• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
He has shown in the past that he can handle being on his own so I think it is ludicrous to say he has never had WT level endurance. Now at this present point I would agree based off his extreme lack of racing miles, sickness, and injuries he most likely can not go in a breakaway and that is saying something coming from me.

He should go those breakaways, like hilarious TdF 2013 stage 13 :cool:

https://youtu.be/ujDfKfB7q8E

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
SKSemtex said:
I have corrected that for you. :)

If your going to edit the quote and ‘correct’ someone’s post, which as mods we don’t really like posters doing anyway, then at least make it factual. The Hog was right the first time, as the officials ruled last year.

I don't like being one of those whiny Sagan fans (not saying Semtex is one of those either, btw) but this is ridiculously subjective, especially coming from a mod.

If you had spent some time last year scrutinising frame-by-frame analyses of the crash, you would know that it was Cavendish who hit Sagan, and not him smashing anybody into any barriers.

And even if you didn't do that, you know that the UCI apologised to Sagan later.

tobydawq said:
Pricey_sky said:
SKSemtex said:
I have corrected that for you. :)

If your going to edit the quote and ‘correct’ someone’s post, which as mods we don’t really like posters doing anyway, then at least make it factual. The Hog was right the first time, as the officials ruled last year.

I don't like being one of those whiny Sagan fans (not saying Semtex is one of those either, btw) but this is ridiculously subjective, especially coming from a mod.

If you had spent some time last year scrutinising frame-by-frame analyses of the crash, you would know that it was Cavendish who hit Sagan, and not him smashing anybody into any barriers.

And even if you didn't do that, you know that the UCI apologised to Sagan later.

It’s subjective eiether way, my original point was not to ‘correct’ someone’s post in a quote, it’s given us problems in the past, so we’d prefer not to do it.

Yes the UCI apologised to Sagan afterwards in the hearing in December, but they also said the officials did the best job they could in the circumstances.

Cav wouldn’t have crashed into the barriers had Sagan not gone across him, but as the UCI said it was ‘an unfortunate and unintentional racing incident’.

FWIW I also don’t believe Sagan should have been DQ’d and it was very harsh, so there is certainly no hard feeling towards Sagan on my part.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, Cav is definitely over the hill. I have never liked him as an individual or as a rider, so I definitely won't miss him in the peloton.

I agree that his best days are beyond him, and that his public persona can be more than a little grating (although I chalk it up to competitiveness).

But...and your are certainly entitled to your opinions..."Never liked him as a rider" is pretty harsh -- he's one of the top 5, maybe top 3 sprinters in cycling history. He absolutely dominated from about (can't be bothered to be exact here) 2008 to 2012 or so, and was still a threat until last year. And he isn't completely one-dimensional -- with some different training he could have been a consistent classics threat.

In fact, I wonder -- I'm not convinced he loves bike racing enough to do this, but maybe he might want to step away from being a pure sprinter and try to focus on the classics and one day races, even if he has to sign with a pro continenal team

tobydawq said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Can Cav ride cobbles?

I see him trying his luck in breaks, on the classics type stages, in realisation he doesn't have the sprint speed anymore.

Yes, he can on some level. He was 30th in Paris-Roubaix two years ago.

But it's a tough ask and I don't see him succeed in the Tour outside the sprints (so his Tour days may be over).

It wouldn't surprise me if this leads to the end of his career after this season.

Also my assessment -- could go either way: retirement or trying to refashion himself as a classics rider. He's also won a few mid-level spring races.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
His engine has blown...big time

We don't know just yet. If someone gets over the finish line in peloton at the TdF, some days just within time cut, some days again in peloton, day after day..that sounds world top class athlete to me. If you can point wc.stripes from his jersey sleeve, even better. Still after all these years round 40 pro wins more than, say Sagan (no hard feelings for Sagan at all) :cool:

No one seriously expected Cav to be competitive in this first week did they? With crashes and so much missed racing this year he needs the tour to ride himself into any kind of form. If he gets round he might have a chance at the Champs stage but other than that I’ll be surprised if he gets higher than a top 5.

That said, I don’t think he’s spent and should ride at least another season if he can stay fit and upright.

Re:

King Boonen said:
No one seriously expected Cav to be competitive in this first week did they? With crashes and so much missed racing this year he needs the tour to ride himself into any kind of form. If he gets round he might have a chance at the Champs stage but other than that I’ll be surprised if he gets higher than a top 5.

That said, I don’t think he’s spent and should ride at least another season if he can stay fit and upright.

I mean I have all kinds of faith in him and got pretty excited when he was still there and started his sprint. It is true that he is severely lacking any racing shape what so ever.

At least he didn't crash today when he started wobbling.

Jspear said:
oldcrank said:
It would be great to see him win a stage or stages
but it is also important that Cav stays healthy and
injury free so he can qualify for the 2020 Madison.
An Olympic Gold would look nice on his mantel. :)

I don't know much about the track competition, but surely there's plenty of riders much stronger than him right?
No I don't believe there are plenty of riders much stronger than Cav.
His results last October in the London Six with Kennaugh showed he
can compete with the best like Meyer+Scotson, De Ketele+De Pauw,
etc etc. Of course there is never a sure thing in a Madison race, but
I believe Mark still has the qualities to compete for the Olympic Gold.
But there are still two years until the Olympics and a lot can change.

Re:

King Boonen said:

Good post. I agree with all of this.

I hope he does beat Merck's record in the tour as well as get 7 stages in the Vuelta to be the first rider with double digit wins in all the grand tours to go with the thread Iade years ago.

Until he retires I won't lose faith in him and hope he wins the races he enters that he can.

SHAD0W93 said:
King Boonen said:

I mean I have all kinds of faith in him and got pretty excited when he was still there and started his sprint. It is true that he is severely lacking any racing shape what so ever.

He’s almost always fairly poor in the early sprints and gets stronger. With no real racing in his legs he’s going to struggle and probably needs a messy sprint to get a win. He’s one of the few current sprinters who can find his own way through the wheels. He’s also been written off in the past and come back and hammered everyone. Anyone writing him off already either has an agenda or doesn’t understand sprinting. Yes, in a flat drag race with well functioning trains he’s going to struggle against the younger guys unless he gets his form back. However, in a scrappy finish he’s always in with a shot, it’s not always the fastest guy that wins.

SHAD0W93 said:
King Boonen said:

He’s almost always fairly poor in the early sprints and gets stronger. With no real racing in his legs he’s going to struggle and probably needs a messy sprint to get a win. He’s one of the few current sprinters who can find his own way through the wheels. He’s also been written off in the past and come back and hammered everyone. Anyone writing him off already either has an agenda or doesn’t understand sprinting. Yes, in a flat drag race with well functioning trains he’s going to struggle against the younger guys unless he gets his form back. However, in a scrappy finish he’s always in with a shot, it’s not always the fastest guy that wins.