• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Manga/Anime

I was pretty sure there was a thread about this but apparently not :eek:
So, anybody reading/watching them? What are your favourites? I stopped watching animes since years, but I still read lots of mangas and I'm up to date to pretty much all of the most popular Shonen out there. My favourite is hands down One Piece.
Please let's avoid spoilers of any kind for now :)

I was pretty obsessive with both anime and manga until my early 20s. Can't say I'm up to date though.

Favorite manga ever:
VideoGirlAi1.jpg

Kimagure Orange Road and Slam Dunk also up there.

Favorite anime probably Neon Genesis Evangelion.

SafeBet said:
I was pretty obsessive with both anime and manga until my early 20s. Can't say I'm up to date though.

Favorite manga ever:
VideoGirlAi1.jpg

Kimagure Orange Road and Slam Dunk also up there.

Favorite anime probably Neon Genesis Evangelion.
don't know that manga. Of the ones you mentioned I only read a bit of Slam Dunk. In general my knowledge of non-contemporary mangas is very limited :D
And yes, NGE was cool :)

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Huge Hellsing and Berserk fan, Death Note is another great Manga. If we talk about todays Shonen, i think One Piece is by far the best.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Mayomaniac said:
Huge Hellsing and Berserk fan, Death Note is another great Manga. If we talk about todays Shonen, i think One Piece is by far the best.

I love Berserk, but I'm torn on the remake. The idea of them animating the entire (still incomplete) manga series is tempting as long as they keep the spirit of the manga and the original anime series.

As for anime in general, it is one of my favorite hobbies. I believe I've watched about 4325 episodes or so(272 series & movies), but it would be much higher if I wasn't picky. Some of my all time favorites include Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Monogatari Series, Berserk, Casshern Sins, Clannad, Code Geass, Death Note, Ergo Proxy, Shinsekai Yori, both Fullmetal Alchemists, Gantz, Kaiba, Katanagatari, Monster, Nana, Nodame Cantabile, Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2, Tegami Bachi, Tenchi Muyo, Texhnolyze, The Garden of Sinners. Please don't ask me to pick an absolute favorite or top5 or top10, too difficult :).

I actually considered making a post about this before, but had some doubts there would be much, if any interest. I tend to not watch anything out of Hollywood because I am usually disappointed with the over-saturation of comedy in everything. I find that the Japanese mangakas and anime producers do a better job of giving other genres and themes more exposure. At the same time I'm quite bored of the harems, romantic comedies and school focused animes produced (but that's the major target audience I suppose). The current season is in the middle of wrapping up and the next one is starting some hopefully there is some decent shows to watch soon.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if I bumb an old thread, but I recently watched Psycho Pass (Sci-Fi, Action, Mystery Story) and Another (Horror), two fantastic Animes that anyone who likes those genres should watch.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Sorry if I bumb an old thread, but I recently watched Psycho Pass (Sci-Fi, Action, Mystery Story) and Another (Horror), two fantastic Animes that anyone who likes those genres should watch.

Psycho Pass was awesome. The first season was enjoyable to watch and the second season was maybe a little bit less so but still good. Actually just reminded me there's a movie that I never saw, might have to look into that...

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Not really a reader of manga, or a viewer of anime, but only because I don't even know where to begin. I did visit the Tokyo International Manga Library on a recent visit to Japan, which was super cool. It was like a combination museum of manga and huge multi-floor library of manga. The place was packed with people of all ages. They had manga going all the way back to the 19th century, or maybe earlier.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Maxiton said:
Not really a reader of manga, or a viewer of anime, but only because I don't even know where to begin. I did visit the Tokyo International Manga Library on a recent visit to Japan, which was super cool. It was like a combination museum of manga and huge multi-floor library of manga. The place was packed with people of all ages. They had manga going all the way back to the 19th century, or maybe earlier.

I bet they have the entirety of Berserk there... A must visit some day.

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
One Piece
1933793_1689965967946974_5054370938121690764_n.jpg

Gintama
995385_1689965961280308_4090680593396846170_n.jpg

World Trigger
1914988_1689965964613641_4942721584054130614_n.jpg

I am watching these three as they are all updating. sick of waiting and only one piece for a whole week. These three are my favorite three. Of course, I have watched Nanuto, Fairy Tail and other. But these three are really fabulous one with exciting plots.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I recently rewatched The End of Evangelion, that movie gets me every single time.
eoe+poster.jpg

Watching that film after watching the whole original Neon Genesis Evangelion series (yes, the series has it's flaws, but it's still a classic) is just something very special.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
I recently rewatched The End of Evangelion, that movie gets me every single time.

Watching that film after watching the whole original Neon Genesis Evangelion series (yes, the series has it's flaws, but it's still a classic) is just something very special.
Completely agree...

Have you watched the remake? I'm waiting for the final part(s) before I watch it. I've read the last part(s) are taking so long to come out due to the public pressure on the creator similar to when he made the original.

Brullnux, it does. Studio Ghibli is basically the king of anime and if you enjoyed Grave of the Fireflies you may enjoy many of their other works. My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away are probably the three most famous of the twenty or so they've created.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Sciocco said:
Mayomaniac said:

Completely agree...

Have you watched the remake? I'm waiting for the final part(s) before I watch it. I've read the last part(s) are taking so long to come out due to the public pressure on the creator similar to when he made the original.

Brullnux, it does. Studio Ghibli is basically the king of anime and if you enjoyed Grave of the Fireflies you may enjoy many of their other works. My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away are probably the three most famous of the twenty or so they've created.
No, I haven't watched them, I'm also waiting for the final part. The creator is currently also worrking on the new japanese Godzilla film that will be released at the end of July, that's one of the main reasons for the delay.