• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mallorca Challenge 'one day' Races

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
from what i read on biciclismo they said gesink looked the weakest, he got dropped with tempo riding by henao and the moviduo on the main climb but got back on the descent. then there were a were a few attacks by henao and valverde on the last easier climb, that were marking each other and at one point it looked like gesink couldn't close the gap (13 secs) so costa bridged across by himself but then gesink eventually managed to get back, i just don't know if it was still on the climb or on the descent.

either way from what costa said on facebook he had to really push it hard today so the he certainly wasn't just cruising around playing with gesink.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Knowing Gesink, he probably pulled for the entire climb to be 'outclimbed' in the final k.

no he was dropping all the time when henao attacked. valverde could follow and costa could usually get back, but gesink was the weakest

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
no he was dropping all the time when henao attacked. valverde could follow and costa could usually get back, but gesink was the weakest

That was obvious, why else would he be dropping all the time, also after the Puig Major he was distanced with any accelleration. At least he showed that he has some climbing level again, today was actually better than all last season considering the guys he had to deal with on the climb. He only lost 10 seconds on the top of the climb, and he didn't lose anything on the downhill. The 2012 Gesink would have been caught by the peloton no doubt.

Pentacycle said:
That was obvious, why else would he be dropping all the time, also after the Puig Major he was distanced with any accelleration. At least he showed that he has some climbing level again, today was actually better than all last season considering the guys he had to deal with on the climb. He only lost 10 seconds on the top of the climb, and he didn't lose anything on the downhill. The 2012 Gesink would have been caught by the peloton no doubt.

agree, this is increasingly good news. Where is he going next?

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Chill guys it's only the beginning of February. We'll see if Gesink is good or not this Paris-Nice and Giro.

Well his being in the mix at the end of a race is at minimum a sign of life and at best shows he's getting back to where he was before his injuries. I'm optimistic for him. He's a likeable guy.:)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Yes, after leading for the first half or three quarters of the climb (is my guess). The young Gesink could drop riders like that, the current one can't.

that's your guess but it isn't true if you read the race description

Pentacycle said:
This is BS, last year he climbed more or less at Rui Costa's level as well. It doesn't say anything. We'll see in the bigger races if he has improved.

Ryo Hazuki said:
that's your guess but it isn't true if you read the race description
The twitter guy said Gesink and Henao were whittling down the group, or words to that effect.

lol @all the wild conclusions made on a spanish text report.

Let's just wait until Paris Nice where we can actually SEE how Gesink climbs.
The most funny part is that, the way guys like Parrulo are writing here, you'd think he was the worst climber of the entire peloton today. While he was doing pretty well for it being the first race of the year and considering the competition. Way better than guys like Nibali climbed in San Luis for instance. Cmon... give the guy a break for crying out loud :D

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
To be fair a group like that is always going to stir up some discussion. Henao and Costa are two of the most hyped riders on the forum, Valverde splits opinions and Gesink probably causes more arguments on this forum than Ryo.

Are all four doing Paris - Nice?

will10 said:
To be fair a group like that is always going to stir up some discussion. Henao and Costa are two of the most hyped riders on the forum, Valverde splits opinions and Gesink probably causes more arguments on this forum than Ryo.

Are all four doing Paris - Nice?
Valverde isn't. I think the others are.

PS: Bold statement. Very bold.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
lol @all the wild conclusions made on a spanish text report.

Let's just wait until Paris Nice where we can actually SEE how Gesink climbs.
The most funny part is that, the way guys like Parrulo are writing here, you'd think he was the worst climber of the entire peloton today. While he was doing pretty well for it being the first race of the year and considering the competition. Way better than guys like Nibali climbed in San Luis for instance. Cmon... give the guy a break for crying out loud :D

what? did you even read what i said? i simple said what the biciclismo feed said which was that he looked like the weakest of the front four, again in caps just for you FOUR .

but i guess your conclusions based on absolutely nothing are better then conclusions based on some "spanish text report" even tho it comes from a usually very reliable source.

TRENDING THREADS