• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 154 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The real reason is simple. Cav is not in the long term plans of QS.

They hit the jackpot on the lottery last year, but now their golden boy sprinter is back and its time to throw Cav back. Lefevwre doesnt really care he saved their TdF last year
Why should long term plans plans matter though, when short term he is still a cash cow to be milked at one last TdF? I'd have brought both he and Jakobson to the Tour, with the plan in mind to give the leadout to Cav in the first sprint for the record and then work for Jackobson in the others, with Cav as the alternative. What with the absence of Alaphilippe, a second option sprinter for QS would not a have been a bad idea, plus you take advantege of both short term and long term interests that way.

Last edited:
If Cavendish were to go to the Tour, it wouldn't just mean an additional problem for the sprint, putting on the sprint with the team, discussions and troubles with Jacobsen....
It also means that the team has one rider less to put on the sprint.
it also means that the team then has one less rider to attack.

As much as I would have loved to have seen Cavendish in the Tour, it would be a wrong decision that would work against the team.

getting closer Tim D out with covid, I'm guessing Florian will take his place,...but it only takes one more...and i'm still not sure Asgreen is fit enough....
Patrick is killing me. He really really doesn't want to take Cav. The Tour should invite him as a one man team wildcard :D ineos have money, little to ride for this year and an affinity for British riders - Patrick loves money, I'm sure they could come to an arrangement :D

So, what's he going to win?

One or two of the hilly stages of which there are very many this year?

His last season after the Giro:
Nationals, Denmark - 5th
San Sebastián - 3rd
Tour of Poland - 5th
Druivenkoers - Overijse - 2nd
Bretagne Classic - 3rd
Tour of Britain - 4th
Primus Classic - 4th
Worlds - crashed out

Alright, this season has been a disaster but if he has found that form as he says he has there is no way he should not be going.

If Cavendish were to go to the Tour, it wouldn't just mean an additional problem for the sprint, putting on the sprint with the team, discussions and troubles with Jacobsen....
It also means that the team has one rider less to put on the sprint.
it also means that the team then has one less rider to attack.

As much as I would have loved to have seen Cavendish in the Tour, it would be a wrong decision that would work against the team.
Bull-shi-t, just bring him to the f-ing Tour and see what happens. I mean it's not like it's a non-return on their investment, nor is Jacobson going to beat Merckx's record, whatever that means, just give US some f-ing entertainment for Chrissake!

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Bull-shi-t, just bring him to the f-ing Tour and see what happens. I mean it's not like it's a non-return on their investment, nor is Jacobson going to beat Merckx's record, whatever that means, just give US some f-ing entertainment for Chrissake!
Here you prove once again that you know NO-TH-ING about cycling.
It's about results, victories for the team. With Cavendish there, there is a good chance that things will go wrong a few times with the sprint train and with Jacobsen's chances. While Cavendish himself would not win. In addition, the team then has to ride a whole Tour with one less helper. And with one less rider who can attack and possibly win a stage. Great Britain's Championship is not the Tour. I am sure that any good U 23 from Belgium, the Netherlands, France.... could have easily knocked Cav out yesterday during that championship.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: jmdirt and dazaau
One or two of the hilly stages of which there are very many this year?

His last season after the Giro:
Nationals, Denmark - 5th
San Sebastián - 3rd
Tour of Poland - 5th
Druivenkoers - Overijse - 2nd
Bretagne Classic - 3rd
Tour of Britain - 4th
Primus Classic - 4th
Worlds - crashed out

Alright, this season has been a disaster but if he has found that form as he says he has there is no way he should not be going.
That's quite a lot of not quite winning listed there :sweatsmile: Not sure how that translates to winning on the biggest stage in cycling.

That's quite a lot of not quite winning listed there :sweatsmile: Not sure how that translates to winning on the biggest stage in cycling.
It's a team sport; he's there to help.
In football terms having Jakobsen and Cavendish is a bit like Man City picking Mahrez and Jesus as they are (or were before Jesus left) the two best right-sided forwards in the squad AND then insisting on playing them in the same position. It'd leave gaps elsewhere and they'd trip over each other.

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt
I saw Honoré live at the Nationals. Mads Pedersen was the strongest rider in the race on the hills, but after that it was Honoré. These climbs were a bit short for him and its not easy to follow a flying Mads Pedersen on short, explosive hills in rain. There are infinite opportunities for a rider like him this Tour, so if Alaf isn't ready, you'd be dumb not to select Bagioli and Honoré on a course like this IMO. The form is coming.

Asgreen however, I have absolutely no clue about.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Here you prove once again that you know NO-TH-ING about cycling.
It's about results, victories for the team. With Cavendish there, there is a good chance that things will go wrong a few times with the sprint train and with Jacobsen's chances. While Cavendish himself would not win. In addition, the team then has to ride a whole Tour with one less helper. And with one less rider who can attack and possibly win a stage. Great Britain's Championship is not the Tour. I am sure that any good U 23 from Belgium, the Netherlands, France.... could have easily knocked Cav out yesterday during that championship.
Well, you must have a crystal ball. Cavendish feels if he went to the Tour he would win. This means nothing of course, but were he to break the record, QS is assured dividends on their investment, No balls on their part evidently. And I get the team tactics, but not their strategy. I mean in the absence of an in form Alaphilippe they have little chance of a rider winning from an attack, for which one less helper doesn't matter. Now winning a sprint with Jacobson ruffles the water, whereas winning a sprint with Cav causes a sunami. No brainer, really.

Last edited:
Well, you must have a crystal ball. Cavendish feels if he went to the Tour he would win. This means nothing of course, but were he to break the record, QS Is assured dividends on their investment, No balls on their parte evidently.

QS is interested in having the best sprinter in the world. Jakobsen is a strong contender at the moment, Cav is just a bit old for that.
Also I'm not sure if Cav breaking the record would sell that many more floorboards.

In football terms having Jakobsen and Cavendish is a bit like Man City picking Mahrez and Jesus as they are (or were before Jesus left) the two best right-sided forwards in the squad AND then insisting on playing them in the same position. It'd leave gaps elsewhere and they'd trip over each other.
Or picking Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes game after f'ing game, tournament after f'ing tournament.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
Apples to oranges, cycling is not a team sport the way football is, as there are many ways of scoring and some don't gain overall win.

Last edited:
I think Honoré is being massively underrated on this forum.

Look at his 2021 fall season results and you may get an inkling as to why he is going.
I don’t think he is likely to be a top 3 favourite in any breakaway he might get into and they don’t really have a true GC guy to work for. With a fit Alaphillipe he would have had a role in winding up the pace to soften everyone up for a vicious attack from Alaphillipe.

As it is he has his work cut out to show he was worthy of his place and not just their due to his passport.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Apples to oranges, cycling is not a team sport the way football is, as there are many ways of scoring and some don't gain overall win.
So why bring up football? The DS plugs role players in and Julien is a more reliable chaser and tow motor, period. He can climb, too. Maybe not the first week but his form could improve.
Cav, to my knowledge has seldom done anything but suffer in the Alps, Pyrenees....The first of the too from a purely team strategy would not be Cav. If Jakobsen can win a sprint it will not be coming off Cav's wheel.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine

TRENDING THREADS