• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mental or random cycling statistics

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
is caleb ewan the lanterne rouge of a grand tour with the best palmarès?
Just looking at the TdF you have Edwig Van Hooydonck in obvious first place due to his two Flanders wins. Jacky Durand and Joseph Groussard also have monument wins so complete the podium. Sam Bennett is very evenly matched with Ewan but his green jersey win carries more weight. He also has more WT one-day wins.

On second thoughts Ewan has won Scheldeprijs so maybe he is the best.

Reactions: Izzyeviel
I thought he had won the Green at some point.

Looking at his record, he's only won 6 points jerseys in his pro-career, which seems a bit mental doesn't it?

Edit: Also, Geraint finished 140th out of 141 at his first tour. Missed his chance of becoming the greatest lanterne rouge in history by six minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigCoward
Cavendish has now won in 7 different capital cities around the world. The number could be nine if he had also won in Muscat and Madrid, where he was 2nd.

Abu Dhabi / Berlin / Copenhague / Doha / London / Paris / Rome

Equals Kittel, who also won in 7 different capital cities (Abu Dhabi / Belfast / Berlin / Dublin / London / Paris / Warsaw)
I wouldn‘t count Belfast for Kittel.

• Wow
Reactions: Red Rick
I'm stealing this from reddit peloton, but I find it mental, so I'm sharing it:

This is the first ever Grand Tour that both Jack Haig and Primoz Roglic have both finished, while not both being on the podium.

Thus ends the era of the Haig-Roglic Tandem Theorem.

Unbelievable stuff. 😲

• Wow
Reactions: Red Rick
Cavendish has now won in 7 different capital cities around the world. The number could be nine if he had also won in Muscat and Madrid, where he was 2nd.

Abu Dhabi / Berlin / Copenhague / Doha / London / Paris / Rome

Equals Kittel, who also won in 7 different capital cities (Abu Dhabi / Belfast / Berlin / Dublin / London / Paris / Warsaw)
Greipel has them tied too - Vienna, Madrid, London, Berlin, Luxembourg (solo victory!), Brussels, Paris. Would have been more if Frederiksberg wasn't a separate municipality, and he has second places in Warsaw, Muscat and Libreville too.

Conversely, Cipollini has a grand total of one - his penultimate career victory in the 2005 Tour of Qatar.

Greipel has them tied too - Vienna, Madrid, London, Berlin, Luxembourg (solo victory!), Brussels, Paris. Would have been more if Frederiksberg wasn't a separate municipality, and he has second places in Warsaw, Muscat and Libreville too.

Conversely, Cipollini has a grand total of one - his penultimate career victory in the 2005 Tour of Qatar.
The 2011 WCRR was also a separate municipality.