• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 119 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Quote from Lefevere;

Lefevere is literally saying the contract was not written for Cav to ride a GT, and that it’s reasonable for Cav to expect a raise if he is going to ride a GT as the primary sprinter for the Quickstep team.

If Bennett is fit to ride the Tour, he will ride the Tour.

If Bennett is not fit, Lefevere will give Cav a raise and bring him to the Tour instead.
This^

People are making it sound like Cav is demanding more money or he won't ride the TdF. My take is that he and Patty were having dinner and Patty said "what do you think about riding the TdF?" Cav joked back "not for the money I'm making". Laughs! From what I've read, Patty is the one saying Cav should get more money, but many, including here, are making it sound like Cav is demanding more $. IMO, Cav will jump at the chance to start the TdF. Also, IMO, Cav should be demanding more money, but do the TdF even if he doesn't get the money (obviously if SB can't go).

Maybe with Cavendish PL is trying to get extra-sponsor's money: We can only bring Cav to the Tour if you give me some additional money for that?
I think what u are saying is the closest to the truth. The sponsors would already be panicky if there is no exposure at the TDF. With Cav they get that, win or no win. He wants more money from his sponsors and i doubt he wants to give Cav any money. if he gets it, then he will take his cut, the team's cut and pass the rest to Cav

I think what u are saying is the closest to the truth. The sponsors would already be panicky if there is no exposure at the TDF. With Cav they get that, win or no win. He wants more money from his sponsors and i doubt he wants to give Cav any money. if he gets it, then he will take his cut, the team's cut and pass the rest to Cav
That sounds like the most PL thing ever, reminds me of Denk speculating a few mnths ago that he already has a deal with a sponsor, but isn't announcing it so that he can resign guys for less money.

Reactions: carolina
I'm just saying that I think Cav has no legal claim to demand more money.
I suppose PL has every right to make Cav race Le Tour on his current contract.

If PL wants to accomodate him, sure, by all means.
Competing on the biggestycling stage on a minimum wages sounds pretty wrong alltogether.

This^

People are making it sound like Cav is demanding more money or he won't ride the TdF. My take is that he and Patty were having dinner and Patty said "what do you think about riding the TdF?" Cav joked back "not for the money I'm making". Laughs! From what I've read, Patty is the one saying Cav should get more money, but many, including here, are making it sound like Cav is demanding more $. IMO, Cav will jump at the chance to start the TdF. Also, IMO, Cav should be demanding more money, but do the TdF even if he doesn't get the money (obviously if SB can't go).
So you were at that dinner too?

Jakobsen suffered a lot on the mountain stages of the Dauphine, he would not make it past the first week.

I think grand tours are just too much for him now in his recovery.
You think Cavendish will? I honestly can't see either finishing the TDF this year. On top of this Ewan is on fire, nobody is close to him right now with Bennett injured.

If I was Don Patrick I wouldn't even bother with a sprinter this year unless a stage win was guaranteed. Just take a team of raiders and aim to create chaos.

Bennett's replacement should be Cav. He is on form and the experience and the others are coming from the Giro or may not be on form. Having a sprinter in the bunch gives options to the breakaway rider to work comparatively less. Also it increases the chances of winning either way if the breakway suceeds or not

Reactions: jmdirt
You think Cavendish will? I honestly can't see either finishing the TDF this year. On top of this Ewan is on fire, nobody is close to him right now with Bennett injured.

If I was Don Patrick I wouldn't even bother with a sprinter this year unless a stage win was guaranteed. Just take a team of raiders and aim to create chaos.

There 7/8 sprint stages, not bringing a sprinter would be dumb and they literally have a sprinter who just beat most of the competition the other day.

If Bennett can indeed not get ready, I don't really see another option for DQ, than to bring Cavendish.

As others say, there are 7-8 sprint finishes, so not bringing a sprinter at all, would make absolutely no sense for DQ, who is not really a GC team anyway (despite Alaphilippe probably trying again).

Since neither Jakobsen, Hodeg or Ballerini are really at the level Cavendish is currently, the only logical choice is bringing him, as he is the only one that has a real shot, especially with the usually excellent DQ lead out.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
My gut feeling is Cavendish gets a reality check if he turns up to the TDF. Ewan, Merlier and Colbrelli are flying and Cavendish winning a TDS stage is not the same as winning a TDF stage. Then there's Demare quietly building form along with Sagan, Matthews and Nizzolo.

I get what you're all saying here with the first week, but TBH the most in form sprinter Quickstep has is probably Morkov.

It's not 2009 any more folks and outside the 2016 Tour, Cavendish has shown little since 2014.

My gut feeling is Cavendish gets a reality check if he turns up to the TDF. Ewan, Merlier and Colbrelli are flying and Cavendish winning a TDS stage is not the same as winning a TDF stage. Then there's Demare quietly building form along with Sagan, Matthews and Nizzolo.

Cavendish is faster than Colbrelli, Sagan, Matthews and Nizzolo. Demare's wins have all came in small French races and against an out of form Ewan in Valenciana.

I get what you're all saying here with the first week, but TBH the most in form sprinter Quickstep has is probably Morkov.

Delusional.

Reactions: saunaking
With all his improvement I have still seen Cavendish getting dropped quite easily this season, but then I definitely haven't seen all his races, especially not the Tour of Belgium. Anyway, after they proved me very wrong when I thought he was completely finished, I don't dare to write him off for the Tour although everything inside of me tells me to do so.

It's not 2009 any more folks and outside the 2016 Tour, Cavendish has shown little since 2014.
He just beat Merlier at BBT. IMO, Cav could win a TdF stage this year.

With all his improvement I have still seen Cavendish getting dropped quite easily this season, but then I definitely haven't seen all his races, especially not the Tour of Belgium. Anyway, after they proved me very wrong when I thought he was completely finished, I don't dare to write him off for the Tour although everything inside of me tells me to do so.

You should watch the last stage sprint finish in Belgium Tour, I think you may change your mind.

It wasn't a sprint with messed up lead outs or people getting blocked and not getting to sprint. - It was a straight up drag race with Merlier, on each side of the road, for 200 metres - and Cavendish won it.

He looked like his old self - though not quite as dominant - but IMO definitely good enough to contest sprints in the Tour.

The other thing is, that an in-form Cavendish, even without winning stages, can very well be in contention for green, especially if Sagan and Colbrelli need to do a lot of work, because their GC guys are doing well.

i think the reality check will come not in the sprints but when he is OTL in one of the mountain stages.

I think that is impossible to judge for us, by what he has raced this year.

Sure, he got completely blown out in Andalucia, but he climbed pretty well (for a sprinter) in Turkey and Coppi e Bartali.

If DQ thinks he cannot complete the race, he is certainly not getting a spot - bringing a sprinter that cannot make it to Champs-Elysees, makes no sense for a team of DQs stature.

I think that is impossible to judge for us, by what he has raced this year.

Sure, he got completely blown out in Andalucia, but he climbed pretty well (for a sprinter) in Turkey and Coppi e Bartali.

If DQ thinks he cannot complete the race, he is certainly not getting a spot - bringing a sprinter that cannot make it to Champs-Elysees, makes no sense for a team of DQs stature.

He was ill in Andalucia so that did not help.

TRENDING THREADS