• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 135 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Really, really hope he rides a couple of sixes this fall ... maybe London with Morkov and Gent with Keisse ... or both with Keisse? It would be fantastic for the fans and his kids, but I'm not holding my breath. He would certainly need to be compensated as the GOAT TdF stage winner and I guess it still depends on the state of the 'rona epidemic.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Really, really hope he rides a couple of sixes this fall ... maybe London with Morkov and Gent with Keisse ... or both with Keisse? It would be fantastic for the fans and his kids, but I'm not holding my breath. He would certainly need to be compensated as the GOAT TdF stage winner and I guess it still depends on the state of the 'rona epidemic.

He could also do the Copenhagen Six Three Day Event.

I hope he's doing the Tour of Denmark. If it's not on his schedule, I shall personally channel my inner BlueRoads, and bring him here!

Reactions: oldcrank
He is so dominant that the "climbing" sprinters (Matthews and Colbrelli) don't even stand a chance for Green. Although Colbrelli is also too weak in the mass sprints.
A “climbing sprinter” was always an unlikely green jersey this year with so few middle-mountain stages, or intermediates after a couple of low-cat climbs. In the end, it’s going to the only top flight “pure sprinter” left in the race.

A 'finished' Cav won more TdF stages this year for QuickStep than he did in 3 years for them while in his prime. And he called those 3 years as his best.

Tbf, those were the years where he had his toughest competition. Peak Kittel and Greipel and Sagan; almost all of his 2nd, 3rd and 4th places at the Tour are behind some combination of those 3.

Oh, and he crashed out on stage 1 of 2014.

Tbf, those were the years where he had his toughest competition. Peak Kittel and Greipel and Sagan; almost all of his 2nd, 3rd and 4th places at the Tour are behind some combination of those 3.

Oh, and he crashed out on stage 1 of 2014.
Agreed. Then 2013 had full Giro and if you believe him riding a new spare bike since his was damaged with a crank 2.5mm longer. 2014 crashed. 2015 he wasn’t in as good shape to last the 3 weeks so wasn’t good in Paris and Quickstep and he (especially him) were firing way earlier than needed in stage 2 and 5.

But he's stated countless times that he loves Denmark!
However, he's going to the Grand Depart next year, with or without his bike!
He can go to Denmark next year! Let him win more GT stages. Or heck go to Denmark for the first 3 stages and leave.

The problem is the continuum of sprinters into other types of rider. I think a good case can still be made for Freddy Maertens, but I also understand if you'd want to argue he isn't 'just' a sprinter, more a Peter Sagan or Paolo Bettini type.
With Maertens than you could argue Sean Kelly. Pure sprinter though it’s him or Cipollini depending on how you rate things. Next would be Petacchi.

The problem is the continuum of sprinters into other types of rider. I think a good case can still be made for Freddy Maertens, but I also understand if you'd want to argue he isn't 'just' a sprinter, more a Peter Sagan or Paolo Bettini type.

Thats exactly it. If you want to argue about great cyclists, there’s a lot to be said for Maertens. But as a sprinter specifically I don’t think he’s really in the same division as Cavendish.

TRENDING THREADS