• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 156 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Those (4 and 15) were too hard for Jakobsen/Cavendish.
I think Cav could have contested it though who knows if that translates to a win. He was 4/4 before This point last year. Jakobsen has been 1/3. Now if he could have got through the mountains with the Giro in his legs is another question. All I know is Jakobsen winning was huge for him, but the team would have had a massive positive press if Cav was replaced. Whether that is fair or not isn’t up to us. Just like if Froome won on Alpe would have been a far bigger story then what Israel received with their two wins combined.

Maybe. But he wouldn't have won today either, and he might not have won stage 2 (I think he often missed the first opportunity in the Tour). If so, then it would all depend on stage 21 (after making it over all the mountains).

I think this year could have been a very frustrating race for Cavendish.
Isn’t he 50/50 on the first sprint in the Tour?
2009 won
2010 caught in a crash
2011 beaten by Farrar
2012 won
2013 caught in a crash, won first stage he contested
2014 crashed himself
2015 went far to early trying to make up for 2014 and beaten by Greipel
2016 won
2017 lost but wasn’t in good shape
2021 caught in a crash, won first stage he contested

4 times he lost by crash with him winning the next stage he contested twice, the other getting mugged by Petacchi, and crashing himself out.

I do agree with the last part.

Last edited:
Reactions: spalco and jmdirt
Nowhere near as successful a Tour for QS this year compared to when they took Cav. More to winning in Tours than looking fast in the spring it seems.

Thought i was losing my memory with people claiming Cav would have contested stage 4, Van Aert won by 8 seconds from a solo attack so the idea of Cav contesting the win...well only a fanboy would come up with such an idiotic suggestion. Lets give some context here, last year there was 5 bunch sprints by stage 13 with Cav winning 4, this year there was 2 by the same point in the race. There wasn't a single cat 3 climb on any of those stages, but Cav would have got over two Cat 3s on stage 15 this year, including one in the last 50km to win the stage...without Morkov....... according to the fanboys.

Maybe Cav fans should appreciate how many things went his way last year. I mean just look at the difference in Van Aert week 1 this Tour versus week one last year. No comparison. This Tour reminds me of when I first started watching cycling, far less sprint stages than modern Tours. Hard to rack up the wins when you only get3/4 chances each year.

Thought i was losing my memory with people claiming Cav would have contested stage 4, Van Aert won by 8 seconds from a solo attack so the idea of Cav contesting the win...well only a fanboy would come up with such an idiotic suggestion. Lets give some context here, last year there was 5 bunch sprints by stage 13 with Cav winning 4, this year there was 2 by the same point in the race. There wasn't a single cat 3 climb on any of those stages, but Cav would have got over two Cat 3s on stage 15 this year, including one in the last 50km to win the stage...without Morkov....... according to the fanboys.

Maybe Cav fans should appreciate how many things went his way last year. I mean just look at the difference in Van Aert week 1 this Tour versus week one last year. No comparison. This Tour reminds me of when I first started watching cycling, far less sprint stages than modern Tours. Hard to rack up the wins when you only get3/4 chances each year.
oh boy….

Shocking huh? Fans of Cav posting in the Cav thread. :rolleyes:

I enjoyed the lecture with my morning coffee though. Idiotic indeed.

Shocking huh? Fans of Cav posting in the Cav thread. :rolleyes:

I enjoyed the lecture with my morning coffee though. Idiotic indeed.

No problem with Cav fans, but claiming he could have contested stage 4 is fanboy phantasy land, likewise maybe Cav in his pomp might have been there on stage 15, but based on what we have seen this year that would have been very unlikely.

Maybe instead of whining, you might actually try and refute some of the points I made. It is a discussion forum after all.

TRENDING THREADS