• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Male Cyclist of the year (2014)?

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Male Cyclist of the year (2014)?

• S. Gerrans (:o)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He had four World Tour wins - no other team got more than three. And he had two podiums (three if you include the Worlds).

What kind of bull**** is this? Contador alone has something like 7 World Tour wins. Tony Martin also had 7 wins (a lot of them itts of course). I think this is the most wrong "fact" I ever heard of.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Red Rick said:
You're not proving who's the best rider of the year, you're proving what's wrong with your points scale

I'm not saying it's perfect as obviously some races are worth more than others, but it was a less subjective way of me deciding what are the most important races on the calendar. it's also how you evaluate sprinters in the peloton.

If we take degenkolb and kristoff out, the order is:
1. contador
2. Simon
3. Valverde
4. kwiats
5. Nibali

I could argue that is the correct order.

First nibali ONLY got results in July. Therefore case for cyclist of the year is hard to impossible. So he is happily 5th
Simon gerrans won a monument, won a WT race start of the year and 2 WT races at the end of the year, so he has been consistent.
Valverde didn't win a monument, and his 2 WT wins I would argue that San seb is below gerrans wt wins in Canada with FW is on par. So I would put valverde below gerrans.
Kwiats besides the worlds every other race he won, valverde races were better. So I would put valverde above kwiats.
Now contador I would put above gerrans as both have a monument/gt but contadors other wins are better then gerrans.
So therefore:
1.contador
2. Gerrans
3. Valverde
4. Kwiats
5. Nibali

Is in my opinion a good order of how they rate this year. It is just how you rate sprinters, to put degenkolb and kristoff into that order.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Lol Gerrans is a chessmaster now. It takes brains to follow wheels all day every day regardless of the situation:confused:

It's tactically sound to lose a wc race you are favourite for because you don't know a single other tactic besides the most basic one?

To be fair to gerrans I think that's alittle harsh. It's easy in hindsight to say he should of taken a pull. But if he takes a pull and they catch kwiats and he loses the sprint everyone will say he panicked into taking a pull. He should of just sat back and let others do the work. Sometimes you have to gamble on the outcome. Gerrans gambled and was wrong. Not that he can complain, it works for him time and time again.

richo36 said:
I'm not saying it's perfect as obviously some races are worth more than others, but it was a less subjective way of me deciding what are the most important races on the calendar. it's also how you evaluate sprinters in the peloton.

1. contador
2. Simon
3. Valverde
4. kwiats
5. Nibali

First nibali ONLY got results in July. Therefore case for cyclist of the year is hard to impossible. So he is happily 5th
Simon gerrans won a monument, won a WT race start of the year and 2 WT races at the end of the year, so he has been consistent.
Valverde didn't win a monument, and his 2 WT wins I would argue that San seb is below gerrans wt wins in Canada with FW is on par. So I would put valverde below gerrans.
Kwiats besides the worlds every other race he won, valverde races were better. So I would put valverde above kwiats.
Now contador I would put above gerrans as both have a monument/gt but contadors other wins are better then gerrans.
So therefore:
1.contador
2. Gerrans
3. Valverde
4. Kwiats
5. Nibali

Is in my opinion a good order of how they rate this year. It is just how you rate sprinters, to put degenkolb and kristoff into that order.

Now this I could agree with

richo36 said:
I decided to make my own point system to see who I think should get the cyclist of the year. Pretty much point scale is:

GT win/monument/worlds: 5 points
World tour stage race or single day race/classification in gt or wt race:3 points
Stage win in GT or WT stage race: 2
Stage race or single day race non WT/stage win non WT:1

Results:
Simon: 20
tdu-3+3 +2
Lbl-5
Quebec-3
Montreal-3
Nat Road race: 1

Contador: 22
Volta algrave: 1
Tirreno adriatico: 3+2+2
Pais vasco: 3+2
Vuelta: 5+2+2

Valverde: 18
Andulicia: 1+1+1+1
Murcia: 1
Roma maxima: 1
Gp indurian: 1
FW: 3
Nat itt: 1
San Sebastián: 3
Vuelta: 2+2

Nibali: 14
Nat rr: 1
Tour: 5+2+2+2+2

Kristoff: 22

Kwiatowski: 17

Degenkolb: 23

So in order:
1. degenkolb
2. Contador
3. Kristoff ( lost to contador on a count back of removing 1 point races)
4. simon
5. Valverde
6. Kwiatowski
7. Nibali

So Degenkolb is male cyclist of the year, according to my point scale.

(I got lazy towards the end and couldn't be bothered typing all the races.)
You forgot to multiply the Tour results by 2. That'll give Lo Squalo a total of 27, thus giving him the male cyclist of the year. Note: TdF is the most important race in the calendar, the only one with double points according to the rules.

"Now this I could agree with" :D

richo36 said:

1. contador
2. Simon
3. Valverde
4. kwiats
5. Nibali

So therefore:
1.contador
2. Gerrans
3. Valverde
4. Kwiats
5. Nibali

In what bizarre world are the two Canadian races equal to or above Fleche Wallone and Classica San Sebastian? This ludicrous.

Angliru said:
In what bizarre world are the two Canadian races equal to or above Fleche Wallone and Classica San Sebastian? This ludicrous.

Red Rick said:
Obviously, Theo Bos winning 6 stages in Hainan against a bunch of amateurs is surely a bigger achievement than Contador's Tour win in 2010:eek:

:p

but overall the ranking is not so bad. I'd swap Gerrans and Valverde I guess but that is the only thing I disagree with.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
So, the conclusion is still Valverde is the cyclist of 2014?

A. Contador 109 45.99%
A. Valverde 41 17.30%

1414597615_extras_mosaico_noticia_1_g_0.jpg

nah

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
So, the conclusion is still Valverde is the cyclist of 2014?
Reading the posts, I would say most members support Nibali as cyclist of 2014. Valverde is just the guy who scored most WT points.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:

Can you remind me which monument valverde won this year?

Lbl + Canadian classics + tdu is better than FW + San seb + 2 veulta stages

Red Rick said:
Obviously, Theo Bos winning 6 stages in Hainan against a bunch of amateurs is surely a bigger achievement than Contador's Tour win in 2010:eek:

I said it's not perfect. And with the exception of degenkolb and kristoff it got the order right. Or do you disagree?

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
Yes I disagree :).

1. Contador
2. Valverde
3. Nibali
4. Kwiats
5. Gerrans

1. Nibali did nothing outside of July, don't understand how he can be above riders who achieved things throughout the year.
2. Besides worlds rr how is the rest of kwiats results better then gerrans?
3. Valverde was the most impressive and consistent rider but he didn't win enough big races to be 2nd ahead of gerrans and kwiats. Both won monuments(counting worlds RR), valverde didn't.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Red Rick said:
You're not proving who's the best rider of the year, you're proving what's wrong with your points scale

Cheer up Red Rick :)

You made me lol and smile with your above comment and I hardly ever do these days.

TRENDING THREADS