• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McQuaid's gotta go

The UCI has been a bumbling mess under his regime. Aside from the mishandling of the doping problem, he presided over the disasterous Pro Tour, made war on WADA and race organizers, and seems to publicly stick his foot in his mouth every two weeks. The UCI has become a joke under his rule.

He stands for reelection to the presidency this year. Is there any chance of getting rid of this buffoon? Or does his and Verbruggen's hold on the federations of all the small countries such that he cannot be unseated?

ingsve said:
I'd have to agree...

Does anyone know how the elections work? One national federation one vote?

Could be fun with some grass roots campaining, if there even is an opposing candidate...

I hope the german Sylvia Shenk runs again. When she ran last time she was the one who revealed that the UCI had accepted a $500K under the table payment from Armstrong. Put the germans in control and we would see a whole new approach to the doping situation and maybe an interesting audit of the UCI's books.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I hope the german Sylvia Shenk runs again. When she ran last time she was the one who revealed that the UCI had accepted a $500K under the table payment from Armstrong. Put the germans in control and we would see a whole new approach to the doping situation and maybe an interesting audit of the UCI's books.

No chance as the UCI have covered up enough shenanigans with the federations for them to want to keep the Verbruggen/McQuaid in power. Better the devil you know. Along with Verbruggen now at the IOC there is no chance in a loss of power. The IOC is the only ones who could influence change in the UCI with the Olympic stick. Expect to see these cronies running the show for a lot longer.

Yes Schenk was excellent although a little outspoken for the liking of many. She'd be great but has no chance of being elected. It memory serves correctly she ended up standing down ??

There is only one thing that scares Armstrong.......... a woman. She'd be great.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
No chance as the UCI have covered up enough shenanigans with the federations for them to want to keep the Verbruggen/McQuaid in power. Better the devil you know. Along with Verbruggen now at the IOC there is no chance in a loss of power.

Verbruggen is not officially with the IOC anymore. He is president of the General Association of International Sport Federations (GAISF). The GAISF is an organization that brings together many different sports federations including the UCI. Hein's plan is to rename it Sportaccord and move it to Lausanne. He is also planning to work with all the different federations to assist them with antidoping and compliance with the WADA code. Yes that is true I didn't make that up.

Epicycle said:
Verbruggen is not officially with the IOC anymore. He is president of the General Association of International Sport Federations (GAISF). The GAISF is an organization that brings together many different sports federations including the UCI. Hein's plan is to rename it Sportaccord and move it to Lausanne. He is also planning to work with all the different federations to assist them with antidoping and compliance with the WADA code. Yes that is true I didn't make that up.

Jeebus! It's like Bernie Madoff starting an organization to keep hedge funds honest.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:

F*rk me !

Here is a good article on how it all fits together from our friends at VeloNews:

http://www.velonews.com/article/91359/the-explainer---who-are-those-guys

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The sooner we boot this leprechaun* out the better for cycling!!

* Substitute with puppet/muppet/weasel as you see fit.

Yes name calling makes me feel better!!

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

You guys are so caught up in conspriacies......show me the proof that he donated as a way to prevent a positive.

BTW, I found this artilicle on another website:

Lance’s Anti-Doping Fight
Lance Armstrong has always fought to defend himself against slurs on his reputation as a clean athlete but less well known is his fight against doping itself behind the scenes. UCI president Hein Verbruggen spoke to ‘Eurosport’ and divulged that the American “gave money for the research against doping, to discover new anti-doping methods," “He gave money from his private funds, cash. He didn't want this to be known but he did it". Armstrong did not make this knowledge public and when questioned about the contribution said that “If I've donated money to the UCI to combat doping, step up controls and to fund research, it is not my job to issue a press release. That's a secret thing, because it's the right thing to do.” Eurosport.com also reports that when questioned about the amounts of money involved there followed “(Laughter) It was a fair amount. It wasn't... It wasn't a small amount of money".

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:
You guys are so caught up in conspriacies......show me the proof that he donated as a way to prevent a positive.

Lance Armstrong has always fought to defend himself against slurs on his reputation as a clean athlete but less well known is his fight against doping itself behind the scenes. UCI president Hein Verbruggen spoke to ‘Eurosport’ and divulged that the American “gave money for the research against doping, to discover new anti-doping methods," “He gave money from his private funds, cash. He didn't want this to be known but he did it". Armstrong did not make this knowledge public and when questioned about the contribution said that “If I've donated money to the UCI to combat doping, step up controls and to fund research, it is not my job to issue a press release. That's a secret thing, because it's the right thing to do.” Eurosport.com also reports that when questioned about the amounts of money involved there followed “(Laughter) It was a fair amount. It wasn't... It wasn't a small amount of money".

Of all the poor, naive people...

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't 6 positives as they did not test the B samples.......and were tested for independent research reasons......read the testing procedures that were done and the report.

BTW, that doesn't prove he paid 500k to prevent positive doping controls. Two sepearate items.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:
Wasn't 6 positives as they did not test the B samples.......and were tested for independent research reasons......

BTW, that doesn't prove he paid 500k to prevent positive doping controls. Two sepearate items.
Excuses...
TUE given after he tested positive? Saddle sores my a$$
Testimony given under oath by the Andreu couple, the list goes on and on...

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:
How does that prove it was a payment?

Sorry, my bad. I thought you contested he ever doped.
I guess it's the same thing anyway. Whoever keeps an open mind will see it for what it is, and whoever wants to believe: most tested athlete, never tested positive, blah, blah...
Naive

euphrades said:

It sounds to me like "Conflict of Interest". That is illegal itself.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Zoncolan said:
Sorry, my bad. I thought you contested he ever doped.
I guess it's the same thing anyway. Whoever keeps an open mind will see it for what it is, and whoever wants to believe: most tested athlete, never tested positive, blah, blah...
Naive

Ah.....I think he definitely doped before cancer. I have met Frankie and riden and raced with him a many times as I am from Michigan and he is based in metro Detroit. He is an honest guy. Besides that was the culture back then.

As I have said to many friends....I think a lot of the top guys like Armstrong and etc take things that aren't on the banned list......that is why they don't get positives.

I was looking for the proof that it was a payment for preventing positives. I had seen it before but without any proof and when I went looking that is what I found. Its amazing how people assume you are one sided when you ask a question.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Kennf1 said:
Back on point, how do we help get rid of McQuaid? Letter writing campaign? Yard signs (hah! wouldn't that confuse my neighbor).

You can't. Put yard signs up and many people, at least in America, will think you are strange becuase they don't know who he is.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
This "donation" came up during the SCI case against Armstrong. To which Lance had forgotten how much, to whom and why he gave the donation. He said he didn't know what was done with the money and why it didn’t appear on the UCI public donations list. He also couldn’t answer if it would be a conflict of interest or not or refused to answer one way or the other. There is a video link on a Canadian website.... I'll dig it up.... never seen a man so lost for words.

So much for the press release !!

euphrades said:

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:
Ah.....I think he definitely doped before cancer. I have met Frankie and riden and raced with him a many times as I am from Michigan and he is based in metro Detroit. He is an honest guy. Besides that was the culture back then.

As I have said to many friends....I think a lot of the top guys like Armstrong and etc take things that aren't on the banned list......that is why they don't get positives.

I was looking for the proof that it was a payment for preventing positives. I had seen it before but without any proof and when I went looking that is what I found. Its amazing how people assume you are one sided when you ask a question.
Like with the problem of doping, we need insiders to get rid of corruption.
I think it is highly unlikely, seeing how the guys who cooperated are snubbed by the pro teams.

Just one question. You say you think he doped before cancer. Does this mean you think he won those 7 Tours clean?

TRENDING THREADS