• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 111 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As usual no flies on lefevere and no loose strings on his purse. Cavendish is being paid by a sponsor
Honestly, i don't think this is such a weird thing. From a sportive perspective, you have no guarantees Cav will be of any use in a race. Not only might he not be worth having on the payroll, but he's also taking spots of guys who would fight to be on the team. Emotionally, i get it, but you don't run a team on emotions. It happens in football all the time by the way, especially with older players who's wages don't fit their value anymore, but who are loved by the fans or help build prestige for a smaller club.

Reactions: jmdirt
Honestly, i don't think this is such a weird thing. From a sportive perspective, you have no guarantees Cav will be of any use in a race. Not only might he not be worth having on the payroll, but he's also taking spots of guys who would fight to be on the team. Emotionally, i get it, but you don't run a team on emotions. It happens in football all the time by the way, especially with older players who's wages don't fit their value anymore, but who are loved by the fans or help build prestige for a smaller club.

Movistar have been doing it with Valverde for the past couple of years. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Andy262
Things I have learned on this forum!
There are a lot of people who do not have the capacity to understand the talent of the man, that spout an awful lot of male cow poo!
Surely you have the capacity to understand the concept of age, and the impact it has on a professional athlete of the highest order. Him being one of the most talented sprinters of past decades, does not take away from the fact that he hasn't been the finisher he once was and that time waits for no man. He'll turn 36 early next season and has to face a new generation. I hope he can shine a few times, but realistically there is a very good chance that he won't.

Mmmmm... no. Valverde was still third best rider in 2019 acording PCS, wearing rainbow by the way. Cavendish has not performed since 2016. Dont compare please.
Cavendish got the spot at DQS because he cried embarrisingly like a little girl.

I agree, Valverde earned his spot, but
it's not just little girls who cry. Little boys cry, too. And there's no reason to be embarrassed about showing sadness and emotion.
"Take it like a man" is a bit old-fashioned, isn't it?

Surely you have the capacity to understand the concept of age, and the impact it has on a professional athlete of the highest order. Him being one of the most talented sprinters of past decades, does not take away from the fact that he hasn't been the finisher he once was and that time waits for no man. He'll turn 36 early next season and has to face a new generation. I hope he can shine a few times, but realistically there is a very good chance that he won't.

Actualy I completely agree with you, the difference is you appear to have the intellect to use reason to make a case for the downside to hiring Mark, as Patrick Lefevere and DQS have the sense to realise how much publicity he brings with his money!

I think its good news and I must say quite unexpected. I like to see Cav in the domestique role and I think he does it well. He has had a couple of decent rides in the classics so would be cool to see him up there working for the team in those and possibly in some breakaways. As Holm says he can also double up as a lead out man if needed.

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS