• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Media Coverage of the TDF / Doping

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
Regarding Kimmage though. His Day 16 Video Diary and the previous few videos actually,.are a waste of space. I wasted 5 minutes watching the Day 16 video where he talks to 2 arbitrary riders on Alp d'Huez. His motive for this I can only summise is 'his Ego'. The 2 riders, it turns out, do not know who they have just been talking to. Oh how funny - its Paul 'up my own a**' Kimmage.

http://www.independent.ie/videos/sport/day-16-of-paul-kimmages-tour-de-france-diary-29420566.html

He should stop messin about wasting time filming this rubbish and do some proper investigative journalism

He's fast losing his credibility. And how come he isn't at press conferences asking awkward questions. Instead of asking arbitrary riders why they are still wearing a Livestrong yellow wristband....WTF !

You go by the name Cycle Chic and you get all upset when a guy who obviously still enjoys the sport goes to one of its greatest climbs and talks to ordinary riders?
oldcrank said:
Excellent post, and I will not accuse you of praying at the feet
of the Texas Turd as happens most times someone calls out
Paul "me head's up me own @rse" Kimmage.
There are no supporters left of LA. The ones upset at Kimmage now are thin skinned Sky fans.

Dr. Maserati said:
You go by the name Cycle Chic and you get all upset when a guy who obviously still enjoys the sport goes to one of its greatest climbs and talks to ordinary riders?

There are no supporters left of LA. The ones upset at Kimmage now are thin skinned Sky fans.

Anyone can go to Alp d'huez and do that interview. I,ve seen it ad-infinitum. A journalist with his experience should be doing something worthwhile,..I think its called investigative journalism.

If he can do great Newstalk interviews why does he waste our time with videos of whats in the riders feeding musettes. Boring !!

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Gialanella analysis

http://video.gazzetta.it/gialanella-commenta-tappa-ventoux/64247544-ec9c-11e2-856a-75b87aad267d

Gialanella analysis-- someone posted about this earlier. To add a few translations:

-"Chris Froome's superiority today [on Mt. Ventoux] was embarrassing."

-"We've said that the performances of English team Sky have truly been at the human limit, and the data confirm that the quality he showed in the climbs is better than both Marco Pantanti and Lance Armstrong in the 2000 TdF."

-"Based on what we've seen on Mt. Ventoux, the Tour is already finished, and it will be a competition by Froome against himself."

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
Anyone can go to Alp d'huez and do that interview. I,ve seen it ad-infinitum. A journalist with his experience should be doing something worthwhile,..I think its called investigative journalism.

If he can do great Newstalk interviews why does he waste our time with videos of whats in the riders feeding musettes. Boring !!
Of course what you are saying is you want him to bust open the Sky secret.

While that would be nice, it is an Irish newspaper who have retained Paul, IIRC for only 4 editions for this Tour for a general audience.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Gialanella translation

http://video.gazzetta.it/gialanella-commenta-tappa-ventoux/64247544-ec9c-11e2-856a-75b87aad267d

Gialanella analysis-- someone posted about this earlier. To add a few translations:

-"Chris Froome's superiority today [on Mt. Ventoux] was embarrassing."

-"We've said that the performances of English team Sky have truly been at the human limit, and the data confirm that the quality he showed in the climbs is better than both Marco Pantanti and Lance Armstrong in the 2000 TdF."

-"Based on what we've seen on Mt. Ventoux, the Tour is already finished, and it will be a competition by Froome against himself."

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I watch stages on RAI via a crappy stream, so I'm escaping the wonders of the Flower Pot Men doing their tongue up butts commentary that had me watching the LA years with the sound turned off.

With regards other media coverage - erm, I think I'd go with tongue up butts again. If anything ever does come out about souped-up spin cycle Froome, the only guarantee I have is that it won't be coming from within the UK, or a News International outlet.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
Regarding Kimmage though. His Day 16 Video Diary and the previous few videos actually,.are a waste of space. I wasted 5 minutes watching the Day 16 video where he talks to 2 arbitrary riders on Alp d'Huez. His motive for this I can only summise is 'his Ego'. The 2 riders, it turns out, do not know who they have just been talking to. Oh how funny - its Paul 'up my own a**' Kimmage.

http://www.independent.ie/videos/sport/day-16-of-paul-kimmages-tour-de-france-diary-29420566.html

He should stop messin about wasting time filming this rubbish and do some proper investigative journalism

He's fast losing his credibility. And how come he isn't at press conferences asking awkward questions. Instead of asking arbitrary riders why they are still wearing a Livestrong yellow wristband....WTF !

The Newstalk interviews and Irish Independent column last Sunday have shown more than enough where Kimmage stands on all this.

Regarding the video diary, he is contracted by the Irish Indo to do that and anyway, how is a few mins video going to hinder his work at all. It's not like it's time consuming where it takes all day to put together.

Kimmage Naivety

http://www.independent.ie/videos/sport/day-17-of-paul-kimmages-tour-de-france-diary-29423814.html

Can someone explain why Kimmage puts so much emphasis on travelling with a Team as evidence of transparency and 'clean' ?

Does he think he can monitor whats going on in the Riders Rooms ? isn't that what Tyler stated, that they'd hang a blood bag from a picture frame in the room and the doctor would transfuse ?

Refill Rest Day - does he think he can monitor whats going on with every rider ? Vaughters must be laughing his socks off with the amount of publicity he's getting from Kimmage.

AT LAST someone speaks out.....Sojasun Manager Sebastian Heulot.

http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/sport/tour-de-france-froome-est-il-surnaturel_1266504.html

"Before, Froome has a huge hammer in generating a sense of déjà vu. Ridiculous. I did not even want to dwell. Too bad ... Yet there was a real awareness pack. Otherwise ... "laments the manager of the Sojasun team. "There was not even intelligence in terms of behavior. He speaks on the phone in the climb. Some said it would soon start singing. When the difficulty of a drink in the Ventoux is known. .. "is he unworthy.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
If there's one thing I love to have my ear listening to currently, it's the conversations between Walsh and Kimmage at the moment.

I wonder are they avoiding each other at this TdF? Because as Kimmage said on t'radio it is a street he does not want to go down. So I guess they said lets meet after and compare notes over a bottle of something red.

Benotti69 said:
I wonder are they avoiding each other at this TdF? Because as Kimmage said on t'radio it is a street he does not want to go down. So I guess they said lets meet after and compare notes over a bottle of something red.
Are you suggesting that Walsh could be running a confidence scheme on Sky? That could be hilarious if it's true...

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
http://www.independent.ie/videos/sport/day-17-of-paul-kimmages-tour-de-france-diary-29423814.html

Can someone explain why Kimmage puts so much emphasis on travelling with a Team as evidence of transparency and 'clean' ?

Does he think he can monitor whats going on in the Riders Rooms ? isn't that what Tyler stated, that they'd hang a blood bag from a picture frame in the room and the doctor would transfuse ?

Refill Rest Day - does he think he can monitor whats going on with every rider ? Vaughters must be laughing his socks off with the amount of publicity he's getting from Kimmage.

You see, Kimmage is right in many of what he said there but here is where I disagree with him. He criticises Sky for not allowing him to follow the team in the 2010 Tour and praises Garmin in allowing him to do so in the 2008 one. Now in 2013 he told Walsh not to do it with Sky when he requests a similar arrangement. And as we can see in the video above, Kimmage puts a lot of emphasis in all this but when Sky and Walsh do it now, it's not good enough for him but it was for him back then. Kimmage should also remember this, the 8 weeks that Walsh has been around the team is a lot longer than the 3 weeks that he had with Garmin in 2008. Nowhere does he seem to acknowledge this.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
You see, Kimmage is right in many of what he said there but here is where I disagree with him. He criticises Sky for not allowing him to follow the team in the 2010 Tour and praises Garmin in allowing him to do so in the 2008 one. Now in 2013 he told Walsh not to do it with Sky when he requests a similar arrangement. And as we can see in the video above, Kimmage puts a lot of emphasis in all this but when Sky and Walsh do it now, it's not good enough for him but it was for him back then. Kimmage should also remember this, the 8 weeks that Walsh has been around the team is a lot longer than the 3 weeks that he had with Garmin in 2008. Nowhere does he seem to acknowledge this.

Kimmage made this point at the Whistleblowers talk, Limmage said that Walsh will not find Emma O'Reillys, Betsy Andreus etc inside Sky, so better to be on the outside where he stood a better chance to find similar people willing to talk about Sky.

Also Walsh's tweets wouldn't lead someone like Emma or Betsy to talk to Walsh right now would they.

Kimmage was definitely used by JV in 2008, imo, not that Kimmage would agree, but i guess Kimmage could argue the difference of then and now. Garmin in 2008 were not ripping up the peloton like Sky. Garmin did not refuse a journalist the day before a TdF. Garmin have not written a 'tome' of anti doping for their team and then do the opposite by hiring the likes of Yates, Jullich and Leinders while proclaiming they would never do that. Sky have.

The differences between Garmin and Sky are big.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
gooner said:
If there's one thing I love to have my ear listening to currently, it's the conversations between Walsh and Kimmage at the moment.

I agree!
As I've posted elsewhere I have to trust Walsh and believe he will be fair and he will have some questions.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Kimmage made this point at the Whistleblowers talk, Limmage said that Walsh will not find Emma O'Reillys, Betsy Andreus etc inside Sky, so better to be on the outside where he stood a better chance to find similar people willing to talk about Sky.

Also Walsh's tweets wouldn't lead someone like Emma or Betsy to talk to Walsh right now would they.

Kimmage was definitely used by JV in 2008, imo, not that Kimmage would agree, but i guess Kimmage could argue the difference of then and now. Garmin in 2008 were not ripping up the peloton like Sky. Garmin did not refuse a journalist the day before a TdF. Garmin have not written a 'tome' of anti doping for their team and then do the opposite by hiring the likes of Yates, Jullich and Leinders while proclaiming they would never do that. Sky have.

The differences between Garmin and Sky are big.

good post.
plus: How does gooner overlook that Walsh is on Murdoch's payroll.
Kimmage wasn't on Garmin's payroll.
another big difference.
It's independent friggin journalism that we so desperately need.
Walsh provided that in the Lance era.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I doubted Walsh and felt he had a conflict of interest because he works for a Murdoch paper, which is of course true, and I felt that he had sold out somewhat.

But I would revise that now: I don't think if he has suspicions the ST will even print them, so I don't expect to hear anything from him while he remains working for that paper.

I wouldn't read anything into his apparent silence in the face of what looks obviously suspicious. I'd imagine if he finds something concrete of something he can't remain quiet about, he will jump ship and start asking questions. I don't think he can/will do that without jumping ship.

So, I would reserve judgment on him for the moment. I don't believe he has done a 180 on all of his journalistic principles to become a fan with a typewriter.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
good post.
plus: How does gooner overlook that Walsh is on Murdoch's payroll.
Kimmage wasn't on Garmin's payroll.
another big difference.

It's independent friggin journalism that we so desperately need.
Walsh provided that in the Lance era.

Walsh requested this on his own accord in the same way Kimmage did it in 2008. No difference. Kimmage in the Irish Indo video said having a journalist around for 3 weeks in the Tour shows the transparency. Now, why hasn't he acknowledged this with Walsh who is just as much respected if not more than him when he has been with them for a far longer period. He puts a lot of emphasis on the "embedded journalist" transparency with regards to himself but dismisses it with Walsh. That's something I'm not going to accept.

On the bolded part, you do know Kimmage was in the Sunday Times when he requested access to Sky for the 2010 Tour.

bewildered said:
I wouldn't read anything into his apparent silence in the face of what looks obviously suspicious. I'd imagine if he finds something concrete of something he can't remain quiet about, he will jump ship and start asking questions. I don't think he can/will do that without jumping ship.

Something like this is how I see things. The guy knows first-hand the stress/consequences of being "that guy." At the time, it seems he had plenty of confidential information. Maybe this time he doesn't, yet?

Don't write him off unless he's borrowing Sally Jenkins' prose.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
H2OUUP2 said:
The NBC coverage is terrible. Phil and Paul get a boner every time Froome takes off on Contador. They are building the english speaking guy versus the Spanish doper feud very well....At the end of the Ventoux stage they had a split screen of when Froome Finished, and when Contador finished. USA TV knows how to build heroes and villains very well.....Add that to watching Froome ride his bike and I can barely watch anymore.... I barely want to even look at my bike. It's such a joke.

If watching a television program makes you so upset about cycling that you "barely want to even look at your bike" I strongly urge you to turn the TV off or change the channel.

The NBC coverage is focused on the sport at hand, not the rumors and scandals that exist. That is what the forum is for, specifically the Clinic.

Sure, Phil and Paul are a bit clownish and are definitely doing what they are doing to increase ratings (as all TV programs seek to do), but that's their job. They are not investigative journalists, they are announcers.

TRENDING THREADS