• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 170 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You only told me that I had to go further back after I'd already explained how I initially read that post... I read it the same way I would have read it from any poster, in any rider thread.
Are you expecting people to scroll several posts back every time they reply to a post, just in case there might be some hidden context?
No, but I expect you to read what multiple people told you and not ignore it . And when I informed you that you’re missing the context, you still chose to ignore it and say they’re just genuinely curious. And then I provide a quote for you and you’re tripling down on it.

That’s okay to think that at first, but when you’re continually ignoring others correcting you it is as if your account got hacked by a certain Roglic fan.

But we are in agreement, Cavendish will retire this year to the delight of @Netserk though maybe not as soon as they would hope in order to return to the Shire. Hopefully with all of his fingers.

No, but I expect you to read what multiple people told you and not ignore it . And when I informed you that you’re missing the context, you still chose to ignore it and say they’re just genuinely curious.

I'm saying that at the time, I thought they were just genuinely curious...
Would I read that question differently now? Probably, but that doesn't change how I initially read it.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Again, that's the part I'm pretty sure has been implicitly stated.
He was supposed to retire at the end of last year, but then he broke his collarbone, and decided to extend his career...
I'm sorry I don't keep a detailed list about which poster thinks which rider sucks...
He is on his third, maybe fourth, 'last season' so we really don't know.

I have a terrible memory, but this particular love affair has been so obvious that even I can't forget it.

The list of _________________ haters is so long that I'll never be able to keep track, but this one...

The list of _________________ haters is so long that I'll never be able to keep track, but this one...
And why do you think Cav in particular has so many haters?

Especially at his peak, he was an absolute scumbag.
You are admitting to blatantly breaking forum rules? Shaking head...
What exactly is it that you think I "admit" by telling RHD that I like to tease her?

Why does he have more haters than Pogi does?
The way he acted when he was younger, crashes that were or weren’t his fault, being a sprinter, on a dominant sprint train, his interviews were it’s like a WWE promo, being talked about all the time even on the down years from 2017-2020, and for some at the time even his wife being attractive. Plus add whatever else one can think of.

Reactions: jmdirt
He is on his third, maybe fourth, 'last season' so we really don't know.

The only time he, officially, went out and declared his intention to retire was last year. Sure, before that, there had been several instances of people declaring "Cavendish is finished!", and there was that infamous interview before one of the fall-spring classics in 2020, but I think that was because he was just not in a good place mentally at the time...

T******* is against forum rules (oddly, we aren't even allowed to call it out by using the word).

Of course teasing is allowed... it's straight up harrasing other users that we're not allowed to.

The only time he, officially, went out and declared his intention to retire was last year. Sure, before that, there had been several instances of people declaring "Cavendish is finished!", and there was that infamous interview before one of the fall-spring classics in 2020, but I think that was because he was just not in a good place mentally at the time...

Of course teasing is allowed... it's straight up harrasing other users that we're not allowed to.
He discussed retiring after DD melted down, and after Pat didn't give him an extension. This is his 3rd/4th 'last' season.

T******* isn't teasing.

And why do you think Cav in particular has so many haters?

Especially at his peak, he was an absolute scumbag.

What exactly is it that you think I "admit" by telling RHD that I like to tease her?
The old saying you can turn a lion into a pussy cat but it's impossible to turn a pussy cat into a lion. Much of the press in his early career portrayed Cavendish as the I can't be beat, my doesn't stink, look at me, and he never let up on the machismo. He certainly has the last few years but you can't shake a reputation sometimes. To be a Cavendish hater is silly, guy won a professional bike race this year, and his resume doesn't have any droughts that I am aware of, he may not win as often but he wins. He is still a capable track racer and he doesn't destroy people like his past, he is still there, nobody's door mat. My issues with Cav are 2, he gets too much press from English outlets, probably something Froome is familiar with.. leave me alone. And I think Cavendish stayed too long at the party, if he squeezes one out, I will be the first internet keyboard stooge to say sorry, congratulations and I was wrong..

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93

The Tour mountains are going to be hard to keep within the time limit if Jumbo and UAE ride like last year. He might want to start trying breakaways to get ahead and have more of a buffer.
One of the random stages where the time limit wasn't a complete joke.

I don't know how badly he missed it.