• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Matt Decanio

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Hog just posted something from this guy and I did a web search to see what he was about.

There's some rants, and this one's source is now a 404 so I am posting the link from whence it came.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/1474090-post4.html

From Matt Decanio:
Deplorable Conditions.
So many cycling fans around the world are getting up to ride their bikes today and to check out the latest in the news about cycling trying to find something good to improve their mood and to take their minds off the stresses in their work and what do they read? More about doping in cycling. Many are saying just get over it, everyone dopes let me just enjoy my sport, and many are saying this is b.s. I am tired of cycling and things need to change!

What is really going on? Well the truth of what is really going on is getting through on a very limited basis. You have those on the outside telling everyone that nothing is changing and you have the feel gooders telling you everything is improving. Ask yourself, “If we could trust the cycling media, wouldn’t From Lance to Landis be sold on VeloNews?” No it can’t be sold there because we are being manipulated by the system. I spoke to VeloNews and they said that they were scared of getting sued.

So now we have a system that is controlled by dishonest rich dopers with powerful lawyers who will do everything to stay in power and they will sell everyone out, and it doesn’t matter of the next generation fall to the wayside in either their anti-doping education or protection!

Go ahead people and blame the next doping positive on that man who wants to keep you down. That man is Lance Armstrong, and lets not forget Tomas Weisel the owner of USA Cycling who are basically one.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
One more, just because it's a new name, but this guy sounds .... well you be the judge.

http://su13.us/this_just_in___/view/18620/i_believe_dr__exum_is_the_man
This is what I think is going on with USADA vs. Lance Armstrong, this is my hypothesis.

In 2006 when I was at Interbike in Las Vegas I met with Dr. Wade Exum in person face to face with an eye witness being former professional and USA Cycling teammate of mine Justin Spinelli.

During this meeting Dr. Wade Exum told me for a fact that USA Cycling and the USOC had full knowledge of doping by US Cycling Team Members and that they allowed them to compete even after they tested positive for doping.

He told me then Lance Armstrong was being allowed to dope and also Tammy Thomas. I did some research of my own after I was fired and paired with my meeting with Dr. Exum, plus conversations with his very vocal wife Jan knew the exact questions to ask.

I asked Dr. Exum if Travis Tygart of USADA stood against him in court? The documents I had found mentioned that Travis Tygart was representing the USOC vs Dr Wade Exum. I had doubts about Travis after he stopped returning my calls and after my conversations with USADA that seemed to be fact finding to cover up rather than to end doping.

Dr. Wade Exum verified this information that Travis did stand against him as a member of the USOC's legal team which was hired from the lawfirm H.R.O.

<snipped>

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
A search on Dr Wade Exum turned up the following link:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/drugs/stories/top10.html
It is perhaps the biggest doping cover-up in all of sports.

Dr. Wade Exum's report that 19 American medallists were allowed to compete at various Olympic Games from 1988 to 2000 despite having earlier failed drug tests shocked some people in the sporting community but was no surprise to others.

For years, insiders had speculated that U.S. athletes were not immune to delving into doping to get ahead of the competition.

But how could this be? American athletes often spoke publicly against illegal drug use in sport, cursing the sports regimes of East Germany and China for systemic doping practices.

"There is no commitment to stopping the drug problem," said track and field star Carl Lewis in 2000. "People know the sport is dirty, the sport is so driven by records."

Little did Lewis know he would be named in Exum's report.

The five-time Olympic medallist was among the athletes named in more than 30,000 pages of documents released by former U.S. Olympic Committee anti-doping chief to Sports Illustrated and several newspapers in 2003. More than 100 athletes from several different sports tested positive for banned substances between 1988 and 2000 but were cleared by internal appeals processes.

According to Exum's evidence, Lewis was one of three eventual Olympic gold medallists who tested positive for banned stimulants in the months leading up to the 1988 Seoul Games.

Exum made the initial allegations about coverups in 2000, which led several sporting organizations – among them, the IOC, IAAF and the World Anti-Doping Agency – to pressure the USOC to re-examine how they conducted drug testing.

Soon, the USOC turned over drug testing responsibilities to the newly founded U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. Don't worry, the USOC assured, this type of cover-up will never happen again.

So far, it hasn't. (Well, aside from track and field's Jerome Young being allowed to compete – and win a gold medal – at the 2000 Sydney Olympics despite testing positive for steroids in 1999.)

<snipped>

the big ring said:

Exum, huh? He was USOC's Director of USOC's Drug Control Administration from 1991 until he resigned in 2000. He then sued USOC, and lost, claiming racial discrimination.

The Exum disclosures were made in 2003.

One of his arguments in his lawsuit was that USOC should have recommended him for USADA director.

Not taking issue with the quality of the disclosures, but it kind of reminds me of Trevor Graham snitching off BALCO.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Exum, huh? He was USOC's Director of USOC's Drug Control Administration from 1991 until he resigned in 2000. He then sued USOC, and lost, claiming racial discrimination.

The Exum disclosures were made in 2003.

One of his arguments in his lawsuit was that USOC should have recommended him for USADA director.

Not taking issue with the quality of the disclosures, but it kind of reminds me of Trevor Graham snitching off BALCO.

Decanio is claiming Tygart was on USOC's legal defense team?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
His website used to be a riot! I miss it sometimes, its as if he drank a bottle of whiskey before writing each time, he outed plenty of Pro Cyclist much like the clinic does now but he had better data on them :D Last I heard or remember he was paid to shut up or remove some of his content, forget where I read that and then looked at his site and a lot of the juicy stuff was removed. The Kit he sold made the Rock Kit look quiet.

Did he ever get his Porsche back?

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
roundabout said:
Decanio needs an editor first.

And no, this is not a dismissal of what he has to say, but it would make things easier to understand.
HE is basicly saying the same as Landis, he is also blacksheeped, only naming more names. He needs a ghostwriter like Kimmage, would be a great read.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
the big ring said:
Decanio is claiming Tygart was on USOC's legal defense team?

Tygart is a lawyer, prior to becoming CEO at USADA he worked for a private firm that specialized in sporting matters, which was often used by athletes and sports bodies including USOC.

roundabout said:
Decanio needs an editor first.

And no, this is not a dismissal of what he has to say, but it would make things easier to understand.
Decanio writing style is awful - but much of what he says has substance, but it can be difficult to work out what is opinion and what is accurate information.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Tygart is a lawyer, prior to becoming CEO at USADA he worked for a private firm that specialized in sporting matters, which was often used by athletes and sports bodies including USOC.

Based on what I am reading, Exum outed USOC, who defended themselves with Tygart, then setup USADA, putting Tygart in charge.

:eek:

This is one incestuous mess.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
the big ring said:
Based on what I am reading, Exum outed USOC, who defended themselves with Tygart, then setup USADA, putting Tygart in charge.

:eek:

This is one incestuous mess.

Well, what are you read? because on the snippet I read (posted by thehog) it was that Exum took a case against USOC for discrimination?

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Well, what are you read? because on the snippet I read (posted by thehog) it was that Exum took a case against USOC for discrimination?

the big ring said:

Dr. Wade Exum's report that 19 American medallists were allowed to compete at various Olympic Games from 1988 to 2000 despite having earlier failed drug tests shocked some people in the sporting community but was no surprise to others.

The five-time Olympic medallist was among the athletes named in more than 30,000 pages of documents released by former U.S. Olympic Committee anti-doping chief [ie Exum] to Sports Illustrated and several newspapers in 2003. More than 100 athletes from several different sports tested positive for banned substances between 1988 and 2000 but were cleared by internal appeals processes.
Exum made the initial allegations about coverups in 2000, which led several sporting organizations – among them, the IOC, IAAF and the World Anti-Doping Agency – to pressure the USOC to re-examine how they conducted drug testing.

Soon, the USOC turned over drug testing responsibilities to the newly founded U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. Don't worry, the USOC assured, this type of cover-up will never happen again.

So far, it hasn't. (Well, aside from track and field's Jerome Young being allowed to compete – and win a gold medal – at the 2000 Sydney Olympics despite testing positive for steroids in 1999.)

This is how I see the timeline:

Exum uncovers major cheating BS at USOC (internal appeals records, etc).
(Maybe Exum tries to clean stuff up with USOC directly???)
Exum tells IOC, IAAF and WADA about wtf is going on.
WADA et al say to USOC: WTF Dudes, like totally fix this sh!t.
USOC goes WTF Exum!?
USOC Creates EXcalibur (USADA) concept.
Exum says - I wanna be chief at USADA.
USOC says no effin way, Landis. er I mean Exum.
Exum resigns in disgust.
Exum sues for USOC being (discriminatory) ***.
USOC hires a lawyer (Tygart) to defend the charges.
Tygart wins, gets reward of USADA position. (this is the bit where Decanio says - I hope Tygart forgot to read what this was all really about - namely the cheating and stuff going on ALL OVER THE SHOP including USAC).
Exum watches another US cheating athlete compete at Olympic games and win gold medal.
Exum goes Wiggo on USOC and sends 30,000 pages of incriminating BS to Sports Illustrated, etc.

We need those 30,000 pages. Get me Assange on the phone, stat!

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/scorecard/news/2003/04/15/sc/

exum.jpg

As the USOC's director of drug control administration from 1991 to 2000, Dr. Wade Exum worked behind the curtain that separates fact from rumor in the world of drug testing. He started the job as a crusader, but he left it embittered and disillusioned. He also left with 30,000 pages of documents that he says prove that the USOC ran an ineffective testing program and encouraged the use of performance-enhancing drugs by not punishing those who tested positive.

Looks like there's not a lot in there, according to SI.com
Exum's records are piecemeal and do not provide a blanket condemnation of USOC testing. There's no evidence of widespread steroid use being covered up. Many positives are for substances found in over-the-counter medications, and other countries' federations have for years excused drug use by some of their athletes as accidental. Yet many athletes do get disqualified for testing positive for the substances that, for example, Lewis and Fernandez tested positive for. The IOC maintains that athletes are responsible for any drugs in their system.

Dredging This one Up Again

Apparetly, the stolenunderground site is back, or something like it. To get to the bomb-throwing posts, apparently one must subscribe to the tune of $200/yr.

http://su13.us/

The guy called out Rick Crawford a long time ago.

Still, I want the 10 minutes it took for me to figure out his site.