on how this approach has been or can be applied to endurance sport like cycling? I would appreciate input from anyone with insight on this. Thanks.

Dr. James Morton - the head of nutrition at Team Sky - claims in a quite recent GCN video that based on "over thousand muscle biopsies" they have noticed that exercising in carbohydrate depleted state can enhance at least some adaptative mechanism of training such as mitochondria production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxb2wpvgxk

There is also academic level interest on the idea and a few years ago a group of researchers made an academic inquiry on the mechanism and the results are dealt extensively in a doctoral thesis by Niklas Psilander and in a peer reviewed research paper (which isn't freely accessible):

http://gih.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:766681/FULLTEXT01.pdf

The mechanism and theory do look interesting but one shouldn't jump directly and fully into the bandwagon of glycogen depletion training as there might be some shortcomings and limitations in the research. The authors of exercise physiology/nutrition blog Suppversity found a list of limitations in the research such as that "[w]e don't have any information on whether the increase in PGC1-alpha did even translate into an increase in mitochondrial biogenesis in the absence of adequate glycogen / ATP levels!), I want to reemphasize the scientists very hint that "[l]ongitudinal studies examining protein levels and performance are required" before it can be recommended to include this practice as a staple into your routine!". I think that even Dr. James Morton doesn't actually claim that they measured higher level of mitochondria, but only that the regulatory mechanisms were more active in the biopsies.

http://suppversity.blogspot.fi/2012/10/8x-increase-in-mitochondria-building.html

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
I think you should consult a dietitian for that. But for me, you should try having that diet and not doing a ride for at least a week or two.

BerM

BANNED
Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
Be sure to determine the intensity level of exercise or physical work that should be done in a low-carbo situation. Metabolizing fat requires lots of oxygen, that that usually means fairly low intensity for most people.
Yes, it is important to be careful with exercise when you are on intermittent fasting. In general, intermittent fasting and workouts are safe, but you should follow timing suggestions and your doctor's recommendations, especially if you have health issues. Plan your workout routine accordingly. Use the correct method, plan which exercises to use on which days, and thrive with weight loss or muscle mass. I can also suggest reading this article https://betterme.world/articles/intermittent-fasting-exercise/ It includes some useful info in the topic and might help you figure everything out.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023
Visit site
The low-carb aspect focuses on reducing carbohydrate consumption, typically by limiting or avoiding high-carb foods such as grains, starchy vegetables, and sugary products. This approach aims to stabilize blood sugar levels, promote fat burning, and control appetite. So this is a best source of weight loss.

Reactions: sonorakitchen
Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
The low-carb aspect focuses on reducing carbohydrate consumption, typically by limiting or avoiding high-carb foods such as grains, starchy vegetables, and sugary products. This approach aims to stabilize blood sugar levels, promote fat burning, and control appetite. So this is a best source of weight loss.
The low-carb approach is indeed known for its emphasis on reducing carbohydrate intake, often by avoiding high-carb foods like grains, starchy vegetables, and sugary products. By doing so, it aims to stabilize blood sugar levels, encourage fat burning, and help control appetite, making it a popular choice for weight loss.

Aug 8, 2023
Visit site
Low carb intermittent fasting (LCHF IF) is a dietary approach that combines a low carb diet with intermittent fasting. It has been shown to have a number of benefits for people with type 2 diabetes, including weight loss, improved blood sugar control, and reduced insulin resistance.

There is some evidence that LCHF IF may also be beneficial for endurance athletes. A study published in the journal Nutrition & Metabolism in 2018 found that LCHF IF improved performance in endurance cyclists. The cyclists who followed the LCHF IF diet were able to ride for longer and at a higher intensity than the cyclists who followed a traditional high carb diet.

Another study, published in the journal Metabolism in 2019, found that LCHF IF improved fat oxidation in endurance athletes. Fat oxidation is the process of breaking down fat for energy. Improved fat oxidation can help endurance athletes to burn more fat during exercise and save glycogen for later in the race.

However, it is important to note that more research is needed to confirm the benefits of LCHF IF for endurance athletes. If you are considering trying LCHF IF for endurance sports, it is important to talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian to make sure that it is right for you.

Anyone has first hand experience with this diet? I know a few people that have tried it but all of them couldn't keep up with fasting.
Yes, just wrote in another thread that I lost 8 kgs in 10 months due to a mix of low carb diet and what for most people would be rather low intensity training, but it was daily.

No white sugar or alcohol, no fruit, low amount of starches, around 70 g per day, I think. At some point dairy stopped appealing to me.

I ate ridiculous amounts of greens, fish and shellfish. So many leaves.

What I did not do is eat a lot of fat, because of another medical reason. So I could not tell you what that is like. Salmon and tuna was part of the diet and I like an oil based salad dressing.

Fasting was not really a problem for me? Overall, I'm not sure if it was the low carb or low calorie part that helped with weight loss. But I have not regained any weight, I'm less hungry these days and less likely to turn to comfort food.

I should say that when I started, I wasn't overweight, so of course easier to lose weight then.

Not sure if this was helpful, but please feel free to ask details if you want.

Reactions: cogwheel
Just putting this out there but lots of racing information has gravel racers and road bike racers taking in what I have always considered enormous carb loads..recent things I have seen and read have male racers taking in up to 140 grams of carbs per hour.. I saw one racer shooting for 90g an hour I personally don't think I could do it if I tried.. It's as if bike racers are downing a bag of sugar while racing

Carbs are said to provide about 4 calories per gram. At hard-racing exertion level, burning 600+ calories per hour is likely. So in long duration events it would be necessary to 'fuel early' and 'fuel often' to keep up with the burn rate.
In race conditions it would be unlikely to be able to 'burn fat' fast enough to provide the needed calories for muscle use.

edit: 10/24/2023 the process of 'burning fat' for energy typically requires lots of oxygen, and it takes a while to extract energy by burning fat, so not a lot of calories can be obtained per minute. When actually exercising, the body tries to get energy from the sources that can supply it quickly (and that is not primarily from fat).
If exercising for 'fat loss', the intensity level needs to be low to accommodate the slow process of burning fat - if exercise is done at too high an exertion level, fatigue happens - and that is fine for weight loss IF ingestion of more calories is delayed for several hours of relaxation to allow fat burning to happen.
A problem is that it is very appealing to consume lots of calories after exercise as a 'reward' for the effort, or because long duration relaxation is not possible. Being 'tired and wasted' is fine for fat burning - as long as more work / exercise / even serious thinking is NOT need during that time period.

Last edited:
Carbs are said to provide about 4 calories per gram. At hard-racing exertion level, burning 600+ calories per hour is likely. So in long duration events it would be necessary to 'fuel early' and 'fuel often' to keep up with the burn rate.
In race conditions it would be unlikely to be able to 'burn fat' fast enough to provide the needed calories for muscle use.
I was under the impression that sugar is 9 calories per gram

TRENDING THREADS