• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 124 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Who knows... I didn't believe it before the Tour, but if you win once, winning another isn't outlandish.
I didn’t believe last year towards the end of the year and thought it was time to hang them up. I’m ecstatic he didn’t listen to anyone and is back. All year he has been getting better. In Turkey I said he’d win 6 and Belgium 1 and he got 4 and 1. Before the Tour I said 5 and green. Still far to go but there’s a chance. The key is the mountains.

Reactions: spalco
It is quite amazing.

This year he has really been hitting his stride again in upwards trajectory. He got more wins coming into this race than some of the others guys tbf. Sure in some lesser races, but still. In some of those he has beaten most of them. With confidence and being in good shape anything is possible.

Im sure the other sprinters, who tbh doesnt look to be in the best form or those who have crashed, might find it difficult here.

Cavendish also have a very strong team around him. Maybe the best sprint train in the world around him. He doesnt have to fight for position and can save a little bit in that way. Small stuff that can make the difference in the end. If he has the legs and power to execute it then it will be very interesting to see if he has a shot at the record.

I'm speechless. Cav winning a stage and back in green. What a comeback! Now for 3 more...
I think the record of 34 really puts a tiny part of what Merckx did into perspective. The best sprinter of the era hasn't even been able to match his number of wins in the Tour. This is while he was winning 5 Tours, the Maillot Pois, the green jersey...just...staggering what he did, really.

I think the record of 34 really puts a tiny part of what Merckx did into perspective. The best sprinter of the era hasn't even been able to match his number of wins in the Tour. This is while he was winning 5 Tours, the Maillot Pois, the green jersey...just...staggering what he did, really.

Merckx also has dozens of gt stage podium finishes (would have to look up the precise number), which Cav doesn't. He almost always won when he got into the top3.

Reactions: red_flanders

I wouldn't be surprised if Cav gets to 34 and stops because he respects cycling and the greats of the sport, but records are there to be broken and if he were to equal or even surpass it, then given what he has been through the last few years and the different generations of sprinters he has been up against through his career, it would be a remarkable achievement and I reckon Eddy Merckx would be the first to congratulate him.

Reactions: RedheadDane
I used to dislike Cav a long time back as I found him kind of cocky or entitled.

Then I started appreciating his fairly technical interview summaries of races.

Now Im a fan because I realize how much bike racing means to him.
I never understood this view of Cav as entitled. I will never forget the interview after his 2011 World Champs win. He not only talked about the 7 other guys on the team. He thanked all of the riders who had busted their nuts chasing the points all season to get GB 8 riders in the race. He’s always been a humble guy thankful for those around him.

I never understood this view of Cav as entitled. I will never forget the interview after his 2011 World Champs win. He not only talked about the 7 other guys on the team. He thanked all of the riders who had busted their nuts chasing the points all season to get GB 8 riders in the race. He’s always been a humble guy thankful for those around him.

Yep. I read Jens Voigt's book and he spoke about a time in a stage (I think it was in TdF) when Cavendish helped him on a descent to try and get him back to the peloton and Voigt was surprised a millionaire rider like him would do such a thing. He's always had a heart of gold, but he wears that golden heart on his sleeve which sometimes leads to the odd outburst.

TRENDING THREADS