• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Maybe Now Euro's will catch on to the 29er

a 26er may be lighter, but the 29er is faster.

The story makes it sound like the Milka riders have the option to race either. It will be interesting to see what their favorite is at the end of the season - 26'er hard tail or 29er hard tail?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
You can build a lighter rig with 26" wheels. Since mountain bike racing is essentially won climbing, there's no reason for a rider to go 29'er besides the sponsor requiring it. (JHK et. al)

Does the bike industry want 29'ers to blow-up big? Yes. Your old kit is making you slow man!!! A 29'er makes you fast. Right?

I think what you would say if you were informed is it depends. Clearly the Milka guys aren't told to win on 29ers as they are. You read that right?

Stop with the' industry' conspiracy theory. is that all you got? is that why you responded to this thread I am surprised you didnt go the hippie card.

horses for courses.

It depends on the Rider. It depends on the course.

Please explain to us with out the hate how it is in your opinion that a 26er will out climb a 29er since that is you assertion with something other than well err uhhh it is lighter..errr I think

I will say from experience that I prefer not to ride a 29er on fast technical downhill with steep transitions up and out pf corners. Getting back to momentum and lumbering that rolling mass side to side ie problematic for me. If I were going to do shuttle runs with sick travel

However I prefer a 29 for climbing. I can actually run a light setup because I know I can build a wheel with lighter spokes and nipples because the bigger surface area will put less stress on the build. In addition I can run tubeless and lower pressure. the momentum I gain and maintain makes me faster up that I am on a 26. the longer wheel base keeps my front on the ground and the bike fits me better. In that course that is my horse.

maybe now you will catch on to an option that might help you in certain opportunities

joe1265 said:
a 26er may be lighter, but the 29er is faster.

The story makes it sound like the Milka riders have the option to race either. It will be interesting to see what their favorite is at the end of the season - 26'er hard tail or 29er hard tail?

I don't want to dive into an endless debate about wheel sizes. I'm sorry I mentioned it.

This is question is the best way to leave it.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
I don't want to dive into an endless debate about wheel sizes. I'm sorry I mentioned it.

This is question is the best way to leave it.

you are missing the point entirely. I am not asking for a debate. I am not promoting one over the other.

that was your commentary.

thanks for the myopia

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I believe the 29er hype does indeed have a lot to do with marketing. However, most pro teams these days have both wheel sizes at their disposal. The choice generally seems to depend on the level of technical difficulty of a course. In tricky CC's it's mostly the 26er that gets the preference over the 29er. In longer distance stage racing or marathon where it's more about fast rolling the 29er seems to be the general choice.

A pure roadie mate of mine who recently got to try out a 29er in the wild remarked how simingly easy it was to roll over obstacles. He says on a 26er he struggles a lot to have a smooth ride the 29er on the other hand is a breeze to ride. That's exactly how I see it, too. The longer wheel base and bigger wheel size makes the 29er more appealing to people with less off-road skills. And nothing wrong with that I say. The more people get out in the dirt the better!

Although, I'm still not buying a 29er!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
justliketocycle said:
What do you think about those lugged 29er we see in NAHBS like Engin cycles etc.?

I think they're sexy as hell, but maybe not the most efficient racers. I ride/race a steel 29er (albeit not lugged :(), and it's spec'd quite decently and she's a bit of a tank at 12,75 KGs (28,1 pounds)...

alpine_chav said:
Euros don't do 29ers? I see loads of them about.

They're definitely popping up more and more here. The scene here is still dominated by the HT 26er though. There are two masters guys racing on the GF (cough Trek) 29er superfly 100 here...man that's a nice bike, but silly expensive here as well.

I will say I do miss my 26er on certain courses/terrain, so Boeing's "horses for courses" seems apt to me.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, considering the equipment that has been at the top of WC since the introduction of 29" wheels I'm not sure what the Euros have to "catch on" too.

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site