• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 96 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
Tim Booth said:
El Pistolero said:
What insane sponsor wants to pay millions of GBP for someone who only won two races in the last two years?
Bahrain Merida

Got a link, or is it just a rumour you're putting out there?

La Gazzetta are reporting it, there is also a report that says DD have made an offer if he agrees to reduce his salary by 40%.

Won't Dimension Data drop down to Pro Conti for next year with UCI's annual challenge system? Probably better for Cavendish to be paid 40% less in a World Tour squad than renew at 40% less and be in a Pro Continental team next year and second year of contract he has no guarantee of entrance into World Tour races as that kicks in for 2020 season.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
MatParker117 said:
wheresmybrakes said:
Could he not sell plenty of bikes for them, a bit like Contador did at Trek? :)

Exactly why Merida want a big name be rider and if he can get healthy then he'll get a bunch of wins.

He will not get a bunch of wins next year even if healthy.

He will be 34 next year and there are other much faster sprinters around these days.

So a smaller team that needs a big name is a better option for him IMO.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site

Pricey_sky said:
RedheadDane said:
Tim Booth said:
El Pistolero said:
What insane sponsor wants to pay millions of GBP for someone who only won two races in the last two years?
Bahrain Merida

La Gazzetta are reporting it, there is also a report that says DD have made an offer if he agrees to reduce his salary by 40%.
Mark Cavendish now seems to have opted to stay with Dimension Data, after he was previously associated with Bahrain Merida. According to the Italian sports newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport, the Briton reached an agreement with the South African formation for the 2019 season, although it has not yet been officially confirmed.

Tim Booth said:
Pricey_sky said:
RedheadDane said:
Tim Booth said:
El Pistolero said:
Bahrain Merida

Mark Cavendish now seems to have opted to stay with Dimension Data, after he was previously associated with Bahrain Merida. According to the Italian sports newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport, the Briton reached an agreement with the South African formation for the 2019 season, although it has not yet been officially confirmed.
I don't know what his salary was.

But I think 40% isn't even that much of a pay cut for the situation Cav is in.

I hope he can come back and have a season or 2 without major injuries.

I wonder if he even needs the money any more. He has seemed to be smart with it plus Peta had her money as well.

I hope he can have a good winter with no sickness or crashes next year. Get the 5 stages in the Tour, 7 in the Vuelta, and maybe another 5 in the Giro.

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

jarvo said:
Yesterday his Insta Story said that his latest blood work had shown a reduction in the EBV levels in his blood and had been cleared to get back on his bike, so that is a positive step forward in recovery

I'm not sure.

After the acute period of mono ends, there's a period of recovery, and then, you start to feel OK. Like, normal life OK. That's what happened to him before, so he got back to business, riding his bike and living his life as usual.

But EBV has a nasty habit of striking back when you least expect it. When you feel OK and you're glad that it has passed, and you take a deep breath that you got through it, it's time to enjoy the aftereffects. Fatigue, aneamia, deficiency symptoms... Take your pick, the list is practically endless.

I think that's what happened to him this year - he recovered, started going about his business the same way as before EBV, felt good, but bad stuff was still going on in his body. He pushed too hard, EBV came back, and now, he's back to the start.

I hope he doesn't start to train now. Going for a ride with his kids should be OK, but he needs a long period of rest now, and when he starts to feel healthy again, he will still need a lot of rest, and a good plan for the next season. I think winning races is still a possibility for him, but he'll need to be smart about it and not just go whenever he feels strong. He needs a light racing schedule, with smaller races, and I'm not sure that he should ever finish another Grand Tour, however tempting.

Narce_ said:
jarvo said:
Yesterday his Insta Story said that his latest blood work had shown a reduction in the EBV levels in his blood and had been cleared to get back on his bike, so that is a positive step forward in recovery

I'm not sure.

After the acute period of mono ends, there's a period of recovery, and then, you start to feel OK. Like, normal life OK. That's what happened to him before, so he got back to business, riding his bike and living his life as usual.

But EBV has a nasty habit of striking back when you least expect it. When you feel OK and you're glad that it has passed, and you take a deep breath that you got through it, it's time to enjoy the aftereffects. Fatigue, aneamia, deficiency symptoms... Take your pick, the list is practically endless.

I think that's what happened to him this year - he recovered, started going about his business the same way as before EBV, felt good, but bad stuff was still going on in his body. He pushed too hard, EBV came back, and now, he's back to the start.

I hope he doesn't start to train now. Going for a ride with his kids should be OK, but he needs a long period of rest now, and when he starts to feel healthy again, he will still need a lot of rest, and a good plan for the next season. I think winning races is still a possibility for him, but he'll need to be smart about it and not just go whenever he feels strong. He needs a light racing schedule, with smaller races, and I'm not sure that he should ever finish another Grand Tour, however tempting.

The point I was making was that doctors have cleared him to get onhis bike, when or if he ever returns to the pro peloton is secondary at the moment to making a full recovery, and the doctors clearing him to get on his bike IS a positive step in that recovery

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

jarvo said:
The point I was making was that doctors have cleared him to get onhis bike, when or if he ever returns to the pro peloton is secondary at the moment to making a full recovery, and the doctors clearing him to get on his bike IS a positive step in that recovery

Yes, it's nice to hear that he's getting better. But he suffered from this illness before, and has been cleared to race, and EBV came back, which, to me, suggests that his recovery wasn't monitored with the necessary attention. I'm not blaming anyone for it, since I wrote that the aftereffects can vary greatly in different people, but they should be a lot more careful this time.

So while it is a positive step, it has to be the FIRST step, not the last. It's the start of his recovery, not the whole recovery. I agree that his full recovery is the most important now, but I'm concerned, because the last time, it was rushed/mismanaged, and I wonder if it isn't too early now.

Tim Booth said:
still sounds confident
“It seems that I’ve always made a career out of comebacks and I’m sure that 2019 is going to be no different after the couple of tough years with illness. I know that I’m on the right track to come back and dominate in the sport again.”
http://africasteam.com/2018/10/24/cavendish-steps-up-for-team-dimension-data/
he's delusional. No more world-class train, obvious decline, no longer the best, or even top-5, maybe not top-10 in this sprinters World, the only 34 he'll reach will be on his birthday. Small races? Yes. A lucly GT stage win? Maybe. If Nacer got one, he can...but that was not at Le Tour. It's the end of the road, what a career tho'.

TRENDING THREADS