• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mauri Thread

dcd78b30-1aa2-11ea-890e-43212ce6fb8e_web_scale_0.661157_0.661157__.jpg

After an introduction to the World Tour in 2020 which was a bit spectacular but didn't deliver a spectacular result (FW), Mauri Vansevenant impressed in the Tour de la Provence this year, got third against Bernal and Mollema last week and won the GP Industria & Artigianato today against more than decent competition.
His style on the bike also beats Bauke, Pierre, Dan Martin and Schachmann, in my eyes it's the worst in the WT right now, but whatever works, works. Wouldn't want to change it! His father is Wim Vansevenant, so he knows a bit about cycling, anyway. He also did some cross as a teenager.
I'm expecting a lot more from this youngster, let's see how he does. Some might already dream of him as a strong domestique for Evenepoel, but I have a feeling he's a very ambitious guy who wants to win races. Next race: Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali. He's also going to do Basque Country, the Ardennes, Romandie and Tour de Suisse.

His triumph is one of the great WTFs of the modern era. But he did set the template for the Indurain era, crushing him (Big Mig!!!) in the ITT and forcing him to go on the offensive in the mountains. However he wasn't going well in the Pyrenees and what might have happened had the Pla de Beret stage not been annulled is destined for the "what if?" folder for all times. He was a complete out of nowhere GT threat, then he disappeared as quickly as he came, and while he later reinvented himself as a decent secondary contender and even got a Tour top 10 or two, he was never the man we saw in 1991 again.

dcd78b30-1aa2-11ea-890e-43212ce6fb8e_web_scale_0.661157_0.661157__.jpg

After an introduction to the World Tour in 2020 which was a bit spectacular but didn't deliver a spectacular result (FW), Mauri Vansevenant impressed in the Tour de la Provence this year, got third against Bernal and Mollema last week and won the GP Industria & Artigianato today against more than decent competition.
His style on the bike also beats Bauke, Pierre, Dan Martin and Schachmann, in my eyes it's the worst in the WT right now, but whatever works, works. Wouldn't want to change it! His father is Wim Vansevenant, so he knows a bit about cycling, anyway. He also did some cross as a teenager.
I'm expecting a lot more from this youngster, let's see how he does. Some might already dream of him as a strong domestique for Evenepoel, but I have a feeling he's a very ambitious guy who wants to win races. Next race: Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali. He's also going to do Basque Country, the Ardennes, Romandie and Tour de Suisse.

He's literally said numerous times he'd love a career as superdomestique for Evenepoel, even two weeks ago. That may very well change as he grows more successful but i don't think he will be a GC rider, so both aren't mutually exclusive.

I should never have opened this! Complaints about the title and my evaluation plus historic hijacking already...
But I chose a nice picture!
Don't be too hard on yourself. LS post about the old school Mauri was just classic. This is already my favorite thread. I always liked his father as a rider.....lanterne rouge, 3 years in a row is impressive...calculated rider. I am sure I will like the son too.

TRENDING THREADS