• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Majka

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
marychain said:
I thought his first stage win was rancid. He was in the early break, out all day, attacked for points on every Cat 1 finish, bridged from one group to another and still had the power to hold off a fast-approaching GC group on an HC climb. Not only that but he barely looked out of breath, and could even wink at the camera. He looked like a man to me who had absolutely no doubt at all that he was going to win the stage, even from the penultimate summit when he seemed to ease off and let Purito take the mountain points, like he knew he was getting the points at the end.

Then when he attacked the GC group and followed Nibali up the Hautacam I actually started laughing. I reckon Riis was in the ear-piece saying "Slow down Rafal, this is too obvious" or he would have caught Nibali.

I doubt he will get popped because these guys are too clever now, but his performances are blatantly not normal.

As an aside, I loved Rogers' face when Europcar tried to isolate him on Port de Bales. He just bridged over, twice, then led them all up the climb. Too funny...

He winked to the cameras during his 2nd stage win, and he looked like he was about to die when he crossed the line. His 2nd stage win was really funny though. :eek:

Haven't been able to post during the Tour since my computer battery died. But f*ck me. Majka is so obviously glowing. First a tough Giro and then comes back in even better form in the Tour! In Bjarne "fu*king disgrace" Riis team of all teams. Yeah, sure, he is an honest rider. :rolleyes:

Walkman said:
Haven't been able to post during the Tour since my computer battery died. But f*ck me. Majka is so obviously glowing. First a tough Giro and then comes back in even better form in the Tour! In Bjarne "fu*king disgrace" Riis team of all teams. Yeah, sure, he is an honest rider.

Your comment is way off base and out of context with the facts. The Giro ended on June 1 and the TDF started on July 5 giving Majka at least 33 days of recovery and rest. Kreuziger is pulled on June 28 and Majka understandably is concerned about his form.

A smart DS like Riis is going to say to Majka that his role is to haul AC up mountains so take it easy for the first 12 days of the Tour and find your form. Here are Majka's finishes from Stage 1 - 12 with a rest day thrown in.

1 - 168
2 - 162
3 - 193
4 - 186
5 - 176
6 - 129
7 - 169
8 - 51
9 - 120
10 - 104
Rest Day
11 - 25
12 - 131

These are not the results of a guy who "...comes back in even better form in the Tour."

Stage 12 and 13 are tailor made for Majka because of his climbing skills and Contador is gone. Stage 12 - 2. Stage 13 - 1.

Absolutely normal. No drugs, no dope, no glow, an honest rider and Riis is a genius.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
senatorrick said:
Of he doesn't win the giro next year I'll be very surprised

He said that the TDF suits him better and it would obviously also depend on who else is in the race. Nibali has said he might ride the Giro (and vuelta) next year, maybe some dangerous Colombians too.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
Wearing the yellow jersey usually gives you additional power.

especially when peaking all the year round, marginal SkyBorg style - now, in the Oleg's prepaid year (only to be ruined by marginal loss of one-handed Dirtie's descent)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
He has had extraordinary performances this year, most of them very close to one another and on very, very hard stages. This has been the most impressive breakout that I can remember in recent history...

But he has long been considered an extraordinary talent, so in a way it was not a surprise. But the magnitude of it all certainly struck me. In that sense I must admit his performances "raised an eyebrow" with me. But as with any rider, I hope he is riding clean.

Though I must say I did not like the way he rode in the Tour, maybe it was just a fluke, but he seemed very egotistical and with that style he will not make many friends in the peloton

tinkof-saxo team super juiced this entire season. the difference with last year is stupendous -- coinciding with tinkov taking over and no doubt adding that all important "motivation".

fact: tinkov encourages doping on his teams.
fact: tinkov goes to court to defend blood dopers.
fact: tinkov consistently hires unrepentant dopers.

fact: riis doped to get all the results that made him famous.
fact: riis is being investigated for systematic doping of his teams.
fact: many of the riders have tested positive or have been connected to doping, doping teams and doping doctors.

conclusion: the entire tinkov-saxo organization is terrible for cycling and should be thrown out of the sport.

Big Doopie said:
tinkof-saxo team super juiced this entire season. the difference with last year is stupendous -- coinciding with tinkov taking over and no doubt adding that all important "motivation".

fact: many of the riders have tested positive or have been connected to doping, doping teams and doping doctors.

conclusion: the entire tinkov-saxo organization is terrible for cycling and should be thrown out of the sport.

Spot on! I agree 100 percent.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
He should do La Vuelta, he could win it.

And with his "natural progression" and "great recovery" next year the Giro-Tour, he will walk them.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Amazing recovery

I am baffled that Majka won the Polish race after TDF? he wasn't sitting at the back at the TDF, he won a couple. And now this? I am a fan but when I see recovery like this I think, "something does not add up". I will not rule out the Vuelta except his ITT is bad. He will probably contend and win a couple which is also baffling.

Big Doopie said:

Source for the first two?

jilbiker said:
I am baffled that Majka won the Polish race after TDF? he wasn't sitting at the back at the TDF, he won a couple. And now this? I am a fan but when I see recovery like this I think, "something does not add up". I will not rule out the Vuelta except his ITT is bad. He will probably contend and win a couple which is also baffling.

Not sure, strangely three of top four at Poland where also in top 4 last year, Riblon had a good back end of TDP last year and came close to winning

TRENDING THREADS