• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Matej Mohoric: Junior & U-23 world champ

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mohorič is actually the type of rider suitable for WC RR racing. We can only speculate on why but after Olympics Slovenian national team hasn't won much. On top of that it doesn't resemble a dream team. More or less Pogačar is trying to win something but national team like Belgium will likely get the better of him most of the times. It's a no brainier if you have Evenepoel and van Aert on how to tackle it. So if Pogačar doesn't win WC RR or WC ITT this year. Then in my opinion it's crucial for the management to get their act together. And acknowledge that currently they are operating on an amateur level not suitable for such generation. Now is the time to take titles and medals. We already wasted two good years. And that is a real shame. It's more or less obvious on why the dream team doesn't race together anymore. And this needs to change ASAP.

After the Tokyo Olympics a lot of the old staff left, including Andrej Hauptman (Sport Director at UAE). Apparently, there was some kind of drama going on behind the scenes but I never found out what was the real problem, exactly. This is likely a big reason for the recent lack of results, we can only hope things chance for the better before Paris 2024.

Realistically i feel that most likely scenario is forcing Pogačar plus B team. Now if Pogačar will win something. That in the end can still be justified. If he won't win much then we really blew it big. I mean we blew it big anyway. 70% of dream team not participating. It's shameful it came to that.

In years where not winning such races should be considered as a rather big failure and people managing the selection would need to take responsibility for it. We'll see.

Mohoric is a smart guy. He knows this course suit him down to the ground, and on top of all he's in great form. For him not going, there must be a big reason, either problems with the management (federation), or with Pogacar.
Pogacar himself didn't seem eager to go to Glasgow (he waited until last minute to take a decision). Maybe tomorrow he will prove me wrong, but I suspect he decided to go only so Slovenia can have at least one one of their big names at the start. He arrived in Gasgow only today and really doesn't give the impression he is going to be a major player tomorrow.

Mohoric: "I’m super proud of this achievement. The feeling is great. I had one of the best days on the bike; I enjoyed it so much!"

F77b4fuW4AALDVa

F77cB4JXoAATEjU

F77cQbnXMAAMufA

F77cX4PXwAAiAJD

You forgot about the recent cycling law that no rider can win MSR twice?

It's 12 years ago since there was an active rider in the pro peloton who had done it in his career. It's crazy.
The past 14 winners are all first time winners. We should run the math and calculate the odds of that assuming every rider on the startlist had the same chance of winning.

It's like how it takes 23 or so people in a room before the odds of 2 people having the same birth day goes >50%.

The past 14 winners are all first time winners. We should run the math and calculate the odds of that assuming every rider on the startlist had the same chance of winning.

It's like how it takes 23 or so people in a room before the odds of 2 people having the same birth day goes >50%.
I went and ran the numbers, if it were completely random it would be 65% of happening, I honestly thought it would be less, but riders obviously retire so you never have over 4% or former winners in any given year.