• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 159 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Reactions: Hansi and tobydawq
If they are to sign Cavendish they should probably also sign 1 or 2 more riders to try to maximize his possibilities. Cees Bol should still be available right? Cav + Bol would probably be expensive for such a team, but the two of them together would really lift the team to be a serious contender for a Tour spot.
They've already signed plenty of riders who could be some help to Cavendish: Weemaes, Peak, Aniołkowski. It's almost like they had planned for this.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
If Cav now wins another TdF stage, he‘ll have 35 won, and has the most of all riders (Merckx also 34, at the moment).

I wonder why no team wants to offer Cav this possibility. They could say, „He won record stage number 35 with us!“…

Plus, Cav is still super fast. Just look at his palmares of 2022! He won several races, and also big races.

I like Human Powered Health team, but Cav still is a sprinter for a WT team, and should be at the TdF.

I dare to say he‘s still as fast as the currently fastest guys in the peloton. Now go for #35, Manxman! :)

Reactions: jmdirt
If Cav now wins another TdF stage, he‘ll have 35 won, and has the most of all riders (Merckx also 34, at the moment).

I wonder why no team wants to offer Cav this possibility. They could say, „He won record stage number 35 with us!“…

Plus, Cav is still super fast. Just look at his palmares of 2022! He won several races, and also big races.

I like Human Powered Health team, but Cav still is a sprinter for a WT team, and should be at the TdF.

I dare to say he‘s still as fast as the currently fastest guys in the peloton. Now go for #35, Manxman! :)

Maybe nobody wants to pay him what he's asking? At first he said he'd even ride for free if QuickStep took him on board. It didn't take long for him to forget he said that. He should go to Israel, they're used to pay 50 year old riders whatever they want and will still get a ticket for the TDF iirc. He could also help the team out getting points to get back to WT.

Maybe nobody wants to pay him what he's asking? At first he said he'd even ride for free if QuickStep took him on board. It didn't take long for him to forget he said that. He should go to Israel, they're used to pay 50 year old riders whatever they want and will still get a ticket for the TDF iirc. He could also help the team out getting points to get back to WT.

Yeah, money might be an issue.

If Cav had competent people at his side throughout his career, he could have tripled his money over the years with the right investments, and have a bank account of 100 millions of Dollars.

So I hope he joins a top team, and accepts to earn less there than he initially expected.

An investment in Cav‘s sprinter legs has never proven to be a disappointment. Everyone he rode for was happy with him.

Cav and Cees Bol are the top sprinters still on the market. Let‘s hope we‘ll see them on top WT teams in 2023…

Astana have unplanned extra slot and budget.
They seems to like signing tour winners.

View: https://twitter.com/AstanaQazTeam/status/1602378226327748616
I thought it was crazy as I don’t ever remember Astana having a sprinter but Vino is interested. Kind of poetic if it goes through in a way, win ORR gold in the last year/ win 35 or more stages in the last year.

I see the logic behind Astana's interest. They are probably hoping Cav accepts something like the rumoured when the returned to Quick Step: low base wage with high bonus.

With low monthly wage, maybe they could pay it for more months in a row, and with the kind of helpers and routines he would have there, they would save a lot in bonus.

Cav may have some sprinting left in him but he'll need more than a contract: He'll need a leadout faster than the other teams. Astana?

Wonder how the Astana team for Tour de France will look.

Lutsenko + Sanchez & Zeits as the climbing department.
Cavendish + Bol & Laas as the sprint department.

2 open spots: Fedorov would be a good candidate. Moscon if he finds back his previous form another. I think I wouldve prioritized a roleur who could get the sprint train in position, but dont know if they have that.

So the total cretin and Armstrong apologist joins the most clinical team of this and many eras.

guess I will be rooting for his utter failure.

Eh, I'm not that cynical. He's in the WT peloton and thus can race. Besides, it's clearly a new day at Astana: They booted MAL.

I'll be honest: Cav's "comeback" has made me a fan. The way he won the British RR title last year was pretty inspiring.:sunglasses:

Reactions: Wyndbrook
Eh, I'm not that cynical. He's in the WT peloton and thus can race. Besides, it's clearly a new day at Astana: They booted MAL.

I'll be honest: Cav's "comeback" has made me a fan. The way he won the British RR title last year was pretty inspiring.:sunglasses:
Well, some of us can be that cynical. That DQS didn't come to a conclusive offer speaks volumes as well. They've historically done well with rider personalities; even those with inflated sense of worth.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Well, some of us can be that cynical. That DQS didn't come to a conclusive offer speaks volumes as well. They've historically done well with rider personalities; even those with inflated sense of worth.

but the issue with DQS is they already have a sprinter or two for the tour and an Alaphillipe to fit in, and also arent terribly sentimental about keeping riders around when they dont think they need them anymore, its not to do with Cavs personality or self worth,plus I thought Cav had lately been using his personal sponsors to pay him.

none of it would even be a talking point had B&B not evaporated, alot of riders bought in to whatever they were promising and have been left up the creek without a paddle as a result.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
but the issue with DQS is they already have a sprinter or two for the tour and an Alaphillipe to fit in, and also arent terribly sentimental about keeping riders around when they dont think they need them anymore, its not to do with Cavs personality or self worth,plus I thought Cav had lately been using his personal sponsors to pay him.

none of it would even be a talking point had B&B not evaporated, alot of riders bought in to whatever they were promising and have been left up the creek without a paddle as a result.
So true. DQS always has a roster of finishers to satisfy their quotient of wins to fulfill sponsorship goals. However, when they pass on a historic opportunity for TdF wins, particularly when the DS may have some personal reason to see a historic record broken; it's not just about having a winning sprinter. You'd pay someone whatever it took to gain that record even if they only won and finished a single race all season. Either the cost or the risk may have been too high. It may have been both.

does his previous contract blocks his public appearances with other equipment/kit until 31.12.2022?

if his new team wants to present him with pictures on new equipment/kit, do they have to wait until 01.01.2023?

TRENDING THREADS