• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McQuaid to sue Kimmage? for €6000!

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
function said:
To paraphrase;

1) UCI are not corrupt
2) Kimmage may have no defence he could take to court

MarkvW did not state that UCI were not corrupt, he stated that Kimmage may have no legal defence, there is a difference of meaning between those two statements. Assuming they are the same is quite the leap of logic.

I would have preferred if Markvw clarified his point, but regardless I don't see how there would be a difficulty legally showing corruption.

Definition of corrupt from dictionary.com:
1. guilty of dishonest practices, as bribery; lacking integrity; crooked: a corrupt judge.
2. debased in character; depraved; perverted; wicked; evil: a corrupt society.
3. made inferior by errors or alterations, as a text.

It depends on exactly what was said in the l'Equipe piece - but there is obviously the fiasco of the donation, that no-one from the UCI can say when, how much and show what was bought or what these funds were used on.
Which satisfies number 1 above.

frenchfry said:
Do these guys sign a pledge to be corrupt, arrogant, omerta upholding a-holes before becoming UCI president? Isn't there any way to get rid of them?

To reach the top, their treachery precedes them. McQuaid's racing in South Africa during apartheid rule is but one example. My recollection is there were punishments handed out at the time. It's like an entrance exam to the UCI/IOC.

The UCI Overlord had this to say "@Bonnie_D_Ford are you feeling saddened by the fact that we're suing Kimmage? Don't worry, keep it up, we'll get to you after"

That is exactly the point.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
To reach the top, their treachery precedes them. McQuaid's racing in South Africa during apartheid rule is but one example. My recollection is there were punishments handed out at the time. It's like an entrance exam to the UCI/IOC.

The UCI Overlord had this to say "@Bonnie_D_Ford are you feeling saddened by the fact that we're suing Kimmage? Don't worry, keep it up, we'll get to you after"

That is exactly the point.

I hope you are aware that @UCI Overlord is Pat in drag? :)

If it had some semblance of fact it would be just encouraging a handing around of the hat amongst the media and others to raise a fighting fund for Kimmage.

That would call UCI's hand.

Irish plumbers may not have $6000 but Texan cyclists have nothing: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/12ad2412-4b9a-11e1-b980-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1l3YxKpe9

The bottom is about to fall out. I hear.

All in all, prospects aren’t looking so bright for the electronics retailer.

“Given its already lean cost structure, RadioShack has little room to tighten its cost structure to preserve its overall margin rate,” UBS says. “This adds great uncertainty to its long-term profit outlook.”

Yet, the UCI has its own image problems when it comes to enforcing its policies. Most famously, both Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis accused the organization of selectively enforcing tests involving Lance Armstrong. And to add to this perception that the UCI may not be the exemplar it claims to be, during his career Armstrong donated $125,000 to the UCI at the same time he was riding under their governance.

While both Armstrong and the UCI say accusations of underhanded dealings are nonsense, and while neither Hamilton nor Landis have much credibility, the balloons of suspicion have been released. Of these accusations, McQuaid responds that they are “very unfortunate, but the UCI refutes it completely. The UCI will not accept to be accused of corruption. We will act and we are acting because Floyd Landis accused us directly of corruption. We won’t accept that. The UCI has always worked with whatever measures were available to it, and I’m talking about scientific measures, to fight against doping.”

Referring to Marion Jones, the track and field athlete who returned her five Sydney Olympic gold medals after admitting that she had been doping, McQuaid points out that athletes in cycling and other sports can work with doctors and scientists to beat the system. “Marion Jones, you know, who claimed to have done so many hundred anti-doping tests during her career and she was never caught positive, she beat the system.”

McQuaid is clearly exasperated by doping athletes who work with scientists and doctors for years to outfox testing protocols, and then point to all their testing negatives as proof of their purity: “You can’t blame that on the UCI. We can only work with what the scientific community provides us with.”

As for the accusations that the UCI protects certain riders, he concludes, “To be accused of not being consistent in our decisions and how we go after dopers is completely unacceptable and there’s no evidence to that effect. There are guys making stories, guys whose careers are over who can say what they want; they’ve obviously no respect for the sport of cycling anymore and they couldn’t care less about it and all they want to do is bring it down and bring people down with it. But the UCI is big enough and strong enough and the sport of cycling is strong enough that guys like that will not bring it down. It’s common practice for some reason in cycling that guys who get caught red handed, so to speak, turn and decide to blame everybody else but themselves.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/01/news/road/the-world-from-pats-chair_204934/3

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Denmark and Netherlands amongst the clean(est) countries?

hahahahahahha :D

There may be some cultural differences around protecting omerta - not many spanish hamiltons and landis'

there is absolutely no difference in propensity to dope. Brit/us/irish will dope just as quickly as a spaniard, french, italian

martinvickers said:
There may be some cultural differences around protecting omerta - not many spanish hamiltons and landis'

there is absolutely no difference in propensity to dope. Brit/us/irish will dope just as quickly as a spaniard, french, italian

It is fair to say that Italy has taken a strong line against doping though

May 26, 2010
Visit site
martinvickers said:

Jesús Manzano would beg to differ.

martinvickers said:

Yes.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Ah, Manzano was the original whistleblower.
You could add Tondo too.

Landis I agree with, but even Hamilton ignored USADA and only spoke when brought in to a Grand Jury.

martinvickers said:
Agree. Doping is what you do as a sports person to get an improvement, nationality is no barrier.

But Uncle Pat doesn't agree. :D

del1962 said:
It is fair to say that Italy has taken a strong line against doping though

Italy is protection dopers as much as most other countries.

Scarponi got a 3 months off season ban for using Ferrari. This was Scarponi's 2nd offense.

Pozatto got 6 months suspension after working with banned doping doc Ferrari. The ban was in effect just after the critical classics season.

Italy aren't serious about anti doping at this point. Its all fluff and PR.

Dazed and Confused said:
Italy is protection dopers as much as most other countries.

Scarponi got a 3 months off season ban for using Ferrari. This was Scarponi's 2nd offense.

Pozatto got 6 months suspension after working with banned doping doc Ferrari. The ban was in effect just after the critical classics season.

Italy aren't serious about anti doping at this point. Its all fluff and PR.

You realise that those suspensions are outside of The Code? CONI are doing over and above what they are required to do.

Ferminal said:
You realise that those suspensions are outside of The Code? CONI are doing over and above what they are required to do.

I didn't, but I could probably come up with some others examples: recordings of Ballans conversations with a chemist involving HGH, EPO etc. Nothing. di Luca's 2nd offense: 2 year ban. How much did he tell to get a reduction?

Mantova?
Padua?

Maybe these will lead to something, but I am not convinced.

Just my impression. Could be wrong.

Dazed and Confused said:
I didn't, but I could probably come up with some others examples: recordings of Ballans conversations with a chemist involving HGH, EPO etc. Nothing. di Luca's 2nd offense: 2 year ban. How much did he tell to get a reduction?

Mantova?
Padua?

Maybe these will lead to something, but I am not convinced.

Just my impression. Could be wrong.

I don't think Oil for Drugs was a Code sanction either?

Problem is when they don't have enough evidence for a non-analytical sanction under the Code. Or they might be borderline and it would take ages in the courts and then head to CAS. A lot of it could be lawyers just trying to clear the books. I still think they try harder than any other ADA, most others do not pursue non-analytical violations under any circumstances (USADA the welcome exception).

Ferminal said:
snipped..

I still think they try harder than any other ADA, most others do not pursue non-analytical violations under any circumstances (USADA the welcome exception).

Could very well be, but at some point I think these types of efforts needs to yield solid results to give the drive real credibility. I am very cynical about the entire system overall (worldwide), perhaps thats blinding the view

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Could very well be, but at some point I think these types of efforts needs to yield solid results to give the drive real credibility. I am very cynical about the entire system overall (worldwide), perhaps thats blinding the view
To be frank, I think it has.

Italy has probably one of the worst doping cultures in sport - but unlike some other countries has a very pro active anti-doping authority in CONI.
Scarponi got a slap on the wrist - but his 'crime' was being with Ferrari, how long did Vino or even Rogers get for their public admissions?

Dr. Maserati said:
To be frank, I think it has.

Italy has probably one of the worst doping cultures in sport - but unlike some other countries has a very pro active anti-doping authority in CONI.
Scarponi got a slap on the wrist - but his 'crime' was being with Ferrari, how long did Vino or even Rogers get for their public admissions?

I suppose the bar is so low that any initiative is a step in the right direction.

TRENDING THREADS