• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 118 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not bad batch of sprinters to beat.

fLKfAXk.png

I mean guy is set for life (financially), last year he was considering or almost retired, already had his farewell and so on. And now he has opportunity to ride TDF and fight for stage wins with team like no other. And he wants more money to ride it? Yea love for cycling.

I would expect big NO from Lefevere.

To my ear, it sounds like PL thinks that Cav's requests are entirely reasonable; that a rider of his stature going to the Tour as the primary sprinter, with all of the pressure that incurs, really deserves to be paid more than Cav is currently drawing from QS.

From what i gather, he's on a really low salary (minimum wage + bonuses for the wins?!), so giving him the most important race of the season with the most pressure (for a sprinter) is unfair.

Loving the sport or not, it's reasonable for him to want to be payed fairly. At the end of the day, it's still his job and he was not hired to do the Tour.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
From what i gather, he's on a really low salary (minimum wage + bonuses for the wins?!), so giving him the most important race of the season with the most pressure (for a sprinter) is unfair.

Loving the sport or not, it's reasonable for him to want to be payed fairly. At the end of the day, it's still his job and he was not hired to do the Tour.

Depends. You could also see it as an honour after the seasons he had. And a chance for him. Most people would probably pay to be allowed to do the Tour. If he doesn't want to do it just give the spot to Hodeg. :)
If he doesn't want the pressure and would mostly do it for the money and for the team, okay, then he should definitely be paid better. But otherwise...

I don't know, maybe it's also not really about the money but some kind of public outlook, from both sides.

It just seems like the initial negotiating stance from both sides, what with what PL wrote in his column and Cav reportedly said. He came into the team reportedly "with extra sponsors covering his low-level contract", which was understandable given his last few years. And I bet neither side envisaged that instead of touring around as a fading great to a few smaller events he could be the main sprinter at the TDF. It's a different role so imo it's understandable that they renegotiate. On the business side, he will bring a lot of attention to the team with all the talk of adding to his 30 stages, and seeing as he's showing signs of delivering on the performance side it would be strange to take him along on his "minimum contract" as presumably the lowest paid member of the team.

Who knows if he would do it for the same money, or even for free it it came down to it, just for the chance to perform there once more - perhaps, but he doesn't have to and both sides know it. If Bennett makes it there's nothing to negotiate, if he doesn't then Cav is in a strong position.

I wonder what Bennett's chances are, with the talk of resting "until Monday" I guess more news may come out soon.

Depends. You could also see it as an honour after the seasons he had. And a chance for him. Most people would probably pay to be allowed to do the Tour. If he doesn't want to do it just give the spot to Hodeg. :)
If he doesn't want the pressure and would mostly do it for the money and for the team, okay, then he should definitely be paid better. But otherwise...

I don't know, maybe it's also not really about the money but some kind of public outlook, from both sides.

I understand your point of view, but this isn't like DQS won't get anything back. How many times did he get second this year and we had news about it, yet no news on the winner? I can remember at least two. I'm sure they already got their money back and some more.

Cav has ridden the Tour plenty of times and has nothing more to prove. He doesn't need to ride the Tour again. He's doing fine and is very happy with the "sh*tty smaller races". I don't know what it takes to ride a 3 week race and all the preparation for it, but I'm sure he does very well, and it's likely not worth it for him to do it just to get some media time and try to win a stage. (And let's be honest, his chances are very small).

He hasn't done any important race this season and he never complained about it. He signed with DQS so he could retire with a bit more dignity and on his own terms, not to be the main sprinter for the team.

If Hodeg isn't being picked above Cavendish, that means more about Hodeg's lack of quality then on Cavendish's willingness to do the Tour.

Cycling is their job and they should be payed accordingly.

I understand your point of view, but this isn't like DQS won't get anything back. How many times did he get second this year and we had news about it, yet no news on the winner? I can remember at least two. I'm sure they already got their money back and some more.

Cav has ridden the Tour plenty of times and has nothing more to prove. He doesn't need to ride the Tour again. He's doing fine and is very happy with the "sh*tty smaller races". I don't know what it takes to ride a 3 week race and all the preparation for it, but I'm sure he does very well, and it's likely not worth it for him to do it just to get some media time and try to win a stage. (And let's be honest, his chances are very small).

He hasn't done any important race this season and he never complained about it. He signed with DQS so he could retire with a bit more dignity and on his own terms, not to be the main sprinter for the team.

If Hodeg isn't being picked above Cavendish, that means more about Hodeg's lack of quality then on Cavendish's willingness to do the Tour.

Cycling is their job and they should be payed accordingly.

Look, I know Hodeg has no place in the team, although I think with him it's also some things going on behind the scenes.

But about it's their job and they should be payed accordingly I don't really agree. It's not like he needs to starve. It's probably an honour to do the Tour and if it's not and he feels pressed and feels bad about it, he shouldn't do it. Give Ala more support or let Ballerini try.
People have contracts for a reason. A team can't say, oh no, you didn't deliver what we expected, so you will get less then what was stated, either.
If cav and pl agree that he should get some additional reward for his achievements, fine. But in the context of these things, like contracts and doing the Tour, it would appear weird to me that he should be able to demand more money because he's doing them a favour.

<->

Unless the contract explicitly states he won't be riding Le Tour, I'd think Cav just has to listen to his employer.

Quote from Lefevere;
“There is no real plan B (for) a sprinter,” Lefevere said of Bennett’s injury with the Tour getting so close. “I went to dinner with Mark Cavendish on Sunday evening and that’s where the question came up: Do you want to do another Grand Tour? Mark replied: ‘Not at this salary, no’. That may sound cynical, but I understand his point of view.

“Mark is 35-years-old and joined us at the last minute. At that time, the Tour was out of the question at all. He signed a minimum contract because we had minimal expectations. The cards are different now. His level is much better than expected.”

Lefevere is literally saying the contract was not written for Cav to ride a GT, and that it’s reasonable for Cav to expect a raise if he is going to ride a GT as the primary sprinter for the Quickstep team.

If Bennett is fit to ride the Tour, he will ride the Tour.

If Bennett is not fit, Lefevere will give Cav a raise and bring him to the Tour instead.

Quote from Lefevere;

Lefevere is literally saying the contract was not written for Cav to ride a GT, and that it’s reasonable for Cav to expect a raise if he is going to ride a GT as the primary sprinter for the Quickstep team.

If Bennett is fit to ride the Tour, he will ride the Tour.

If Bennett is not fit, Lefevere will give Cav a raise and bring him to the Tour instead.
Or take Jakobsen

Reactions: SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS