• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread

Page 122 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the sceptic said:
thehog said:
I wonder if ebandit reports his own posts as much as he does to everyone attempting to get them banned. If you're debating skills is trying to get others banned then you don't have a lot to say.

I'm glad to see the mods have finally taken a stand against this cheap tactic to get people banned.

I've been told my posts get reported all the time. No doubt ebandit is one of them.

It's quite sad that people go to such lengths to get people banned when they disagree with their well crafted and reasoned posts. I don't have the time, nor the motivation to go around reporting posts of people I don't like, so again, thanks to the mods for making it a more level playing field in the clinic.

I dont believe that for a moment ...

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
King Boonen said:
The vast majority of members on this site get along just fine and never get suspended. I struggle to get my head around the concept that someone could get banned and not have any idea why.

Because they don't accept the explanation offered.

No one gets banned for behavioral infractions without multiple warnings. Don't think it's any more complicated than that, but I think your comment was rhetorical and understood this. Just agreeing.

Logged back in to see whether I had received replies to my PMs concerning my bans, none, and saw this so wanted to answer it.

The two most recent bans came without any warning at all. The first was from BigMac, I was logged into the board at the time, I went to another page and boom I was banned. I sent two emails asking for an explanation, both which were ignored. When the ban was lifted I PMed BigMac seeking an explanation, never got one until I PMed Afrank who must have messaged BigMac because eventually he replied and gave a very weak explanation. I went back to the thread concerned and nothing I posted there I consider trolling, just debate. I replied saying that, but that was ignored.

The most recent one again I was logged in at the time of the ban. For some reason Hog was posting about David Walsh on this thread, and so I can't remember exactly what I said but it would have queried my he was posting about Walsh here, but neither of us was trolling but we both were banned and the posts were deleted so I can only assume that was what triggered the ban. At worst the pair of us was talking off topic, so yes I'm siding with Hog, both of us were arbitrarily banned with zero warning by MrHender. I have PMed him and Afrank to see if I can get some clarification as to why we were.

Now while I hold different opinions to many of you, and can be robust in defending those opinions I'm not here to simply cause trouble, derail threads and be pointlessly argumentative. I do actually want to debate and exchange opinions, not to troll, so when I receive knee-jerk, ill-considered bans with zero communication and no explanation I find it incredibly frustrating. I mainly post here in spare moments at work so I am sure I'll easily find something else to fill those moments. However I have been on the board for several years, have enjoyed 'lively' debate with many of you over that time but it is only recently that the mods seem to be increasingly trigger happy with suspensions and worse dismissive of the member they ban if they can not be bothered to communicate to those members why they are receiving those bans. And I'm not saying that just for myself, I don't know if Hog knows why he was banned but if it was for the conversation in this thread that was off-topic then neither of us deserved it in the slightest.

And lastly to the term troll. It seems to be getting bandied about with increasing frequency on the forum. For me a troll is like the people during gamergate that issuing threats of rape and death against female game designers, or the twitterati that are calling for a boycott of the new Star Wars film because they cast a black actor as a Stormtropper, or Katie Hopkins calling refugees 'cockroaches'. It's not two people on a cycling forum having a disagreement over David Walsh.

And I'll step away from this post not knowing whether it is acceptable to say all of that, whether it will get deleted and whether I will be banned for it. As I said I'm waiting to hear back from the mods but wanted to express why I am frustrated here, whether you like me or you don't, but I can't continue contributing to the forum since for me there is no clarity on what triggers bans.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
TheSpud said:
the sceptic said:
thehog said:
I wonder if ebandit reports his own posts as much as he does to everyone attempting to get them banned. If you're debating skills is trying to get others banned then you don't have a lot to say.

I'm glad to see the mods have finally taken a stand against this cheap tactic to get people banned.

I've been told my posts get reported all the time. No doubt ebandit is one of them.

It's quite sad that people go to such lengths to get people banned when they disagree with their well crafted and reasoned posts. I don't have the time, nor the motivation to go around reporting posts of people I don't like, so again, thanks to the mods for making it a more level playing field in the clinic.

I dont believe that for a moment ...

ball, not man.

Ask the mods if you don't believe me.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
viewtopic.php?p=1830783#p1830783
The Hitch is banned one week for baiting/derailing.

interesting...i cant say i appreciate or depreciate his ban but 'not surprised' i am certain of... will skip the personal history (which generally involved attributing to me things i never said or could have said). did something similar constitute 'baiting and derailing' in the hitch ban ? i would be interested in a summary or a reference to the part of the forum which had resulted in the ban.

that said, it is interesting some of the latest discussion in the feedback forum was about some forumites trying to get their 'opponents' banned by abusing the report system. in that regard, - this is what i was a witness to - an episode of the hitch trying to get ray jay ' into the mods attention' comes to mind. no, it was not an 'unsophisticated' call for a ban...just several posts calling a disagreeable poster a troll and several inquiries in the feedback forum.

djpbaltimore said:
thehog said:
It is if you do it incessantly & write leading posts to the report the the reply. That's very poor form and obvious trolling.

Which is not the same thing as reporting a post. The intent when I report a post is to have the post deleted.

For you and I, yes. For ebandit the intent was very different. He was excessively reporting posts to get people banned. Very poor form and trolling. Mods did right in banning him.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Still no reply, no clarification offered, no idea of what I can or can't say. I realise the mods are volunteers but surely there is a system or some process in place. At the moment it just seems like ad-hoc decision making on the fly, then lacking the conviction to front up and explain those decisions.

red_flanders said:
King Boonen said:
The vast majority of members on this site get along just fine and never get suspended. I struggle to get my head around the concept that someone could get banned and not have any idea why.

Because they don't accept the explanation offered.

No one gets banned for behavioral infractions without multiple warnings. Don't think it's any more complicated than that, but I think your comment was rhetorical and understood this. Just agreeing.

Yup. ;)

Re: disagreeable

The Hitch said:
ebandit said:
.......and disagreed with many.......only in hyper hyperbole mode does the clinic

have a universal voice....................

Mark L

If the clinic has a universal voice then it is that BE is with that voice (he agrees Froome dopes, he agrees Radcliffe dopes, he agrees Bolt dopes, he agrees Contador and Nibali and Valverde dope)

If it doesn't have a universal voice then what is del complaining about?

Either way, del, as usual in his whining about posters being banned, doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Hey,I just got out of jail and am trying to catch up with past happenings.
At risk of opening myself up to ridicule (I'm not the swiftest ship in her majesty's fleet) who is BE and how is h/she associated with "the voice?"
And who the hell is del?

the delgados said:
The Hitch said:
ebandit said:
.......and disagreed with many.......only in hyper hyperbole mode does the clinic

Mark L

If the clinic has a universal voice then it is that BE is with that voice (he agrees Froome dopes, he agrees Radcliffe dopes, he agrees Bolt dopes, he agrees Contador and Nibali and Valverde dope)

Either way, del, as usual in his whining about posters being banned, doesn't have a leg to stand on.

At risk of opening myself up to ridicule (I'm not the swiftest ship in her majesty's fleet) who is BE and how is h/she associated with "the voice?"
And who the hell is del?
I think it's Bernies Eyesore. Del is del1962 (might have got the number wrong).

King Boonen said:
the delgados said:
The Hitch said:
ebandit said:

Mark L

And who the hell is del?
I think it's Bernies Eyesore. Del is del1962 (might have got the number wrong).

Thank you! Now back to regularly scheduled programming.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I got a ban fair enough. But there are a few posters who don't read my posts they just want to argue and make antagonist comments.
Did. The mods see the comment's?
Since I posted my. Trek weight weenie bike some posters have been nothing but a pain on the ar£%.
I started the pro gear thread with only good intentions yet I have still been subjected to sly childish remarks by jealous posters
The. Mods seem to let their endless remarks go unpunished
I was totally justified in my response.
If I get another ban then so be it. I won't be intimidated by idiots or jealous posters

Re:

ray j willings said:
I got a ban fair enough. But there are a few posters who don't read my posts they just want to argue and make antagonist comments.
Since I posted my. Trek weight weenie bike some posters have been nothing but a pain on the ar£%.
I started the pro gear thread with only good intentions yet I have still been subjected to sly childish remarks by jealous posters
If I get another ban then so be it. I won't be intimidated by idiots or jealous posters
Nothing personal Ray, but my take on the situation is that you have fairly strong opinions on equipment related subjects, combined with what I perceive to be relatively thin skin. The result is silly conflicts with a number of other posters, many of who are well intentioned but get sucked into the vortex.

Just my humble opinion, for what it's worth.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
I'm jealous and an idiot but I would never be baited into a discussion with you. :D

frenchfry said:
ray j willings said:
Nothing personal Ray, but my take on the situation is that you have fairly strong opinions on equipment related subjects, combined with what I perceive to be relatively thin skin. The result is silly conflicts with a number of other posters, many of who are well intentioned but get sucked into the vortex.

Ray was banned for foul language directed at others which could not be ignored. We won't ban people for whatever views they hold, namely on cycling-related issues. However, it has been decided when we banned Ray that we will pay more attention to the now-evident baits and bully-like abuse he receives simply for sharing his opinion on bike and equipment subjects, and take adequate action to prevent things from overheating.

PS: Sorry for not answering directly to your post, Ray, but it seemed appropriate to quote frenchfry.

Cheers.

BigMac said:
frenchfry said:
ray j willings said:

Ray was banned for foul language directed at others which could not be ignored. We won't ban people for whatever views they hold, namely on cycling-related issues. However, it has been decided when we banned Ray that we will pay more attention to the now-evident baits and bully-like abuse he receives simply for sharing his opinion on bike and equipment subjects, and take adequate action to prevent things from overheating.

PS: Sorry for not answering directly to your post, Ray, but it seemed appropriate to quote frenchfry.

Cheers.

really??

sounds like some preferential treatment being offered there??

ray is a big boy
i'm sure he doesn't need to be wrapped up in cotton wool and protected by the mods.....or does he??

we will pay more attention to the now-evident baits and bully-like abuse he receives

do you actually read these threads??

can you read upthread where he indicates other posters are a pain in the @rse, are intimidating, idiots and jealous.....

pot, kettle, black people

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

JackRabbitSlims said:
BigMac said:
frenchfry said:
ray j willings said:

Cheers.

really??

sounds like some preferential treatment being offered there??

ray is a big boy
i'm sure he doesn't need to be wrapped up in cotton wool and protected by the mods.....or does he??

we will pay more attention to the now-evident baits and bully-like abuse he receives

do you actually read these threads??

can you read upthread where he indicates other posters are a pain in the @rse, are intimidating, idiots and jealous.....

pot, kettle, black people
Went and read the thread. Umm yeah I think you are onto a thing. But all these guys love this RJ calling folks Jealous idiots. Which to be totally 100% honest ....I AM. So hey show me pic's of your ---------------bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS