• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
IndianCyclist said:
Ridng the complete TDF would ruin Cav's Chances for Olympics. Quitting before the mountains though leaves him with a realistic chance of medaling. Beating Kittel & Greipel in TDF though is going to be an uphill task.

He very well may come away with nothing big this year.
If he doesn't podium in the track worlds, he won't get a spot on the Olympics team.

dont worry

he will podium

blackcat said:
Jspear said:
IndianCyclist said:
Ridng the complete TDF would ruin Cav's Chances for Olympics. Quitting before the mountains though leaves him with a realistic chance of medaling. Beating Kittel & Greipel in TDF though is going to be an uphill task.

If he doesn't podium in the track worlds, he won't get a spot on the Olympics team.

dont worry

he will podium

I hope so, I think it's going to be tough for him. He's definitely lost even more of his edge this year.

blackcat said:
Jspear said:
IndianCyclist said:

dont worry

he will podium

Well, he didn't. He did hold Viviani off in the final sprint though.

TMP402 said:
blackcat said:
Jspear said:
IndianCyclist said:

dont worry

he will podium

Well, he didn't. He did hold Viviani off in the final sprint though.

Yep, though they aren't saying for certain yet that he won't get a spot for the Olympics.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

blackcat said:
Jspear said:
IndianCyclist said:

dont worry

he will podium

Really? That's very definitive. What gives you that much confidence in Cav''s ability?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a great fan of Cav but I'm not sure that even I would be that confident

Farcanal said:
blackcat said:
Jspear said:
IndianCyclist said:

dont worry

he will podium

Really? That's very definitive. What gives you that much confidence in Cav''s ability?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a great fan of Cav but I'm not sure that even I would be that confident

Go back several pages and he read his posts. :)

article-1342518603687-14050c5b000005dc-705854_466x310.jpg

Madison slingshot

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

vedrafjord said:
Sutton saying Cavendish has to leave the Tour early or he's not on the Olympic track team.
IMO Cav should forget about the Tour, ride the whole Giro instead and focus on the Olympics and the WC RR as his main goals.
That would also mean that DD could fully back EBH at the Tour and EBH is one of the only guys who could challenge Sagan for Green and we could finally have a decent fight for the jersey, imagine both guys going into breakaways trying to score more points than the other.

Mayomaniac said:
vedrafjord said:
Sutton saying Cavendish has to leave the Tour early or he's not on the Olympic track team.
IMO Cav should forget about the Tour, ride the whole Giro instead and focus on the Olympics and the WC RR as his main goals.
That would also mean that DD could fully back EBH at the Tour and EBH is one of the only guys who could challenge Sagan for Green and we could finally have a decent fight for the jersey, imagine both guys going into breakaways trying to score more points than the other.
With the scoring changes I'm not ruling kittel out if he goes for inters.

Re:

carolina said:
Of course, but it's almost an impossible choice.

After watching the track worlds, I think the chances of him getting a gold medal are almost the same as winning at the champs elysees.

He should have given up on the gold medal hunt a while ago I think, it certainly seems to have affected his road riding (although only he can know that for sure). He's not going to win the omnium, the competition is too good and he'll be a marked man. The only way he's getting one is if he's the fifth member of the pursuit team and takes part in a round or the final (they give a medal to everyone who rides I think?). At the moment, it's hard to pick him over Dibben or Clancy...

carolina said:
vedrafjord said:

that's a bit harsh, especially when the most important sprint of the year is on the last day of the tour.

Only if green jersey is secured before that. If not then it's kinda leftovers. :cool: When green, daily mediacoverage w/ before and after stage seremonies and aftersales potentials after Tour aso..

King Boonen said:
carolina said:

After watching the track worlds, I think the chances of him getting a gold medal are almost the same as winning at the champs elysees.

He should have given up on the gold medal hunt a while ago I think, it certainly seems to have affected his road riding (although only he can know that for sure). He's not going to win the omnium, the competition is too good and he'll be a marked man. The only way he's getting one is if he's the fifth member of the pursuit team and takes part in a round or the final (they give a medal to everyone who rides I think?). At the moment, it's hard to pick him over Dibben or Clancy...

But if Dibben does the omnium as everyone now wants him to, that opens the door for Cavendish.

TMP402 said:
King Boonen said:
carolina said:

But if Dibben does the omnium as everyone now wants him to, that opens the door for Cavendish.

I didn't think so? I thought whoever was doing the omnium had to be the 5th man on the TP squad and that's what all the chat was about?

King Boonen said:
TMP402 said:
King Boonen said:
carolina said:

I didn't think so? I thought whoever was doing the omnium had to be the 5th man on the TP squad and that's what all the chat was about?

Well they made it clear from the beginning that he wouldn't be in the team pursuit team (even though in his opinion this is his best discipline) but allowed him to do his thing in the omnium. Which doesn't compute with what you're saying. I'm not saying you're definitely wrong, but it doesn't add up with what is publicly said. In any case, the "fifth man" position is really anyone's guess. Burke, Wiggins, Clancy, Doull, Dibben, Tennant, even young Matthew Gibson have all won team pursuit medals for GB in the last year. Burke and Wiggins seem to be the most certain picks, but Sutton would still say they're not guaranteed anything.

TMP402 said:
King Boonen said:
TMP402 said:
King Boonen said:
carolina said:

Well they made it clear from the beginning that he wouldn't be in the team pursuit team (even though in his opinion this is his best discipline) but allowed him to do his thing in the omnium. Which doesn't compute with what you're saying. I'm not saying you're definitely wrong, but it doesn't add up with what is publicly said. In any case, the "fifth man" position is really anyone's guess. Burke, Wiggins, Clancy, Doull, Dibben, Tennant, even young Matthew Gibson have all won team pursuit medals for GB in the last year. Burke and Wiggins seem to be the most certain picks, but Sutton would still say they're not guaranteed anything.

I've looked it up. Each national olympic committee is allowed to pick a maximum of 8 riders. This would usually be split into 5 endurance riders (the TP squad in this discussion) and 3 sprint riders. The way the British team are talking seems to imply that they will pick the best 5 athletes to bring a medal, so that would either be the 4 best TP riders and a nailed on medal omnium rider or the 4 best TP riders and one who could do well in the omnium but can sub in and not ruin the TP chances.

So if Dibben is selected for the omnium Cav is pretty much out of it. I can't see him being selected above Wiggins, Doull, Burke, Tennant or even Clancy after his performance. I think he needed to prove he was a serious medal contender in the omnium which means a medal in the omnium at the World Champs.

TRENDING THREADS