• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Male Cyclist of the year (2014)?

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Male Cyclist of the year (2014)?

• S. Gerrans (:o)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
How can it be wrong when it's an opinion :)

especially when our opinion is supported by the members of this forum and the international journalists :)

Right on both accounts, LaFlorecita. (well, I agree with you, anyway)

Opinions are like ********, we all have one; which is true when assigning points and numbers to races and performances during the season. Imo, I couldn't rate Gerrans, Degenkolb or Kristoff as high as richo36 does but richo36 makes me think more about it. I still think the point is that it is just impossible to shed the fact that rating systems are very subjective in pro cycling.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Red Rick said:
Opened the thread again to see dumb arguments.

I'm pretty disappointed now
What is so dumb about these arguments????

richo36 said:
1. Nibali did nothing outside of July, don't understand how he can be above riders who achieved things throughout the year.
2. Besides worlds rr how is the rest of kwiats results better then gerrans?
3. Valverde was the most impressive and consistent rider but he didn't win enough big races to be 2nd ahead of gerrans and kwiats. Both won monuments(counting worlds RR), valverde didn't.

I'll make it more clear for you.

do you rate the tour that highly that without winning any other races is better then winning multiple races?

Gerrans wins this season
TDU overall, TDU points classification, TDU stage, LBL, Quebec, Montreal, Nat champs RR
Kwiats wins this season
Trofeo Serra de tramontana, Volta algrave stage 2 and 3, Volta algrave overall, strade Bianche, tirreno adriatico stage 1(TTT), pais Vasco points classification, romandie prologue, Nat champs ITT, tour of Britain stage 3, worlds RR.

So kwiats has more wins (11-7) but gerrans has more at WT level. If you take lbl and worlds out, and compare the rest gerrans is better.
The 3 WT wins for kwiats are a TTT, a points classification, and a prologue. Compared to gerrans overall at tdu, point classification and stage, 2 Canadian classics.

Just because gerrans is a one trick pony doesn't mean he isn't up with cyclist of the year

pigoonse said:
Right on both accounts, LaFlorecita. (well, I agree with you, anyway)

Opinions are like ********, we all have one; which is true when assigning points and numbers to races and performances during the season. Imo, I couldn't rate Gerrans, Degenkolb or Kristoff as high as richo36 does but richo36 makes me think more about it. I still think the point is that it is just impossible to shed the fact that rating systems are very subjective in pro cycling.

As I have said point system wasn't perfect and didn't give me the order I was suspecting, but it was to have a less subjective approach. I wouldn't of had degenkolb that high but maybe I undervalue sprinters in the peloton.